• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

Lunch was 5-spice SV turkey  breast served on pita bread.  I'll have to say the breast and bread co-starred for this lunch.  I've been buying this brand of pita for about 30 years and it never disappoints.  I'll nuke the frozen bread for ~20 seconds and finish on a cast iron hoe that's been passed down for a number of generations. 

IMG_20221207_114806269.thumb.jpg.59a6202e17f437b7918e3cc9e08d5d55.jpg

IMG_20221207_201154500.thumb.jpg.79c01976136a63a52f53f765f78ad4ea.jpg 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 AM, KennethT said:

Needed a fast lunch after getting home from work....

PXL_20221203_183534571.thumb.jpg.51882748880858c7121c7f32e05d6fbd.jpg

Frozen pork/shrimp/Chinese celery dumplings with vinegar/soy/chili oil dip

Just noticed this. Celery (of any kind) is unusual in jiaozi. I  don't think I've ever seen it before, but why not indeed?  I love that the cooking instructions stick to the three cup technique, although here it's three rice bowls of cold water. Points have to be deducted, though for their use of the Japanese term 'gyoza' for their products. What's wrong with 'jiaozi'?

Frozen dumplings are all most people have in the freezer here - they only really make from scratch at festivals. There are some very good frozen examples.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have some frozen pork dumplings in the freezer, purchased on a whim and because they were on sale.  I have never before purchased nor prepared frozen dumplings?  Suggestions?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

46 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have some frozen pork dumplings in the freezer, purchased on a whim and because they were on sale.  I have never before purchased nor prepared frozen dumplings?  Suggestions?

I presume you mean jiaozi dumplings. 饺子 or 餃子 depending on which script the manufacturers use. 

If so, simple. Bring a pot of water to the boil and add frozen dumplings. The water will immedaitely come off the boil. Take a cup or rice bowl of cold water and add to the pan. Bring back to the boil. Repeat twice. The ddumplings should be floating and ready to eat. Drain and serve with a soy and vinegar dip or dip of your preference.

Alternatively, they can be served in soup or fried as potstickers.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Just noticed this. Celery (of any kind) is unusual in jiaozi. I  don't think I've ever seen it before, but why not indeed?  I love that the cooking instructions stick to the three cup technique, although here it's three rice bowls of cold water. Points have to be deducted, though for their use of the Japanese term 'gyoza' for their products. What's wrong with 'jiaozi'?

Frozen dumplings are all most people have in the freezer here - they only really make from scratch at festivals. There are some very good frozen examples.

In their defense, contrary to their Chinese sounding name, they're made in the USA and sold at HMart - a Korean grocery chain, even though they do have quite a few non-Korean items.  They're my default Asian store, due to proximity (they're around the corner from my apartment).  This is what I typically get: https://www.weichuanusa.com/en/pork-celery-shrimp-dumpling.html

And from their website regarding the celery:

Mei Jie Jen Wei offers celery dumplings, a healthier twist on the classic dish, with a chewy enriched wheat wrapper. Made with a selection of fresh and balanced ingredients that preserve the integral flavors and freshness of each ingredient, we invite you to devour an elevated and authentic gastronomic experience spotlighting the region’s finest ingredients alongside seasonal produce, right from home.

I love how they use the word "devour" in their copy... hehe

They also have a separate "gyoza" series, though I'm not sure what the difference is. I've never gotten them. https://www.weichuanusa.com/en/frozen-foods.html?cat=20

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh, I don't always make them myself.  As you do, I'll often buy a bag of 50 for like $13.

I like King Dumplings, on Hester and Allen!

image.thumb.png.1ab79d000bf95a84ae66865e088f7357.png

I've never gotten dumplings from there. Interesting.  I used to buy bags of 50 for $10 at my dearly departed Lanzhou Hand Pulled Noodle.  I think they were on Bowery.  My local Hunan place (Silky Kitchen) makes amazing pork/shrimp/chive dumplings - but I don't think they sell bags of them frozen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never gotten dumplings from there. Interesting.  I used to buy bags of 50 for $10 at my dearly departed Lanzhou Hand Pulled Noodle.  I think they were on Bowery.  My local Hunan place (Silky Kitchen) makes amazing pork/shrimp/chive dumplings - but I don't think they sell bags of them frozen.

I think there was also a Lanzhou (or similar) on E. Broadway; both closed. 

I also think the days of hand made dumplings at 50 for $10 are gone!!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

32 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think there was also a Lanzhou (or similar) on E. Broadway; both closed. 

It's the same place.  It was either on E. Broadway or Division St (or somewhere around there) but then it closed. Several months later, it reopened in a space on Bowery just north of Canal, iirc.  They were an early pandemic casualty and never reopened.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

In their defense, contrary to their Chinese sounding name, they're made in the USA and sold at HMart - a Korean grocery chain, even though they do have quite a few non-Korean items.

I realised they were made in the USA, but assumed by a Chinese owned organisation. The name is Chinese, after all, but with a non-standard transliteration. 美全 means something like 'delicious everything', but in Mandarin is 'měi quán' and in Cantonese, 'mei cyun'.

I spotted they carry goods from all over east Asia and SE Asia. Lucky you!

• Like 1

Made some cookies earlier and figured the oven only needed a little more juice to get up to pizza temp so I had this for a late lunch

0752EAB2-EF7B-4997-826A-B3190F1516ED_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.262bef889d2580dfc5e9f2ad2e7b53b0.jpeg

Topped with leftover oven roasted mushrooms and baby kale from yesterday's breakfast.

