• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

@Duvel 

interesting insight !

Id say the Brick  for the Detroit 

[ed.: D is not far from ' Big Blue ' , an annual Combat Pair , for The Game ]

Pizza might be on the milder side 

but, well , these ideas 

move to DetBrie ?

w the same good crust.

• Like 1

sorry ,

those pans are Detroit Pizza Pans

note the depth and the wider opening 

at the top

to get the DP  out ?

not to be confused  w the Chicago 

deep dish round pan.

I understand there is extra Block Chesse

under refrigeration !

Half way through eating stuff I brought back from Lanzarote so I had better make a couple of photos before it's all gone.
comNqBX.jpg

From Murcia, Andalucia. Murcia is one of the big producers of these dried/salted fish products.
XChiUuU.jpg

d6dai2b.jpg

4EAwKi8.jpg

"Smokey" tamari wings. I added some liquid smoke to the marinade.
ra8jU71.jpg

2 plates of vegetables in the background.
IS7Vajy.jpg

Just for fun, ordinary household items or things from a different perspective.

One - Two - Three - Four - Five - Six - Seven - Eight - Nine - Ten - Eleven - Twelve      

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Almost ashamed to post this in the wake of @BonVivant’s spread, but…

6A998577-CDD6-4D6C-B64D-39EAE3C4004B.thumb.jpeg.eacb821e7ea99df32493d4079656327b.jpeg

Leftover baked beans with leftover pulled pork BBQ thrown in.

Picked up the pork last Tuesday en route home from Chattanooga at a long-time favorite spot, Scott’s BBQ in Lexington, TN (noteworthy as being the home of the high school that was the only place I ever got thrown out of a basketball game). Had some left, so I chopped up half a cup of it to go with the remains of the baked beans I’d picked up to go with them. I would note a barbecue (which I got sans bun), an order of beans and the pound of pulled pork ran me less than $20.

These beans, though. I had gotten them to go with something else, and still had enough in the fridge to go with a couple of barbecue plates last week. They’re Members Mark brand barbecue baked beans with brisket, and I picked them up at Sam’s. They’re a little on the overly sauced side, but it’s good sauce. A handful of chopped pork stirred into them thickened them up admirably.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The last of the turkey and andouille gumbo.  Served with a sous vided & smoked turkey wing.  Next time I'll separate the drumette and cook it with the breast meat.  The flat was cooked perfectly.   

IMG_20221202_115421535.thumb.jpg.e601c238f29e4f7e37930b48bb3bf684.jpg

Yesterday's lunch was chicken boudin and made a very nice light lunch.   I have a "next time" for this lunch also.  I'll make shorter links and not pack the casing as tight.

IMG_20221201_114409305_HDR.thumb.jpg.8640586dbf923e50fd41450e78a9523f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

@blue_dolphin – I’ve saved the recipe for the sweet potatoes.  Mr. Kim and Jessica will love them, I think.  It looks to me that you used pepitas rather than peanuts.  Is that right?  Yours looks better than the original!

Tuesday:

1-IMG_1266.jpg.71fb97d68f9a7ef5e9a3c40217c8f4f2.jpg

Bologna and cheese on toast w/ pretzels.

Yesterday Jessica and I went over to Staunton VA to pick up some of @Jim D.'s gorgeous chocolates that my MIL had ordered.  We had lunch at Wright’s (same place as our last Staunton trip – a classic 1950s burger and soda fountain place):

1-IMG_1287.jpg.08269eea9a79feb844739bc0ebc618e1.jpg

I was the one who went rogue and got the fish sandwich and it was surprisingly good.  The chili needed more seasoning but tasted homemade.  I forgot I’m not supposed to eat chili. The standout was, of course, the onion rings which I would drive to Staunton to get once a week. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Spent a day Düsseldorf this week.

5 of each to make these dark December days a bit brighter.

I4WSC0k.jpg

More about Düsseldorf tomorrow.

