• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Return of the Cook-Offs!

Dave the Cook

It's never easy to follow a class act, and equaling David Ross' performance as Cook-Off Poobah will be especially tough. David led the Cook-Offs for ten full years, from June 2011 (Savory Filled Pastries) to July 2021 (Potato Salad). The Cook-Offs are often cited as one of our favorite features. 

So we were extremely pleased when Duvel stepped up, offering to succeed David. He has a long history as a knowledgeable, good natured member, and we think the Cook-Offs will continue to flourish under his guidance. To make sure he gets a good start, we've selected an exciting and timely topic, which Duvel will preview for you shortly. When he does, we hope you all will welcome him to his new, challenging role, and ensure his success by participating with your usual glee and enthusiasm.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Can’t think of anyone better qualified to carry on the tradition than @Duvel    

Edited by Anna N
Gremlins (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think broader - all the doughy dumpling things. I lived 6 months on my mom's vegetable soup with some chewy ones during a relationship return home meltdown. Just flour, egg, milk my sis says. Oh the world of Austrian Nockerl My Panamanian had me do some part cornmeal based drop dumplings for cows foot soup. Memorable. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your positive comments and the advance laurels - as if I wasn't already nervous enough to do @David Ross legacy justice. But I will try my best and thanks go to @Dave the Cook and the eG team to let me help to advance this topic and to @Smithy for her support in the preparation of the topic selection. 

I also already see some great suggestions for upcoming Cook-Offs, and can only encourage everyone to hand in more of those. We have already achieved a pretty comprehensive coverage of the culinary world in the past 87 Cook-Offs, but as Cook-Off #88: Wings shows, there are still some white spots in our map to highlight ...

I am looking forward to a fun ride and - of course - all of your participation 🤗

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1