Edited by blue_dolphin
Late lunch, not last lunch! (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 5

On 12/7/2022 at 8:36 PM, Steve Irby said:

Lunch was 5-spice SV turkey  breast served on pita bread.  I'll have to say the breast and bread co-starred for this lunch.  I've been buying this brand of pita for about 30 years and it never disappoints.  I'll nuke the frozen bread for ~20 seconds and finish on a cast iron hoe that's been passed down for a number of generations. 

IMG_20221207_114806269.thumb.jpg.59a6202e17f437b7918e3cc9e08d5d55.jpg

IMG_20221207_201154500.thumb.jpg.79c01976136a63a52f53f765f78ad4ea.jpg 

I am curious about the bread heating on a hoe, could you share a picture of said hoe with us? I have heard of hoe cakes and assume it is rather the same idea, but I am lacking a mental image.  Thanks!!

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

3 hours ago, BetD said:

I am curious about the bread heating on a hoe, could you share a picture of said hoe with us? I have heard of hoe cakes and assume it is rather the same idea, but I am lacking a mental image.  Thanks!!

Nothing too mysterious.  Hoe is a colloquial term for griddle.  I inherited this hoe from my great aunt who used it exclusively to bake biscuits.  I use it pretty much for the same thing.  It excels in crisping of day old pizza!

IMG_20211128_102920494.thumb.jpg.ea70dcecad32152b62f86b381455627b.jpg

• Like 9

@Kim Shook 

5 guys makes a very good burger.

and their fries are outstanding

however , every time Ive been there , 

the bun , tomato , lettuce , mayo \were cold.

ShakeShake ( SmokeShack ) bun is hot 

and BTW :

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/customer-calls-five-guys-highway-205537217.html

people can't add anymore , w/o an app ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

Yuma has a 5 Guys, In 'n' Out, and Freddy's along with the usual coterie of Burger King, McDonald's, Carl's Jr. etc. I have yet to get my darling to any of the first three. Based on what I'm reading I think I'll give 5 Guys a pass -- at least until he's tried the other two. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Id go to In-N-Out  

for sure 

as I said , its unfortunate that the temp of the bun and 

lettuce/tomato/mayo ( Dept.Health ? )  degraded the flavor of the beef 

I think , Trust fund aside these days , 5 guys are for the toppings 

Sooo many , and the fries.  In--Out 

is a sort of Mcd/BK/Jacks

that puts all those chains to shame !

ShakeShake over all is the best .

the bun is warmed and has a mouth feel where the bun

was lightly coated in   grill grease ( very tasty GG )

when I first went to SS 

its noted here on a thread

the SmokSshake was around $ 7..++    and not that large

so it seemed relatively expensive 

but the flavor , bite by bite was worth it.

do wonder what a SS costs these days.

P.S. : https://realmenuprices.com/shake-shack-menu-prices/

and

https://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

5 guys makes a very good burger.

and their fries are outstanding

however , every time Ive been there , 

the bun , tomato , lettuce , mayo \were cold.

ShakeShake ( SmokeShack ) bun is hot 

and BTW :

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/customer-calls-five-guys-highway-205537217.html

people can't add anymore , w/o an app ?

I've never had a cold bun from 5 Guys - they always wrap it in foil and by the time I open it the bun is steamed and warm.  I'm confused though - you said: "the bun , tomato , lettuce , mayo \were cold."  Do you want the tomato, lettuce, and mayo to be warm?  I like them to be cold - nice contrast to the heat of the burger and I hate slimy, warm lettuce.

@Kim Shook 

i have not been to 5 guys for really a long timer

they did not wrap the burger back then ...

Progress.

and the lettuce tomato and may were cold as if refrigreated

so the burger was on the colder side.

room temp for the lettuce and tomato etc 

whoudlhave helped.

back then.

try a shake shake 

if you come by one

and see a difference ?

Bunb wisen ?

Pumpkin soup
zLz3Q2p.jpg

Spicy boletus (from dried, Italian)
LpTkG28.jpg

Crispy shallots for the crunch
lyF4vBj.jpg

More German poppy seed pastries. "Mohnstrieseln"
hKbmLcO.jpg

Always good with (Oaxacan) hot chocolate.
xrA6Rj4.jpg

Square ones are called "Mohnkuchen". Both have crumbles ("Streuseln") and a glaze on top. Drank matcha tea with these.
M7dxit2.jpg

Another meal... braised duck legs in old beer. I used to eat duck legs regularly until recently. The price has doubled so guess it's just an occasional treat from now on. Also, my own tart kumquat-lemon marmalade barely visible in the background.
va4UWge.jpg

The beer in which the legs were cooked. 10 years best-by date was 2018. I had forgotten about this beer in my stash. Drank the last one with the meal.
BZvih8v.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Ach you had me with the Mohn - we used to do a semi puff pastry Kipferl wth Mohn filling as well as the Strudel. Oh and the poppyseed baking canned ingredient marketed here has a great cake on the can.  I envy your marmalade. My lemon tree and kumquat tree gave me the finger with the drought. Getting rain now so maybe next year. Thanks!

https://www.solofoods.com/products/cake-pastry-fillings/solo-poppy-seed-filling