• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Sunday was our 40th wedding anniversary.  Since it was Sunday, we attended the same church that we'd gotten married in all those years ago rather than our current place.  Jessica had let the rector know in advance and she and the whole congregation were so lovely and welcoming.  After the service, we went to my favorite breakfast diner for brunch.  Jessica and I had been craving Benedicts, so that's what we got:

IMG_8632.jpg.918ec3f91312e429aa946d419eab2fa8.jpg

Mr. Kim chose the Rueben:

IMG_8633.jpg.ea3eb16c221fabc1dcf9a2d5e70101d5.jpg

This was yesterday's "fill the void" late lunch, early dinner:

IMG_8689.jpg.2dde5aebdeed13503c931abdca3e8a1a.jpg

Deli ham and American cheese with yellow mustard on toast!  

Happy 40th! Quite a milestone.

• Thanks 1

Bought 120g of hand peeled shrimp yesterday to take to my Dad today to try to entice him to eat something other than candy. Between the time that I bought it and the time that I got home, I received a phone call telling me that he has been put in isolation and on oxygen due to respiratory distress and a slight fever. He is 95, so quite concerning. Another phone call this morning to say that he is requiring less oxygen but still very lethargic and still in isolation. So I had shrimp salad for lunch. A nice treat for me, but I would rather that he had it.

lunch_6890.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Bought 120g of hand peeled shrimp yesterday to take to my Dad today to try to entice him to eat something other than candy. Between the time that I bought it and the time that I got home, I received a phone call telling me that he has been put in isolation and on oxygen due to respiratory distress and a slight fever. He is 95, so quite concerning. Another phone call this morning to say that he is requiring less oxygen but still very lethargic and still in isolation. So I had shrimp salad for lunch. A nice treat for me, but I would rather that he had

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Bought 120g of hand peeled shrimp yesterday to take to my Dad today to try to entice him to eat something other than candy. Between the time that I bought it and the time that I got home, I received a phone call telling me that he has been put in isolation and on oxygen due to respiratory distress and a slight fever. He is 95, so quite concerning. Another phone call this morning to say that he is requiring less oxygen but still very lethargic and still in isolation. So I had shrimp salad for lunch. A nice treat for me, but I would rather that he had it.

Shrimp Louie is often my go-to when I’m out ideas or inspiration.

I keep salad shrimp in the freezer at all times so it’s easy to do.

• Like 3

Thanks to @Shelby, @MaryIsobel, and @MetsFan5 for the anniversary wishes.  And, @MaryIsobel, I’m so sorry that your dad is having such issues!  So worrying for you.

@lindag – smart idea keeping the salad shrimp in the freezer!  I love crab or shrimp Louie, but never want to bother cooking shrimp just for a lunch.

Yesterday:

IMG_8694.jpg.b2b483d2189dacc8d49af3734414b527.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese, surimi, and a fast and dirty cocktail sauce – half catsup and half horseradish!  I’m a big fan of surimi, to be honest.  I enjoy it hot or cold. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Shrimp Louie is often my go-to when I’m out ideas or inspiration.

I keep salad shrimp in the freezer at all times so it’s easy to do.

Shrimp (or crab) Louie has always been a favourite of my Dad's, hence the idea. He really only likes sweets these days and my sisters and I agree that at his age and stage in life, if he wants to exist on jelly beans and danishes, so be it, but I still feel happy when I can get a little protein into him. He has had a great, long, adventure filled life, so my loving wish for him at this point is that when the time comes, he goes quickly and painlessly.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks to @Shelby, @MaryIsobel, and @MetsFan5 for the anniversary wishes.  And, @MaryIsobel, I’m so sorry that your dad is having such issues!  So worrying for you.

@lindag – smart idea keeping the salad shrimp in the freezer!  I love crab or shrimp Louie, but never want to bother cooking shrimp just for a lunch.

Yesterday:

IMG_8694.jpg.b2b483d2189dacc8d49af3734414b527.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese, surimi, and a fast and dirty cocktail sauce – half catsup and half horseradish!  I’m a big fan of surimi, to be honest.  I enjoy it hot or cold. 

I like surimi too, and I think that if you don't pretend that it is something other than what it is, it's just fine. Mermaid salad is a popular deli thing around these parts; surimi, scallions, celery and a mayo based dressing. Back in my younger days, I ate it a lot, it was cheap and convenient but seemed indulgent to me!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I like surimi too, and I think that if you don't pretend that it is something other than what it is, it's just fine. Mermaid salad is a popular deli thing around these parts; surimi, scallions, celery and a mayo based dressing. Back in my younger days, I ate it a lot, it was cheap and convenient but seemed indulgent to me!

