• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Identifying interesting food(?) object…

happysoup

Hello all,

I joined this forum whilst searching online for somewhere that would help me identify something I found in my local Chinese supermarket.

I have now spent hours reading previous posts about Chinese cooking and I must say wow - I think I am in the right place! Very happy to have found this wealth of knowledge and passion for Chinese cooking. 

The thing in question that I’m intrigued by looked like some sort of dried seed pod... I could be very wrong.  The ‘horns’ are interesting. 

Does anyone here have an inkling?

They were very light and felt hollow. About 6-8cm in width. I go into this store quite often and have never seen them before, they were mysteriously left in an unmarked basket in the corner…

Thanks in advance for any help! 

94EA6664-1512-483C-B46C-0131EF18CC29.jpeg

Edited by happysoup
Error in type (log)
  • Like 2

I once bought it at H mart and cooked by simply boiling it.  The shape is astounding.  The eating is pain in the neck, they are hard to open.  The taste is between chestnut/potato/sweet potato.

54 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I once bought it at H mart and cooked by simply boiling it.  The shape is astounding.  The eating is pain in the neck, they are hard to open.  The taste is between chestnut/potato/sweet potato.

I've most often had them in dumplings (wontons and jiaozi) and in hotpots. They aren't something I go looking for, though. I prefer water chestnuts. They are popular at the mid-autumn festival. Out of season now, though.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks for the help and insight. A mystery so swiftly solved! I’d be interested in trying them but if they are out of season (and on top of that have travelled all they way to Wales!) these ones in question might not be at their best. Perhaps thats why they felt light and hollow? Unless they don’t go “off”? 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:54 PM, happysoup said:

Thanks for the help and insight. A mystery so swiftly solved! I’d be interested in trying them but if they are out of season (and on top of that have travelled all they way to Wales!) these ones in question might not be at their best. Perhaps thats why they felt light and hollow? Unless they don’t go “off”? 

You are welcome. That's what we do round here!  😃

The caltrops are in season in late summer and early autumn. As I mentioned, they are important at the Mid-Autumn Festival which this year will be on September 10th. If you found yours recently, I'm guessing they will be from the 2021 crop and will still be OK, if not at peak perfection.

I certainly hope they were imported. They have become a serious invasive species in many parts of the world where they have been introduced.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto