• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #88: Wings

Duvel

I had frozen wings dating back to May 2020 (because on eGullet you tell the truth).  Too old to roast.  I made a traditional Russian dish called холодец.  Which is basically an aspic dish usually made with pigs trotters.  I blanched the wings, pressure cooked in instant pot for 30 minutes with previously made stock and duck legs confit jellied stock. Added a lonely carrot.  It should be served with horseradish but I did not have any.  Black currant mustard on the side.

915A22A1-4347-4DB7-A05F-51C44DD565BE.thumb.jpeg.8a5d12ba55e060e0db20f1eab34c63f0.jpeg

2532CF8F-FBCE-45CC-B036-B6B92F1ECD74.thumb.jpeg.0015ee412ce8ff09b3675a11459515f4.jpeg

66B50780-D58C-41A7-9378-D85AA1FA6D5B.thumb.jpeg.a32307ff8132a2ba0208ab5361bac871.jpeg

81C572DF-5225-4EEE-A1C0-A9907F427C00.thumb.jpeg.7d42d2f8db66728a8db69ff5832a505b.jpeg

C5E80506-CD58-4B19-ABF4-CBA00A837FA9.thumb.jpeg.e62ed9202efb50364b5afc9765e50c2b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

20220117_183833.thumb.jpg.291853dd594eed408ad9cfba3ce4a4bd.jpg

Wangs. (In the local vernacular.) Roughly Peruvian seasoning. Had no aji Amarillo, so I subbed a mix of ancho, guajillo and RG chile powder. Limes were found DOA, so subbed lemon juice.  Dipping sauce was LGD with mayo and sour cream.

Potato skins. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Perfectly adequate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

41 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I had frozen wings dating back to May 2020 (because on eGullet you tell the truth).  Too old to roast.  I made a traditional Russian dish called холодец.  Which is basically an aspic dish usually made with pigs trotters.  I blanched the wings, pressure cooked in instant pot for 30 minutes with previously made stock and duck legs confit jellied stock. Added a lonely carrot.  It should be served with horseradish but I did not have any.  Black currant mustard on the side.

2532CF8F-FBCE-45CC-B036-B6B92F1ECD74.thumb.jpeg.0015ee412ce8ff09b3675a11459515f4.jpeg

Do I observe correctly there is an unpeeled onion?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not my answer to give but I can share in Eastern Euro cooking- yes skin on brownie. in y cutur stock fer sure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

915A22A1-4347-4DB7-A05F-51C44DD565BE.thumb.jpeg.8a5d12ba55e060e0db20f1eab34c63f0.jpeg

66B50780-D58C-41A7-9378-D85AA1FA6D5B.thumb.jpeg.a32307ff8132a2ba0208ab5361bac871.jpeg

81C572DF-5225-4EEE-A1C0-A9907F427C00.thumb.jpeg.7d42d2f8db66728a8db69ff5832a505b.jpeg

a

Totally no my thing (though I am a cows foot soup person) but have to ask  on the black currant mustard - a purchased product or you make?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric 

Asian slaw

may I ask your Rx ?

Sure. I used finely shredded cabbage and carrots, thinly sliced red onion, some mung bean sprouts and mixed it all with this dressing:
https://www.recipetineats.com/asian-sesame-dressing/

Basically any veg you have on hand will work.

For crunch I added crispy noodles.

You could also use peanuts or other nuts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes.  Skin adds color.  I remove the outer layer and wash the onion prior to cooking.  Grandma used to collect onion skins to color eggs for Easter.  Food coloring was not available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Totally no my thing (though I am a cows foot soup person) but have to ask  on the black currant mustard - a purchased product or you make?

Bought some place in Napa, don’t remember where.  The color is pretty but I don’t really taste the currants.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Yes.  Skin adds color.  I remove the outer layer and wash the onion prior to cooking.  Grandma used to collect onion skins to color eggs for Easter.  Food coloring was not available.

I collect onion skins, too. Not for Easter, though.,

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

I do the same for chicken soup …

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Not sure the skin adds color to stock. Always looks pretty brown when I fish it out.

It does. As @chefmd explained, the “stock” made from boiling onion skins is not only colored, but is used (at least in Russia and Germany) to color eggs naturally. Red onions work great, too. It’s a nice activity for kids …

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kerala said:

Please could you point me to the spices in the mix?

