• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Wales!

happysoup

Hi all. Very glad to have found this site. So much info being shared by fellow foodies, what a great community to be part of. My interest is mainly in learning more about Chinese cooking but I can see that I’m really spoilt for culinary choice. Can’t wait to get stuck in. 

• Like 4

Hi, @happysoup!  Welcome to eGullet.  I've been near, but not in Wales and I'd love to come sometime.  We do have another Welsh member - @sheepish, who last visited a year ago, but perhaps can be lured back by a fellow Welsh person!  I'm looking forward to your posts (if you can make photos of Wales fit into the food theme, even better 😉).

4 hours ago, happysoup said:

Hi all. Very glad to have found this site. So much info being shared by fellow foodies, what a great community to be part of. My interest is mainly in learning more about Chinese cooking but I can see that I’m really spoilt for culinary choice. Can’t wait to get stuck in. 

Welcome.  I have visited Wales twice, most recently in 1973.  My archeology professor was a friend of the director of the National Museum, and when in Cardiff I got to examine the Roman armor in the museum collection.  Wales is a beautiful country.

Wish I could recollect something of the cuisine less memorable than kidney.  My archeology professor instructed me that when in Britain eat Chinese or Indian.  Recently I learned my birth grandmother came to the US from Hwlffordd.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sadly I myself cannot claim to be Welsh, I just have the privilege of living in this lovely part of the world! 

I do very often make a Welsh version of the Irish dish ‘colcannon’ - I stir in leeks instead of cabbage into buttery mashed potatoes (or sometimes leeks and cabbage!) The leek is a recognised national symbols of Wales alongside the daffodil, so its a vegetable thats easy to come by here. 

If you do get to visit Cardiff again, I can heartily recommend the Riverside Food Market, held most Sunday mornings. There’s some fantastic local produce and food stalls to try, and a rather nice walk along the River Taff to enjoy too. 

• Like 2

Hello and welcome! I've spent a good deal of my life in South Wales but live in the Midlands now. I make cawl often. It got the nod from my colleagues in Swansea A+E, but I'd be very interested to see what you do!  

• Like 2