Today:
RffyalI.jpg

I ate the Bauernmischbrot (farmer's bread half rye) with other things.  Bought it at Hinkel baker in Düsseldorf.
AQY46u9.jpg

The pastries are also from Hinkel. Poppy seed "snails". I ate 1 bite for the poppy seeds, the partner ate the rest.
ap7kKyW.jpg

We split the quark balls right down in half. I like these as they are not sweet. They don't have a quark filling, the quark is actually in the dough which is deep-fried in hot fat. One of the most popular food items at Christkindlmarkt.
gKtbMQ1.jpg

Also got some new snacks: peanut "flips".
Xv7fert.jpg

Hinkel bakery is so famous now that there's English language option on their site.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Lunch in Düsseldorf, at a local brewery. I'm a supporter of traditional breweries and make them my top priority to eat eat and drink there.
3sCKhjJ.jpg

The lunch menu changes every week and every day of the week a different dish is served. This one reminded me of a dish in Bavaria (and Austria) called "Krenfleisch" (slow-cooked meat served with fresh grated horseradish). I prefer it without the cream sauce and with half a root of fresh horseradish. The heat in the cream killed any traces of (jarred) horseradish here.
nOIOQ1b.jpg

Regular man's good and plain home-style kale with Speck and Mettwurst.
McA8IGn.jpg

Pickled beetroots
ZLC6SGs.jpg

Frikandell (pan-fried meat patty)
KHj1HKR.jpg

Tally marks on beer mat keep track of your beer order
K1ekTv6.jpg

Server forgot his notepad. They carry a big belt wallet and do the maths without a machine, as you can see on the notepad.
The amount you see is the amount you pay. One less source of stress when eating out.
wfcxvSC.jpg

- Clever vandalism. Is probably paid for by Miele. Great shop to browse, btw.
- Sitting behind the bus driver on the way home. This is not a night photo, just in broad day light (without the light) in autumn or winter.

--

My lunch at home is simpler and requires using my bare hands.
LqVUrUp.jpg

aD8Q2KB.jpg

qWXLwqc.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

04ACA199-3AB0-43C4-BCDC-710A536D0DDC.thumb.jpeg.451f1d0d05fa26af731744022d0ca488.jpeg

Really nice gluten free baguette - soaked in great fresh Italian evoo - pecorino, havarti, mortadella

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bonv – I’d love to try both your “snails” and the quark balls. 

Kennetht – I’ve been craving dumplings since sampling one at Costco the other day.  I’m quite sure yours were MUCH better!

A couple of days ago:

1-IMG_1303.jpg.12972ee4c3187f2d0e74ee890e61dff3.jpg

Very boring looking rice and chicken, but quite good and exactly what I wanted.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Kennetht – I’ve been craving dumplings since sampling one at Costco the other day.  I’m quite sure yours were MUCH better!

I doubt it - unlike @weinoo, I don't make my own dumplings - I get bags of frozen ones from HMart - they're actually quite decent and make for a really fast lunch - basically 15 minutes including the time it takes to get the pot out of the cabinet, fill with water and bring to a boil (I love induction for this!).

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I doubt it - unlike @weinoo, I don't make my own dumplings - I get bags of frozen ones from HMart - they're actually quite decent and make for a really fast lunch - basically 15 minutes including the time it takes to get the pot out of the cabinet, fill with water and bring to a boil (I love induction for this!).

We have a few decent Asian markets down here, but nothing like H Mart.  Jessica and I stopped in at one in Northern VA and were SO bowled over.  It was the first time we'd been in one and this was one with an incredible food court (including a French patisserie).  We went twice in 3 days!  We've vowed to never go up without a cooler and dry ice!  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TicTac said:

04ACA199-3AB0-43C4-BCDC-710A536D0DDC.thumb.jpeg.451f1d0d05fa26af731744022d0ca488.jpeg

Really nice gluten free baguette - soaked in great fresh Italian evoo - pecorino, havarti, mortadella

Did you make the baguette? If so, will you share the recipe? and if not, what brand is it?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

58 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We have a few decent Asian markets down here, but nothing like H Mart.  Jessica and I stopped in at one in Northern VA and were SO bowled over.  It was the first time we'd been in one and this was one with an incredible food court (including a French patisserie).  We went twice in 3 days!  We've vowed to never go up without a cooler and dry ice!  

I'm sure yours is much bigger and fantastic than mine!  Mine is practically around the corner from me in Manhattan - most of the customers it sees are NYU students so there's not a huge selection of stuff to be cooked - the veggie selection is decent, but the meats/fish leaves a lot to be desired.  They have a whole aisle dedicated to ramen and snacks (out of 5 aisles total), so that should tell you something.  But they do have a decent frozen dumpling selection.  This is the one I usually get - it's nothing compared to the fresh dumplings in Chinatown, but for a fast meal at home, they work well, especially with a dip of black vinegar, a bit of soy and some chilli oil. https://www.weichuanusa.com/en/pork-celery-shrimp-dumpling.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Oh, I don't always make them myself.  As you do, I'll often buy a bag of 50 for like $13.

I like King Dumplings, on Hester and Allen!

image.thumb.png.1ab79d000bf95a84ae66865e088f7357.png

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?