• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #88: Wings

Duvel

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Then again, she did tear into some amazing chicken wings we had at the satay club area of the East Coast Food Lagoon Village in Singapore, but I wonder if part of the appeal was hearing the hawkers shouting "Satay!!  Chicken Wing!!!!"  Those wings were marinated and deep fried with no batter or breading.  The skin was crisp and amazing...  I'm drooling just remembering it.

And so your personal challenge in the Cook-Off begins … I am looking forward to the results 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Air fryer wings in honey/ginger/sriracha glaze

844329276_005(15).thumb.jpg.29e8e96c4f884feb42012023898bc4da.jpg

Yummy - I love the honey / sriracha combo !

What ratios are you using ?

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Duvel said:

And so your personal challenge in the Cook-Off begins … I am looking forward to the results 🤗

hmmm.... I'll have to broach the subject and see if she'll be willing to take one for the team...  maybe it would help if I shouted "Satay!!!  Chicken Wing" with a thick Singaporean accent while standing in the kitchen....  and turn up the thermostat to 85F

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

hmmm.... I'll have to broach the subject and see if she'll be willing to take one for the team...  maybe it would help if I shouted "Satay!!!  Chicken Wing" with a thick Singaporean accent while standing in the kitchen....  and turn up the thermostat to 85F

That’s the spirit - whatever it takes  😉

• Like 1

I thought I'd stick to basics. Kenji's recipe was my instruction for this attempt.

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultimate-extra-crispy-double-fried-confit-buffalo-wings

Too hot for phase 1,too cool for phase 2. A bit dry, but tasty. Definitely worth trying again.

IMG_20220112_194103.jpg

Edited by Kerala
Rubbish pic was duplicated doubling my shame (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Yummy - I love the honey / sriracha combo !

What ratios are you using ?

Imprecise ones.  🙂 Few tbsp honey, tbsp soy, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp sriracha (or more)...heat up to thin it and toss the wings

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

EU has always been smarter than than US (and at times, Canada as well) when it comes to food/product safety. 

From what I have read, "there's damning health research around Carrageenan, suggesting that it is not necessarily safe to eat. It's been linked to IBD, IBS, rheumatoid arthritis and colon cancer and is thus banned in the European Union"

I wonder if they use it in fresh product or only frozen (I only buy fresh wings).

Who said that? Where is the quoted bit from?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Who said that? Where is the quoted bit from?

Our overlord, Google.

Granted its a somewhat debated topic, but where there's smoke.....surely the EU banned it for good reason.

Even if there is a chance that it poses dangers, it's presence in Chicken wings (or any other food for that matter) is absurd and unnecessary. 

So what do you all do with the 4 litres of oil you've fried your wings in? Down the drain, behind a bush, fry again once or twice the next day or two, keep frying until it's all sludged up?

I'll probably do croquettes on Friday and throw the oil behind a bush afterwards. In particular I don't like frying vegetarian food in oil that's been used to fry meat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kerala said:

So what do you all do with the 4 litres of oil you've fried your wings in? Down the drain, behind a bush, fry again once or twice the next day or two, keep frying until it's all sludged up?

I'll probably do croquettes on Friday and throw the oil behind a bush afterwards. In particular I don't like frying vegetarian food in oil that's been used to fry meat.

Put in a bottle and use it again.

But I bake wings usually

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kerala said:

I don't have that much, and ya'll will probably cringe, but I keep it in the cast iron skillet in the oven....clean any sludge out the next day when it's cool and then use it again.  I don't reuse when frying fish...it gets a bit fishy, but again,  I shallow fry, so there is really only like 2 inches of oil in the pan.

• Like 9

Strain out the solids and refrigerate.

Only your own nose/tastebuds can tell you how many uses you'll personally get, but when you decide you're done with it you can recycle it in some jurisdictions. Otherwise bin it, but don't put it down the drain.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Strain out the solids and refrigerate.

Only your own nose/tastebuds can tell you how many uses you'll personally get, but when you decide you're done with it you can recycle it in some jurisdictions. Otherwise bin it, but don't put it down the drain.

Yeah, we put ours in the garage fireplace on logs...makes you hungry lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, we put ours in the garage fireplace on logs...makes you hungry lol.

Edmonton had some buses running on biodiesel made from recycled fryer oil. Made them smell like french fries, which was pretty amusing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Correct. It ensures that those 15% salted chicken broth stay inside the meat, partly even in the cooked product (if you don’t overdo it). 

