• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks published in 2022

blue_dolphin

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm going to have to get hold of Rambutan by Cynthia Shanmugalingam - a new Sri Lankan cookbook. Possibly the best food I ever ate was in Sri Lanka in the the 1970s. More peaceful times.

A couple of recipes and more information here.

Nice review with a good sampling of recipes. Thanks for the heads up. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nice review with a good sampling of recipes. Thanks for the heads up. 

You are very welcome. I know I'm heavily biased but I'll never forget the food I ate in Sri Lanka, a truly beautiful but troubled country. It makes me so sad.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

43 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm going to have to get hold of Rambutan by Cynthia Shanmugalingam - a new Sri Lankan cookbook. Possibly the best food I ever ate was in Sri Lanka in the the 1970s. More peaceful times.

This looks really good.  I haven't been in the market for cookbooks, but the sample recipes look right up my alley.  I did enjoy looking at Sri Lankan food while reading @sartoric's travel blog a while back.  But how to make my own string hoppers?

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Very carefully!

Well I had no idea what string hoppers were.  YouTube to the rescue. 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, KennethT said:

This is a good read

It will be available here on the 23rd of this month. 

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks! I ordered a copy.  The recipes in the article are very appealing and it sounds like a book I'll enjoy both reading and cooking from. The hard copy won't be out in the US until October (what's up with that?) but the Kindle version will be available on June 23.  I decided on a hard copy from a UK source so I won't have it on the 23rd but it should be here before October!

I'm also anticipating delivery of three books that were part of Amazon's recent 3-for-the-price of 2 promotion when I ordered but not necessarily now.  Melina Hammer's A Year at Catbird Cottage (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) after listening to her recent convo here, Rick Martinez'sMi Cocina: Recipes and Rapture from My Kitchen in Mexico: A Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and Lukas Volger's Snacks for Dinner: Small Bites, Full Plates, Can't Lose (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by blue_dolphin
Tpyo (log)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

This looks really good.  I haven't been in the market for cookbooks, but the sample recipes look right up my alley.  I did enjoy looking at Sri Lankan food while reading @sartoric's travel blog a while back.  But how to make my own string hoppers?

@KennethT I wanted to buy a string hopper device in Sri Lanka but lost interest when the vendor wanted $50. He clearly thought I was born yesterday. 

• Like 1

someone gave me a copy of that "turkey and the wolf" cookbook and it's pretty fun! not sure it's a necessary buy for anyone on this forum but if you know a....maybe 15-35 year old who's interested in food and wants something a little more colorful, i'd req! lots of fun sandwiches and sides done in a way that aren't too intimidating.

so far i've made the chicken fried steak sandwich and a dish they call "mom's burnt tomatoes" which is sorta a tomato casserole thing. both were great albeit not reinventing the wheel too much but the writing/humor is A+. 

im guessing it's not new info to most regular cooks on the board but the chicken fried steak sandwich uses some of that chicken soup base stuff which is basically MSG+chicken seasoning...it works so well i kinda wanna throw it on a lotttt of stuff now

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hotsaucerman said:

someone gave me a copy of that "turkey and the wolf" cookbook and it's pretty fun! not sure it's a necessary buy for anyone on this forum but if you know a....maybe 15-35 year old who's interested in food and wants something a little more colorful, i'd req! lots of fun sandwiches and sides done in a way that aren't too intimidating.

I'm well outside of that age range but that's a book I'd like to check out.  I think I'll request that my library buy it so I don't have to!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up "Korean American" by Eric Kim off Amazon.  

I've lately been trying these kinds of recipes and I'm om love with the intense flavors.  While I haven't yet done a deep dive with the book it certainly came highly recommended.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lindag said:

I just picked up "Korean American" by Eric Kim off Amazon.  

I've lately been trying these kinds of recipes and I'm om love with the intense flavors.  While I haven't yet done a deep dive with the book it certainly came highly recommended.

In another thread, here’s what I said:

On 4/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Korean American - There's quite a generous excerpt from the book, including several recipes, available via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature which give a good sense of the book so I won't say too much here. I bought this one because I enjoy Eric Kim's writing so I knew I'd enjoy reading it and that has certainly been the case.  Eric worked on the book with his mom after moving back home to Atlanta during the pandemic. Lots of sweet family and personal stories that revolve around food and plenty of "Korean mom" tips tucked here and there in the recipes. 

The 9 recipes I've cooked from the book make me think of what my Korean friend's kids would eat on their own- that's because I started with simple toasts and easy breakfast dishes, as I usually do when dipping into a new book.  This link should take you to my posts. There are lots of more sophisticated recipes in the book and I look forward to cooking more of them. 

I wouldn't recommend this to someone whose focus is solely on the recipes and gets annoyed by extraneous writing in cookbooks.  The recipes here are well written, interesting, beautifully photographed and as personal as the stories but the writing is the star, for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered Six California Kitchens from my library and picked it up today.   i feel it was written by my doppelganger.    Roughly same age, eerily look-alikes, both self taught from Betty Crocker and Julia, similar palates.   Except that she became someone!     

