• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

25 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

The beer in which the legs were cooked. 10 years best-by date was 2018. I had forgotten about this beer in my stash. Drank the last one with the meal.
BZvih8v.jpg

Thanks for reminding me of Goudenband … and just in time. Am heading out to Antwerp tomorrow and bringing my car for beer shopping  🥳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:48 PM, Smithy said:

Yuma has a 5 Guys, In 'n' Out, and Freddy's along with the usual coterie of Burger King, McDonald's, Carl's Jr. etc. I have yet to get my darling to any of the first three. Based on what I'm reading I think I'll give 5 Guys a pass -- at least until he's tried the other two. 

In and Out has decent burgers...mediocre fries

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 6:21 PM, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

i have not been to 5 guys for really a long timer

they did not wrap the burger back then ...

Progress.

and the lettuce tomato and may were cold as if refrigreated

so the burger was on the colder side.

room temp for the lettuce and tomato etc 

whoudlhave helped.

back then.

try a shake shake 

if you come by one

and see a difference ?

Bunb wisen ?

We're getting a SS next year.  This burger-lover is excited!

• Like 1

Well, we at the Shook house all tested positive for COVID at some point over the weekend.  We are up and down over an hourly basis, but all on various medications and trying our best to be patient with one another and help where we can!  On Sunday (after Jessica tested positive, but before Mr. Kim and I did) I was hungry for a very specific thing at lunchtime – I wanted ham and Swiss on rye with ballpark mustard.  Mr. Kim gloved and masked up and picked this up for me at our local deli:

1-IMG_1389.jpg.38d2c884416027294aef8e36cce2e9a0.jpg

That half sandwich was all I ate all day.  I started feeling awful and tested positive for COVID that night.  I have no idea what Mr. Kim ate all day. 

Mr. Kim and I picked at this today:

1-IMG_1398.jpg.7c1d9c74cca70c1a9838999ccaad9ff1.jpg

Supermarket Cheddar, butter, leftover shrimp, a sleeve of saltines, and cocktail sauce (for the shrimp and the cheese).

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 7

On 12/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, Duvel said:

Thanks for reminding me of Goudenband … and just in time. Am heading out to Antwerp tomorrow and bringing my car for beer shopping  🥳

Good luck maneuvering that down the isles.  Typically people just bring a shopping cart, but then again - I know your propensity for putting back a few cold ones! 😛

• Like 3

On 12/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, Kim Shook said:

Yesterday:

1-IMG_1407.jpg.89ec33caa604e35f7cadfef5dcf23ffa.jpg

Deli roast beef and Havarti.  Deli beef is always a little bland, but I punched it up with some good horseradish cream.  

Oooh, note to self: get some horseradish. I am SV a sirloin tip.

Navy beans and bacon for lunch in IP.

Just editing this in since I had a proof reading error previously.

Philly cheese plate. Onions, bell and roasted red peppers, mushrooms, swiss and provolone cheese. The uppity young.ones with their low a1c got a toasted roll for theirs.

20221218_124959.jpg

Edited by billyhill
Additions (log)
  • Like 6

6E06070C-2FFF-4243-B349-31F97BE96290.thumb.jpeg.6900bcf6323525d70b4136354bd14f6e.jpeg

Might have been lunch or could be dinner – – indeterminate at the moment. Deli roast beef with tomato, onion, and chipotle crema. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As I had a whole roast chicken we didn't get around to eating for dinner the other night, I had to use a little of it for lunch yesterday.

image.thumb.jpeg.e80e4f9b11423260c25ba05665931734.jpeg

Congee with mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, and some sliced chicken breast.  Added the back, wings and other bits and pieces while the congee was cooking, and then nibbled on those parts while enjoying the congee itself.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Grilled salmon salad with white remoulade sauce.  The remoulade recipe was my moms and calls for 2 T of Durkee sauce.   The remoulade sauce was the only thing my mother put the Durkees in so it spent a lot of time in the back of the frig between uses! 

IMG_20221228_105541859_HDR.thumb.jpg.5fa4e1827507e4a5534fd154748bc806.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Grilled salmon salad with white remoulade sauce.  The remoulade recipe was my moms and calls for 2 T of Durkee sauce.   The remoulade sauce was the only thing my mother put the Durkees in so it spent a lot of time in the back of the frig between uses! 

IMG_20221228_105541859_HDR.thumb.jpg.5fa4e1827507e4a5534fd154748bc806.jpg

My remoulade sauce recipes all include ketchup and so, of course, are red. What goes into yours, and what is Durkee sauce?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

53 minutes ago, heidih said:

Smithy!!! it is classic and makes sense in remoulade  https://durkee.com/product/durkee-famous-sauce/

Never noticed it or heard of it before, but now I'll have to look for it! Thanks!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Smithy!!! it is classic and makes sense in remoulade  https://durkee.com/product/durkee-famous-sauce/

Google would have you believe that most people consider remoulade sauce as some kind of Louisiana staple. In fact, remoulade sauce is French in origin and hails from the seventeenth century. Therefore a classic remoulade, as used, for instance, in Celery Root Remoulade does not include Durkees  or ketchup of any stripe. Whatever creole adjustments have been made to produce a southern remoulade sauce are a reinvention. Southern recipes sub creole seasoning, pickle relish and creole mustard (whatever that is) for the original mayo, dijon, horseradish, cornichons and capers. I've tasted Durkees once and it ain't exactly classic.

6C8C3AB0-E339-4ADE-BD3D-DB0AC083ECB5.thumb.jpeg.77dd723e84647a2d9750ebd5d71dcc11.jpeg

Roasted creminis seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/28/2022 at 1:58 PM, Smithy said:

My remoulade sauce recipes all include ketchup and so, of course, are red. What goes into yours, and what is Durkee sauce?

Here's the recipe that my mom used.  She initially used a blender to make a smooth sauce and switched to a food processor after they became widely available resulting in a sauce with more texture.  I make the sauce with the vegetables diced and folded into the wet ingredients for more typical remoulade texture.

IMG_20221229_201725611.thumb.jpg.ac6ef3d5b71bf9b63d14cf788988d9ec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2