• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feliz Día De Los Tres Reyes!

gulfporter

It's Three Kings Day here; used to be date when Mexican children got their gifts.  There are a lot of festivities planned on the Plaza later.  Hot dogs and cake for the kids, after they bust open the humongous piñatas that have been hung in the Plaza trees.  Afterward there is a free mariachi concert.  

We committed heresy and instead of the traditional Mexican Rosca, we bought a Couronne from a French patisserie, mostly because they offered a small size.

cake1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Where does the time go?!? We always did something for 3 Kings but the day now unfortunately famous for something else. Traditionally last day of Christmas decorations. The King Cake in New Orleans - I'll look at but too sweet for me and the colors are jarring to me. But that is more associated with Mardi Gras. Pics welcome of your festivities and foods ;) 

• Like 2

Well …

We successfully managed to lure the Three Kings to Germany (as usually they visit the little one only in Catalunya). He attributes this to leaving out some juicy carrots for the camels, but I am sure it was my wife‘s Pastis del Reis, which turned out very, very god this year …

7E67AC6A-8150-4F45-86F0-1A7A3B8D809C.thumb.jpeg.70555df493fbf341d2039caaaad21576.jpeg

7C05EC33-A969-4A42-B60B-34522DAE71E9.thumb.jpeg.44ebeda5454a36f3ab406839542b9f94.jpeg

F5D089A2-0ED2-46AC-B292-457103781A55.thumb.jpeg.2558012aaa3dac194ea28be59c14c4f7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice! Did you take some nibbles out of the carrots to show they were indeed enjoyed by the camels?

Yeap … also “handcrafted” the leftover cake crumbs 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

This morning mi esposo found the Baby Jesus in his slice of the Couronne. 

It is hidden in the cake to symbolize when Mary and Joseph hid the baby.  The person who finds is considered the 'godparent' this year and has to throw a party on Candlemas, Feb. 2nd.  Candlemas is the day on which the baby was taken to the temple to be baptized. 

We aren't religious but I appreciate food-related traditions and the reasons behind them.

I'm gonna let my DH off the hook for the Candlemas party as his Hip Replacement Surgery is scheduled for Feb. 1st.  

jesus2.jpg

• Like 5

Yesterday all over México people were stashing the baby Jesus in their cheeks while eating their slice of rosca (the traditional cake). I think it's a skill that Mexicans have learned through practice, and one that we expats have yet to master. The best we gringos can manage is to not break a tooth! Around here the tradition is to have a tamale party on Feb. 2, but I think having hip replacement surgery is a very good reason to decline. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I'm learning some things here! I grew up celebrating Christmas Eve and Christmas on Dec. 24 and 25, respectively, but when I nearly married into a Polish family I learned about Little Christmas. They celebrated it on Jan. 6, with little presents, and the Christmas decorations and tree didn't come down until afterward. I didn't keep that family, but I kept the Little Christmas tradition. Any excuse to keep the Christmas decorations up and the Christmas china out for a while longer is a good one!

I knew it was supposed to be the day the Magi arrived, and that it's also known as Epiphany. What I didn't know until now is that:

(a) Little Christmas, Jan. 6, is NOT the 12th day of Christmas (apparently I can't count)

(b) Epiphany is NOT the same day as Orthodox Christmas. I could have sworn, from my times in Egypt, that the were the same day instead of a day off.

Thanks for the glimpses into more celebrations, and the education!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Like @Smithy I also enjoy learning about the traditions and the food intersections. We are entering deep into that territory as Lent approaches. All mixed up now as immigrants have "re-invented" over the years and marketing for Mardi Gras became so intense. I look forward to all of that in a dedicated topic. My favorite this go around @Duvel with carrots for camels :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the last slice of Tres Reyes cake this morning, I found a second Baby Jesus. Don't recall Mary having twins. But I didn't pay much attention in Catechism class.

jesus twins.jpg

• Haha 4

Was eating it by hand, pulling it apart as I went.  It was in the very last bite and I felt it between my fingers. 

As a friend wrote after she saw the picture....that's almost as good as getting a 13th pierogi in a box of Mrs. T's.