Reading her recipes and reflecting on how she chose each one was like reliving my life through those eras,    I loved that I could taste each dish, and in fact had tasted many.   

One extraordinary standout for me was the Oxtail Terrine.    That will definitely find its way onto a fall or winter table soon.    Like everything in her book,  so very simple but so absolutely on flavor target. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

23 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I ordered Six California Kitchens from my library and picked it up today.   i feel it was written by my doppelganger.    Roughly same age, eerily look-alikes, both self taught from Betty Crocker and Julia, similar palates.   Except that she became someone!     

Reading her recipes and reflecting on how she chose each one was like reliving my life through those eras,    I loved that I could taste each dish, and in fact had tasted many.   

One extraordinary standout for me was the Oxtail Terrine.    That will definitely find its way onto a fall or winter table soon.    Like everything in her book,  so very simple but so absolutely on flavor target. 

The book is a treasure!  The oxtail terrine is simple perfection. 
Did you watch the recent NYT documentary?

• Thanks 1

Ali Slagle'sI Dream of Dinner (so you don't have to)  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is the book of the month in an online cookbook club I participate in.  In the Lunch topic, @Smithy mentioned an interest in the book and I wrote what turned into a book review so I though I'd best post it here rather than over there. 

This isn't a book that draws me in with captivating stories and charming header notes that inspire me to cook up a storm. I won't be curling up under a blanket to read it for literary pleasure.  It's a book of simple, straightforward recipes to put together a meal in a modest amount of time. Each recipe includes alternate options as I indicated for my lunch dish which makes it pantry/freezer friendly.  Everything I've made per the book has been quite good but the recipes are simple enough that you can easily see your way to adding your own twists if so inclined.  This is the book of the month in an online cookbook club I participate in and if there's a common thread in the posts, it's that people are pleasantly surprised by how flavorful or pretty or satisfying these simple recipes are.  I love contrasting textures in a dish and the book is very good at delivering there. 

As to the book itself, I'd say it's worth trying to get a look at and ideally, cooking a recipe or two. The Eat Your Books digital preview has a few recipes and Amazon's "Look Inside Feature" for I Dream of Dinner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)has a generous sample that includes the table of contents listing all the recipes, the whole egg chapter and a few other bits. 

There's a cute little section in the back (you can see it in the Amazon view) called Recipes by Cravings, Mood and Realities that makes for easy browsing to find something to suit the moment.  In an author interview, Ali Slagle said that she'd had to cut that section by like 75% which is too bad as we've discussed how hard it can be to figure out what to have once you get hangry and this seems like a great tool for those situations. 

I'm not wild about the way the recipes are formatted.  If you look at one of the previews, you'll see the ingredient names listed down the side of the page while the quantities are embedded in the text of the recipes.  It's not awful.  The numbered step-wise instructions are efficient, there's no need for mise en place here and the ingredients and quantities are bolded and easy to find but it annoys me a bit when mid-cook, I want to double check a quantity which requires me to scan through the text rather than just glance over.  In that same interview, it was mentioned that this style avoids "hidden prep" that can be buried in an ingredients list.  Like a cup of hazelnuts, blanched, peeled and chopped.  All the work is in the recipe text and that's a plus.

People have also called out some anomalous serving sizes.  She encourages people to sense check the recipes with respect to individual appetites and preferences, something I generally do anyway, though it can be easy to just follow the recipe when trying something new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Eat Your Books, I ordered Small Batch Bakes by Edd Kimber.  It is out in Canada October 4th.  The index intrigued me plus, since there are only the two of us, the serving sizes work for me.  I don't buy many cookbooks anymore, I buy mostly Kindle ones but I Iike leafing through a real book.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This isn't a book that draws me in with captivating stories and charming header notes that inspire me to cook up a storm.

That is too bad. That is the appeal of most cookbooks to me these days as I cook very little. But I do appreciate your review and I will check out the Amazon “Look Inside”. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Although not due to be released until October 11, this looks like a most interesting book. 
The miracle of salt.

Previous books by Naomi Duguid include Burma: Rivers of Flavor, Beyond the Great Wall, and Flatbreads and Flavors (the latter two written with her ex,Jeffrey Alford). 
edited to add

Perhaps someone can post a eG-friendly link to amazon.com. 

Host's note:

Host's note: the link for Amazon orders in USA is

The Miracle of Salt (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by Smithy
Added link per poster's request (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received Small Batch Bakes by Edd Kimber.  The serving sizes range from 1 (emergency chocolate chip cookie!) to 6, though most are 2 to 4. There are a lot of interesting looking recipes in there, such as Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars, Biscoff Stuffed Brownies, and something called Dulce de Leche Pain Suisse.  I think though, that the first thing I'll make is the Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake.  It has dulce de leche in the buttercream.  

• Like 1