Sure:

Equal parts whole Sichuan pepper, cumin seeds, (brown) sugar, MSG “substitute”*, chili powder, salt. Plus 1/3 part of fennel seeds, broken star anise, black cardamom, cloves and Kampot pepper corns**

All toasted in a hot pan and pulverized in a suitable blender.

* MSG “substitute”: 1 part dried mushrooms, 1/2 part Kombu, 1/5 part MSG (my addition)

** my addition

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...smoked turkey drumettes are technically wing parts right? I may not have my kitchen back in the way I want for another week but I picked these up today. Will freeze one. Other will have meat cut off. Bone and part of meat into a green split pea soup. Rest of meat into a comfort creamy dish with mushrooms and potatoes + lots of some lovely flat leaf parsley I got today. Will report back later in week when it happens.

turkey (2).JPG

• Like 7

20 hours ago, heidih said:

So...smoked turkey drumettes are technically wing parts right?

Yes, it qualifies 🥳

I am looking forward to see what you make out of these …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

Husband's grandma's wings for dinner yesterday. I'd added whole dried chilies. A little too heavy-handed on the dark soy, and needed a touch more vinegar. But tasty all the same!

image_67185409.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

This was surprisingly good. I did an early am quart zip-lock spicy marinade. A few hours. Then a dry brine and into the fridge uncovered. 4-5 hours. Then into a low oven for an hour, turned up the heat to finish at 425º. Turned once. 

End of a Colman's jar, added miso and rice wine vinegar. 

Darn if I forgot to use the fresh hot peppers again to garnish with thin slices. (right in front of my face). Nice feta salad side. 

(-checked ButcherBox and wings were not on my order. Must have used the wing pack to meet promised weight totals?)

Have not had Coleman's in years. A favorite Irish pub closed ten years ago. They always put a fresh unopened jar on every table. Amazon has an 8 jar bundle for 23$. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.09.25 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

As I said before, I decided to do @Norm Matthews’s Korean-style wings. These are perfect for us, because the spiciness can be adjusted at the table according to everyone’s personal palate.  I’ve served them to a wide array of palates and had return “customers” of every type.  I decided to brine them first and I’m glad that I did – wings can be easy to overcook and can get tough and dry.  Mine were juicy and tender – even rewarmed the next day.  The mize for coating the wings:

IMG_7926.jpg.240fa7ed719ceea4fea4d222f2e48500.jpg

It’s a bit unusual.  You mix the garlic, ginger, onion, S&P, and egg and toss the wings in it.  Then you add the flour/cornstarch mix and toss again.  Lots of cragginess:

IMG_7927.jpg.a7b68899bf6acda6c2a4347583cd7e9e.jpg

Frying:

IMG_7928.thumb.jpg.420339793d5619f2f41ea7ed7d7a51d6.jpg

I really do like using my electric skillet to fry in, but it takes forever to recover for the second batch! 

Mize for the glaze which is drizzled on the finished wings:

IMG_7925.thumb.jpg.75f0cb2a39b3c3ee92840513cfe11434.jpg

Finished wings:

IMG_7931.jpg.f6dd876390bae938e43c9beb0ddbd2a1.jpg

I didn’t drench the wings in the glaze, so they were very crisp.  I offered hot sauce but both Mr. Kim and Jess found them flavorful enough that they didn’t want it.  I hadn’t made these for a long time (and the last time I did the recipe with boneless thighs), so they were very welcome.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

COVER_Intermission_2.jpg

Wow - I am very impressed and even more happy with all the submissions we’ve had already in this Cook-Off. I know for certain that quite some members working behind the scenes on “their” wings, so we will be seeing more exciting versions in the upcoming weeks 🥳 …

One thing that I found very interesting is that so far we haven’t had any “classic” hot wings (if that label exists) and no discussion on the topic of hot sauces / butter / you name it that goes on these. Maybe that’s just my personal curiosity and for you it’s more of a standard item (or am I being biased here) ? After all, how many food items have spawned an entire talkshow, running now for 17 seasons:

(other than Gordon’s wimpy performance here, check out Padma’s take on it or the episode with Will Ferrell)

So - how do you prepare & serve your classic hot wings ?

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1