• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks published in 2022

blue_dolphin

46 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Today I received Small Batch Bakes by Edd Kimber.  The serving sizes range from 1 (emergency chocolate chip cookie!) to 6, though most are 2 to 4. There are a lot of interesting looking recipes in there, such as Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars, Biscoff Stuffed Brownies, and something called Dulce de Leche Pain Suisse.  I think though, that the first thing I'll make is the Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake.  It has dulce de leche in the buttercream.  

The small batch concept is a good one, although a single emergency chocolate chip cookie sounds a bit, well, gimmicky. Unless it's a VERY large cookie. :) Do let us know how the recipes work out!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

The small batch concept is a good one, although a single emergency chocolate chip cookie sounds a bit, well, gimmicky. Unless it's a VERY large cookie. :) Do let us know how the recipes work out!

I’ve been tempted to try that cookie just to see, but given the time to mix, chill and bake, I’m not sure it’s suited for a true emergency 🙃
Recipe online here: Single-Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, hotsaucerman said:

someone gave me a copy of that "turkey and the wolf" cookbook and it's pretty fun! not sure it's a necessary buy for anyone on this forum but if you know a....maybe 15-35 year old who's interested in food and wants something a little more colorful, i'd req! lots of fun sandwiches and sides done in a way that aren't too intimidating.

so far i've made the chicken fried steak sandwich and a dish they call "mom's burnt tomatoes" which is sorta a tomato casserole thing. both were great albeit not reinventing the wheel too much but the writing/humor is A+. 

im guessing it's not new info to most regular cooks on the board but the chicken fried steak sandwich uses some of that chicken soup base stuff which is basically MSG+chicken seasoning...it works so well i kinda wanna throw it on a lotttt of stuff now

After making a version of The Tomato, I read through the rest of the book this evening and I second your A+ rating on the humorous writing which carries right on from the introduction to the headnotes and right through the recipe text . Reading  the recipes, I was alternately thinking, "who would do that???" or "I want to eat that!!!,"  often about the same recipe. Is elevated hangover food a thing?  If so, this is it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

After making a version of The Tomato, I read through the rest of the book this evening and I second your A+ rating on the humorous writing which carries right on from the introduction to the headnotes and right through the recipe text . Reading  the recipes, I was alternately thinking, "who would do that???" or "I want to eat that!!!,"  often about the same recipe. Is elevated hangover food a thing?  If so, this is it!

I might not be able to resist. I was taken by the title the first time I ran across it. Even though I do little cooking these days cookbooks still seem to have a greater appeal then most novels. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I might not be able to resist. I was taken by the title the first time I ran across it. Even though I do little cooking these days cookbooks still seem to have a greater appeal then most novels. 

I found it quite an entertaining read and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, should you decide to check it out. 
This Buffalo Waldorf Salad is an example of a recipe that has me scratching my head and licking my lips at the same time. Tart apple slices get battered and deep fried, then glazed with hot wing sauce and added to a salad with pickled celery, scallions, crumbled blue cheese and candied walnuts. Who does that???  I wanna try it!!!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

although a single emergency chocolate chip cookie sounds a bit, well, gimmicky. Unless it's a VERY large cookie. :) 

Agreed.  Still, it's silly enough I need to make it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Agreed.  Still, it's silly enough I need to make it.

Actually, now that I've read the recipe...so do I!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I must be in the minority here. The older I get the more my goals for meals change. If I'm going to take the trouble to cook something that appeals I want to come out the other side with.a LARGE one dish meal that can be eaten for days or frozen for later. I don't want to cook every meal, every day. Leftovers are my religion. Red beans and rice three days in a row? Fine with me. Baking? I want a big loaf or pie that I can hack away at or slice and toast for days to come. Baking one cookie at a time. What if it turns out to be a really good cookie? Don't you want another? 

