• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What’s wrong with my russets

dans

I can’t remember the last time I bought a russet potato to bake and actually ate it. I allays end up cutting it open and finding it brown in the middle. I’ve tried different stores and they are all the same. I’m at the point where I am going to swear off baked potato and twice baked. 

here is a picture of what I’m experiencing. I don’t recall setting this much of an issuer until recently. 

3F0AF8C0-9733-4811-A61E-CD0498FAA594.jpeg

That's not uncommon, and typically results from inconsistent moisture during the growing season. It's variable from year to year. Apparently, this year was especially bad in Idaho.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/idaho-potato-growers-brace-for-inferior-crop/article_081809ad-4da3-5aaa-93cd-724119a9033a.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, dans said:

I can’t remember the last time I bought a russet potato to bake and actually ate it. I allays end up cutting it open and finding it brown in the middle. I’ve tried different stores and they are all the same. I’m at the point where I am going to swear off baked potato and twice baked. 

here is a picture of what I’m experiencing. I don’t recall setting this much of an issuer until recently. 

3F0AF8C0-9733-4811-A61E-CD0498FAA594.jpeg

That's too bad. Here in Seattle I've seen this maybe once or twice over the years. Hmm, I wonder what the uneven distribution cause is. (I do buy russet potatoes quite often; it's more or less my default potato choice.)

Well, before I posted this I decided to look up the russet potato, which I thought was automatically an Idaho potato. Apparently not. I amend the above statement to say that my default potato choice over the years has been the Idaho potato, which is a russet potato. But maybe your russet potato is different. 

I'm lucking if there's _one_ non-rotting onion in a bag from our local Giant.

a 20 year on-going situation.

anymore I only buy single onions from Giant, where I can examine them thoroughly.

across the road is Weis - which has a seriously superior produce section.... just don't buy meat or fish there.....

1 minute ago, AlaMoi said:

I'm lucking if there's _one_ non-rotting onion in a bag from our local Giant.

a 20 year on-going situation.

anymore I only buy single onions from Giant, where I can examine them thoroughly.

across the road is Weis - which has a seriously superior produce section.... just don't buy meat or fish there.....

I am the sentinel sniffer of rotting produce at my Ralphs/Kroger  The produce guys know if I cock my head and point they have a stinker. Usually citrus or onion. Yes I also do not but the bagged stuff - even my nose can miss a bad'un

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CentralMA said:

Been seeing this also....and onions have been coming through in marginal quality lately too. 

I buy from many stores, in a wide area. Seems to be all over the area.

I finally got a russet without the brown at Idylwildr in Acton. I made a "double stuff"  (Twice baked potato for those not in on the joke.)