• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daring "Chicken" Products

weinoo

So I open the Sunday Times yesterday morning, only to see an insert proclaiming chicken is broken.

And this company has the answer, with chicken "that's a lot braver, a lot bolder. A chicken that's smarter, healthier, and more sustainable."  All good things, right?

'Cept it ain't chicken. It's Daring.  And it's "chicken" that's made entirely out of plants.

Has anyone tried this dreck yet?  Cause I know I won't be.

Daring Foods Plant Chicken

They're gotten a couple hundred million dollars in funding, and are currently carried in 6000 Walmart stores.

HELP!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

So I open the Sunday Times yesterday morning, only to see an insert proclaiming chicken is broken.

And this company has the answer, with chicken "that's a lot braver, a lot bolder. A chicken that's smarter, healthier, and more sustainable."  All good things, right?

'Cept it ain't chicken. It's Daring.  And it's "chicken" that's made entirely out of plants.

Has anyone tried this dreck yet?  Cause I know I won't be.

Daring Foods Plant Chicken

They're gotten a couple hundred million dollars in funding, and are currently carried in 6000 Walmart stores.

HELP!

Dreck is the word I would use.  If I want chicken, I eat chicken.  If I want veg, I eat veg.  And enjoy all of those.

• Like 6

What is it  made of?

I tried the beyond meat recently, free from a HelloFresh promotion. It is some sort of modified soy. The flavor wasn't half bad but the texture was like a wet sponge and I ultimately could not eat it all.

I'm not against meat replacements, but it has to actually be something that could replace meat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrewk512 said:

What is it  made of?

I tried the beyond meat recently, free from a HelloFresh promotion. It is some sort of modified soy. The flavor wasn't half bad but the texture was like a wet sponge and I ultimately could not eat it all.

I'm not against meat replacements, but it has to actually be something that could replace meat

Impossible is soy, Beyond is pea protein IIRC.

We keep it on hand because my GF (and her mom) can no longer eat red meat for medical reasons, and in casseroles etc it's close enough. I doubt we'd buy this faux-chicken product, though, because she can eat real poultry.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I support vegetarianism/veganism.  The less people eating meat, the lower the demand, the lower the price :)

With all this mind, this plant chicken looks absolutely amazing! Plant based diets are so healthy!  Meat is murder! ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

Panda express is doing an orange chicken with the the beyond meat chicken substitute. Haven't tried it but early reviews from friends is good. 

That product is all about sauce and coating so makes sense, Our local Panda had the high school kids there and tradesmen there in loads at lunch and that was the favorite. You could see them cooking - nice woks!

• Like 1