Is there a recipe for one deviled egg?  The carbon footprint for this type of cooking isn't negligible. Heat your oven for twenty minutes. Bake one cookie. It just sounds nutty.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I just wanted to say what a generous serving  of recipes are in the Kindle sample of this book. So often all you get is the introductory material and no clue about the recipes and how they are formatted. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I just wanted to say what a generous serving  of recipes are in the Kindle sample of this book. So often all you get is the introductory material and no clue about the recipes and how they are formatted. 

True.  What you do get in the sample is a lot of info on the equipment you will need and the pantry items you should have on hand.  I too would like to see a couple more recipes in the sample.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The older I get the more my goals for meals change. If I'm going to take the trouble to cook something that appeals I want to come out the other side with.a LARGE one dish meal that can be eaten for days or frozen for later

I’m with you on the changes!  When I was working, I was usually out of the house from ~ 7 AM - 8 PM with business travel every other week. I did almost all my cooking on weekends to stock my freezer with lunches plus occasional evening baking projects. If a recipe didn’t yield good leftovers, I didn’t make it. 
Now, I have the luxury of cooking what I want, when I want. I was inspired by @SobaAddict70/ @ProfessionalHobbit and others here to cut recipes down to a single serving so I can try new things often. Sure there are things like quiche that I’ll happily eat days in a row but I generally try to mix things up. 

Is there a recipe for one deviled egg?

Not sure. I love trying different deviled egg recipes but usually make 2 eggs rather than one. 

The carbon footprint for this type of cooking isn't negligible. Heat your oven for twenty minutes. Bake one cookie. It just sounds nutty.

Yes, there is an environmental cost to living alone and cooking for one. It does concern me. 
I like to keep a log of World Peace cookies in the freezer so I can occasionally slice off 2 cookies and bake them in the CSO, which takes about 4 min to preheat, not quite the 20 min you’ve given for a big oven but I probably should reconsider being so wasteful. 

Edited to add that I generally use normal cookbooks and cut down the recipes, which generally works fine. For baking, however, I can see value in having recipes specifically tested with smaller pans, etc. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, there is an environmental cost to living alone and cooking for one. It does concern me. 

My big oven has not been on in years. I have 2 countertop ovens —the Cuisinart steam oven and the Breville smart oven and for one serving of most things both work quite well. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

My big oven has not been on in years. I have 2 countertop ovens —the Cuisinart steam oven and the Breville smart oven and for one serving of most things both work quite well. 

I have those ovens as well and they are the ones I use 99.9% of the time.  The big oven, other than for bread, I very seldom use, usually only when  my pan won't fit into the Breville.  I'm still making my cookie. But it will get baked in the CSO.  I'm likely to only make it once, so won't feel badly about it.

• Like 2

I made the chocolate chip cookie.  It's a good size, we shared it and it was enough to satisfy our sweet tooth. (Teeth?).  I did add a bit of vanilla powder and used chocolate chips instead of bar chocolate.  We enjoyed this cookie, I'll no doubt make it again.  Looking forward to hearing what you think k of it, @Smithy.

Edited to add:  I doubt it took me more than 5 minutes to throw this together.

20221005_193412.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added a sentence and attached a picture. (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Do share your thoughts.  I've been hearing good things about that one. 

The library demanded my copy back as they eventually do.  Though I am minded how a former manager explained how she delt with holds on books she had:  "She ain't get'in it, 'cause I ain't finished with it."

This pertains to Odette Williams Simple Pasta:  I read the first half and skimmed the second half.  The introduction and pasta directions drew me in.  The typography is easy for even my old eyes to read (mostly).  And while the pasta directions seemed sound, there is no enlightenment beyond the corpus of past pasta books, and I'm pretty sure I have more pasta books than the library.

Most of Simple Pasta is devoted to recipes involving pasta, arranged by seasons of the year.  My least favorite way of presenting recipes.  I give a pass if the author's name is Japanese.  "Williams" does not qualify.