A pint of that salad from the deli counter + bottle of Tabasco got me through some long days doing tough stuff. Comfort - and protein sticks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Doddie, who used to post here as @Domestic Goddess, introduced me to this recipe using surimi.  She was from the Philippines and was living in South Korea and said that it was popular all over Asia.  

Fish and pork surimi are both certainly common in Asia, but that does not necessarily equate to 'popular'. It's cheap paste usually made from otherwise unusable scraps and often with illegal additives. Then sold under misleading names.

These 'lobster balls' do not contain any lobster at all, for example. Nor do they taste anything like lobster.

1593241960_NoLobsterBalls.thumb.jpg.602abb4a03d3e83765c097cc5e12ac6c.jpg

Fish surimi is known in Chinese as 鱼糜 (yú mí). The first character is 'fish' while the second can be translated as 'gruel'', but also 'rotten'.  To make matters worse, 鱼糜 is also a near homophone of 玉米 (yù mǐ), meaning 'cØrn'!

Say no more!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

How do you enter the diacritics?

Alternatively, enter the name without diacritics in Google Translate and it will give you the version with diacritics. You may have to specify it is Vietnamese.

I have multiple input 'keyboards' on my PC, but then I needed them in my work.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Alternatively, enter the name without diacritics in Google Translate and it will give you the version with diacritics. You may have to specify it is Vietnamese.

I have multiple input 'keyboards' on my PC, but then I needed them in my work.

Thanks - I know about doing it in Google Translate - but it's a real pain.  I was hoping for an easier way!  If I had to do a lot of it, I'd just use a different keyboard I guess...

• Like 1

Phờ bò viên . Can be found on my keyboard, (Mac). I've noticed most just do the quickie like molé or I often see Phó. Things like temp, 86ºF is 'option' held down then 'numeric' 0, etc. 

I think I would only bother, being impatient, if I wanted to add a recipe as written. I do like seeing it but I often feel I'm getting it wrong. The grammar and food police can get pissy. 😜

Holding down the 'e' key as in molé gives just a few options. Seems a few more diacritics/accents could be added to that rather than having to go into 'character viewer'. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Phờ bò viên . Can be found on my keyboard, (Mac). I've noticed most just do the quickie like molé or I often see Phó. Things like temp, 86ºF is 'option' held down then 'numeric' 0, etc. 

I think I would only bother, being impatient, if I wanted to add a recipe as written. I do like seeing it but I often feel I'm getting it wrong. The grammar and food police can get pissy. 😜

Holding down the 'e' key as in molé gives just a few options. Seems a few more diacritics/accents could be added to that rather than having to go into 'character viewer'. 

Thanks... I'll have to check it out for Windows.... btw, the accent you're using for Phờ  is incorrect - the soup name is Phở  and is pronounced differently than Phờ would be, hence it is a different word with different meaning... even though they look similar to us.

Last of quash dumplings from freezer.

IFbHbLf.jpg

The Madeira I don't drink is good in sauces. Made a warm sauce with ginger root, garlic, and Madeira for spinach.

r0qxsp6.jpg

Udon noodles with different toppings. Mince with lemongrass and turmeric

MwCNKe7.jpg

Salted turnips and chipotle

lNp3uTv.jpg

I was taking photo of a beer on the grass and this comma butterfly landed on my grape hyacinths right in front of me. Great tit collects coconut fibre from my planter liners to build a nest in garden bird box. (S)he makes many, many trips non stop. I left out some moss nearby but they seem to prefer coconut fibre.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Catalan braised rabbit legs & meatballs, with wild mushrooms and (completely untraditional, yet requested by my wife) farfalle …

BE85E0AA-98C8-4BC3-BF41-215A192A4B73.thumb.jpeg.13acdb3d864543115d3fc832a86329fb.jpeg

Tastes much better than it looks 🤗

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Little one brought a friend home after school, so I made spaghetti with meatballs. The friend obviously liked them a lot and when he told my son that, little one answered “Because my father uses butter” …

203EBE39-ADDC-4006-BDF4-0C792A1558A7.thumb.jpeg.f4fe2fc40833c30bb90de9e6cb50a293.jpeg

I would have pointed out the De Cecco spaghettini, the Mutti crushed tomatoes, the Spanish anchovies in the sauce, the fresh basil or the copious amounts on Parmigiano and fresh herbs in the meatballs, but obviously it was just the butter I fried the garlic in … 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 12