Just as an anecdote: adding flavored liquids to meat in Germany to increase weight is not allowed, unless the product specification calls for it (as in “pickled ox tongue”). Carrageenan itself is banned in the EU.

I'm puzzled.  Ireland is part of the EU.  Has not carrageenan been a staple of Irish cuisine for millennia?  Perhaps before some Peruvian peasant invented the potato.  Googling a bit I found no reports that carrageenan, E407, is banned in the EU.

I keep carrageenan on hand in the bedroom for my Modernist gelato.  Whether carrageenan belongs in chicken wings is another question.  One must ask why.  Does carrageenan make the meaty bits taste Eire?

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm puzzled.  Ireland is part of the EU.  Has not carrageenan been a staple of Irish cuisine for millennia?  Perhaps before some Peruvian peasant invented the potato.  Googling a bit I found no reports that carrageenan, E407, is banned in the EU.

I keep carrageenan on hand in the bedroom for my Modernist gelato.  Whether carrageenan belongs in chicken wings is another question.  One must ask why.  Does carrageenan make the meaty bits taste Eire?

Sorry, my wording was imprecise. The usage of carrageenan in several commercial applications is banned or restricted, amongst them formula, unprocessed meats, several dairy applications. Thresholds have been defined (75 mg/kg bw/d) and are temporary, until more conclusive data has been generated. Major concern is the difference of the toxicological essay of the high molecular weight carrageenan a, which are deemed unproblematic, and the lower MW aggregates, that have proven toxicity. The latter are a degradation product, thus a delayed toxicity cannot be ruled out.
Food-grade carrageenan is available, and you can use it at your own discretion. You may compare the situation to sodium nitrite: around for hundreds of years, used in traditional products, you can purchase it freely, it can be used under conditions in some commercial applications while it is banned for many others. YMMV.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Thanks 1

I figure this counts.  Cut up a store bought turkey a while back and saved out a quarter and a wing.  So, it's not wings, it's just wing lol.

Rubbed with butter, some lemon and fresh thyme.  Steam baked in the CSO at 350F for about 30 mins.

thumbnail_IMG_1764.jpg.dcfd9defb2abcabbcbc54b15213e1d54.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

16 hours ago, Kerala said:

I thought I'd stick to basics. Kenji's recipe was my instruction for this attempt.

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultimate-extra-crispy-double-fried-confit-buffalo-wings

Too hot for phase 1,too cool for phase 2. A bit dry, but tasty. Definitely worth trying again.

IMG_20220112_194103.jpg

Nice job, @Kerala !

How does Kenji‘s method perform in terms of retaining the crispiness of the wing after being sauced ? I understand the goal was to get the thin crackly layer on the outside of the wing, but does it persist in the hot sauce/butter environment ?

I am preparing now for the Mission Chinese method, that Kenji also referenced, which consists of prebaking, freezing and then deep-frying. But the „Chongqing chicken wings“ that Bowien makes are essentially dusted with a spice mixture rather than being sauced, so I guess the end result with retain its crispiness quite well …

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I figure this counts.  Cut up a store bought turkey a while back and saved out a quarter and a wing.  So, it's not wings, it's just wing lol.

For sure it does … 🤗

• Like 1

Ever since COVID started my desire to not waste ANYTHING has amplified 10x (I have always been very environmentally conscious, but our current situation seems to have magnified that).

That being said, curious if I am the only one who saves chicken bones (from any part of the bird) to make stock with after the fact?

When I told some friends about this they turned their nose in disgust "after they have been in peoples mouths!?" - I laughed and assured them the rolling boiling liquid will surely kill anything to concern yourself about.

Curious if I am the only one slowly going nuts 🥜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Ever since COVID started my desire to not waste ANYTHING has amplified 10x (I have always been very environmentally conscious, but our current situation seems to have magnified that).

That being said, curious if I am the only one who saves chicken bones (from any part of the bird) to make stock with after the fact?

When I told some friends about this they turned their nose in disgust "after they have been in peoples mouths!?" - I laughed and assured them the rolling boiling liquid will surely kill anything to concern yourself about.

I do use all bones, but not those that have been gnawed on! Rolling boiling water does NOT kill everything.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I always save the bones--but a lot of times they go out to the barn kittens if there are just a few such as what we had last night.

• Like 4