• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #88: Wings

Duvel

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Bump - and just as a friendly reminder: Superbowl is coming …

Even Aldi Germany has jumped on the bandwagon and - befitting this topic - is offering American Chicken Wings (in two flavors, authenticity check pending) 😉

8BADD4B3-C36A-42AF-BC74-E92CADA92010.thumb.jpeg.0e95e9b978e632e5130691db3f4dce36.jpeg

Should I take a one for the team ?

And just because you might be interested what Germanys largest discounter offers for Superbowl, here the complete portfolio:

51472131-8F14-4460-95E3-BFD1F7BDEFA1.thumb.jpeg.ac71c2925705decbbf9f1fce350cb49a.jpeg

FD715625-99FB-4D71-854E-4104D392D0AB.thumb.jpeg.18c9f5d81e5b29675d8a0c9c0c5f4d37.jpeg

FE189B75-63FF-40E0-93C2-7E4E23EFABED.thumb.jpeg.3fed001694daf63ecaf3d16c862367e3.jpeg

I love seeing all this.  Very interesting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Sure, why not. Think bak kwa (but with different flavor profile)

Oh, I'm not surprised it exists in Germany or anywhere in Asia... but I've never seen it in the US - so I thought it was funny that they put it in the flyer for USA foods for the superbowl.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

Here XXL would refer to Extra Extra Large. What do you think  your bag is describing?

Here as well. The XXL refers to the bag size, definitely. I know that might not be the case in the US, but here one kilogram of frozen prepared food is considered a lot. It is usually frozen and sold in smaller portions.

38 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Oh, I'm not surprised it exists in Germany or anywhere in Asia... but I've never seen it in the US - so I thought it was funny that they put it in the flyer for USA foods for the superbowl.

Keep in mind, this is what the largest discounter in Germany has in its portfolio and “adapts” to a specific occasion (in this case Super Bowl). It doesn’t strife for authenticity, but rather what the customers will actually buy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Here as well. The XXL refers to the bag size, definitely. I know that might not be the case in the US, but here one kilogram of frozen prepared food is considered a lot. It is usually frozen and sold in smaller portions.

I get it Here "bigger is better" seems to prevail. So will you give them a go ?

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - I've never seen pork jerky before, even in my local Hmart (a Korean supermarket chain)

You've never been to the places in Chinatown?? They tend to have beef, pork and chicken. 

https://malaysiabeefjerky.com/

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yesterday, i had to take a drive up to Great Barrington, MA. Which means a stop for lunch at the fantastic West Taghkanic Diner, on the way home.

I'm in the back in this picture (from their web site)...

image.thumb.png.f5aeeb682449530eefb4801e00e1274b.png

He's got a beautiful smoker set up outside; pastrami, chicken, and various other smoked goodies are on the menu. Including...

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.bdacd0e6060dcac43b6e782d7a7cb3ce.jpeg

Smoked wings, tossed in Poor Devil hot sauce and topped with their house made blue cheese stuff.  Great.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

I leave this to popular vote 😝

Well I just think you could do so much better. Even if you made them we couldn’t taste them. And if you were, by some miracle, to declare them the best wings ever we still couldn’t get them. But if you put your imagination to work you could teach us new wing flavours that we might be able to duplicate. Of course your curiosity might override all my considerations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I’m trying to decide what flavor I’m going to use on the remainder of that bag of wings on Super Bowl Sunday. During which I will likely read, as I no longer have a dog in the fight.

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

22 minutes ago, dcarch said:

"popsicle style" chicken wings.

Sous vide, dehydrate and finally broiled for crispy skin.

dcarch

262514711_wings2022.thumb.JPG.144710e7f6f1c4d631c99d8751447880.JPG

1171009278_wings2022a.thumb.jpg.c369b26bd7153091475864a1b513e993.jpg

286938599_Nowings.thumb.jpg.8d9934c4649f2427b42bbc17cdedbe18.jpg

Can you explain the dehydrate step purpose?

@Duvel you joked about ostrich wings a while back. I think they use their wings to propel when running so probably (aside from cost) not a good plan ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

Sous vide, dehydrate and finally broiled for crispy skin.

Nice ones, @dcarch! I think we had a few of those precook/dry/crisp combinations and though laborious they seem to yield results …

I was wondering about your wings: I have not come across „full wings“ here so far. Even in the ethnic market (that are more Mediterranean/middle eastern here), wings are sold without the tip. Where do you source yours ?

9 hours ago, heidih said:

@Duvel you joked about ostrich wings a while back. I think they use their wings to propel when running so probably (aside from cost) not a good plan ;)

I wasn’t joking - in fact, I found a source for those in the US (link in my introduction post). For me it would be very interesting how ostrich wings compare - I mean ostrich meat is red, very much akin to beef. Can you imagine „beefy“ wings ?! Think of the possibilities 🤗

I would not worry about their „uselessness“. Farmed chickens use their wings most likely even less that ostriches, so texture should be fine and not too tough …

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I wasn’t joking - in fact, I found a source for those in the US (link in my introduction post). For me it would be very interesting how ostrich wings compare - I mean ostrich meat is red, very much akin to beef. Can you imagine „beefy“ wings ?! Think of the possibilities 🤗

I would not worry about their „uselessness“. Farmed chickens use their wings most likely even less that ostriches, so texture should be fine and not too tough …

I've seen ostrich meat - but it's usually ground or what they call "loin".  It's delicious, but expensive.  I'd imagine the wings are used in the ground meat.  Maybe someone could contat an ostrich farm and save a couple wings from the grinder?

• Like 1