Simple Pasta is not a bad pasta book, but for someone wanting a recent pasta book, Missy Robbins' Pasta is much better.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So, really on first look i really like it. Spanish only cookbook, geared towards home cooks, he doesn't shy away from using convienence products. That's not to say there isn't any creativity because there is and the recipes are very well written, clear and in grams. Easy to understand. Lots of pictures he also puts the recipe in context in a nice way. 

If you read Spanish i recommend it or even if you are a bit daring and comfortable using Google translate. Not geared to chefs but ad a Chef in interested to see what i might be inspired by 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My copy of Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cookie Bible arrived yesterday, ordered a year and a half ago.

My copy arrived on Tuesday as well.  I've been skimming it, and while I am touched by the emotional elements in the recipe headnotes (her mother's last word to her was "love") it seems to me quite a number of these recipes have appeared before.   Her other "bibles" have been so comprehensive on the subject matter (cake, pie);  maybe as I read through it more I will see the same level of detail.    I saw on social media that she is revising and updating the Cake Bible and I am hoping for great things there.

• Like 1

"I'm never buying any more new cookbooks", she said.  "In fact, I'm giving a lot of mine to the local library".   Famous last words.

Then the local library, with the 'dreadful' cookbook collection, bought Bonnie Stern & Anna Rupert, Don't Worry, Just Cook, Foreword by Yotam Ottolenghi, Penguin, Random House, Canada, 2022, and I am in cookbook heaven looking at the recipes and reading the stories.  I am definitely going to try some of them.  Wonderful.  I think I just might have to buy this book.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

"I'm never buying any more new cookbooks", she said.  "In fact, I'm giving a lot of mine to the local library".   Famous last words.

Then the local library, with the 'dreadful' cookbook collection, bought Bonnie Stern & Anna Rupert, Don't Worry, Just Cook, Foreword by Yotam Ottolenghi, Penguin, Random House, Canada, 2022, and I am in cookbook heaven looking at the recipes and reading the stories.  I am definitely going to try some of them.  Wonderful.  I think I just might have to buy this book.  

Not in our library system but I requested it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, Anna N said:

Although not due to be released until October 11, this looks like a most interesting book. 
The miracle of salt.

Previous books by Naomi Duguid include Burma: Rivers of Flavor, Beyond the Great Wall, and Flatbreads and Flavors (the latter two written with her ex,Jeffrey Alford). 
edited to add

Perhaps someone can post a eG-friendly link to amazon.com. 

Host's note:

Host's note: the link for Amazon orders in USA is

The Miracle of Salt (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I listened to an interview with Naomi on CBC this morning. Although I could never justify purchasing her book to cook from since I do so little of that these days, I don’t think I will be able to  resist  buying the Kindle edition for the pleasure of reading it. It would be the most expensive Kindle book I have ever purchased!

I don’t think she makes a great interview subject in terms of her ability to think on her feet but she was intriguing. 
She mentioned two or three recipes that had captured her imagination when she was writing the book. 
The one that had me most intrigued was an Acadian recipe for salted green onions to be used as a condiment or seasoning.
The other one that had apparently changed her cooking life was shio koji, Japanese fermented rice.  
The publication date was pushed back and is now slated for tomorrow I believe. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@chromedomehas posted a link to this interview here.

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I listened to an interview with Naomi on CBC this morning. Although I could never justify purchasing her book to cook from since I do so little of that these days, I don’t think I will be able to  resist  buying the Kindle edition for the pleasure of reading it. It would be the most expensive Kindle book I have ever purchased!

I don’t think she makes a great interview subject in terms of her ability to think on her feet but she was intriguing. 
She mentioned two or three recipes that had captured her imagination when she was writing the book. 
The one that had me most intrigued was an Acadian recipe for salted green onions to be used as a condiment or seasoning.
The other one that had apparently changed her cooking life was shio koji, Japanese fermented rice.  
The publication date was pushed back and is now slated for tomorrow I believe. 

Is this version of salted green onions of any use?

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.