• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@BonVivant, beautiful food memories of a beautiful place.  I've experienced a few earthquakes here in So Cal, one of which was fairly destructive and I still remember all the aftershocks, never knowing for sure if it was going to be an even bigger quake.  I was at home and surrounded by friends and neighbors (several of whom spent a couple of nights in my apartment because they didn't want to be alone and I was glad of their company.  I can't imagine going through all that away from home.  Take care!

My lunch today:  Marinated Beans with Crunchy Vegetables from I Dream of Dinner

0A26B78F-36D2-4D54-9B30-59924868CD8D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0948acfe268641d3bf2883e92404348b.jpeg

I marinated the beans per Vivian Howard's recipe for pickled shrimp in This Will Make It Taste Good

What a great idea!  How long did you marinate?

I love pickled shrimp and I haven't made that in forever.  I need to rectify that.

@Kim Shook you have a really good daughter. I won’t leave my place for breakfast!😂 

That said we went to Seasons 52 the other night for dinner and it was good and reasonably priced. There’s a Capital Grille right next to it which is expensive. My parents have avoided it because their friend had to pay a surcharge that wasn’t mentioned of $10 to cut the meat off the bone.  That never would have happened if I was there and I will leave it at that as I think the Capital Grille is a lot better than Ruths Chris if I’m eating at a chain steakhouse.  

• Confused 2

Bulgarian white cheese (a bit like Feta). From left to right: sheep's milk, bufallo, and goat.
rhuDhIq.jpg

Salad ("caviar" lentils, pomegranate seeds, radish and limequat slices)
tZA6tz3.jpg

Meatballs cooked in wine and limequats
Ek6Kvqc.jpg

Green papaya salad with cold prawns and noodles. (Frozen papaya shreds from Vietnam)
imqv1ak.jpg

Pumpkin soup with meatballs. Pasilla Oaxaqueños sauce (on right) just elevates everything to another level with their meaty, savoury, intensely smokey, spicy, chocolate-y flavour.
PymDaGi.jpg

New squashes and pumpkins bought this past 2 weeks. Plus 2 more kale. The 2 biggest ones the farm uses as a centrepiece.

The garden boss is back! He's highly aggressive and territorial despite his size.

Early autumn is the best time for photography. Chestnut. Colour palette. Mushroom, bigger than the width of my boots. Down in the dirt for this one.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Hot-smoked salmon, goat cheese, sautéed onions/peppers/poblano with squirts of chipotle sauce.  Pictured pre-fold and grilling.

We are lucky to have a Canadian here who smokes salmon for sale.  Really intense smokiness with a touch of sweetness. 

smksal.jpg

• Like 6

Drove to Asheville for a wedding this past weekend, not much sun but we avoided the worst of the hurricane’s leftovers. @Kim Shook had given some good rec’s for our stop in VA, but we crashed in the hotel and didn’t go out. As we arrived in Asheville around lunchtime, we had lunch downtown at Tupelo Honey. I had the grilled pimento cheese/fried green tomato sandwich with crispy salt+pepper brussels, DH had a shrimp po boy with fried potatoes that were sprinkled with rosemary and parm (as you see, he was not waiting to get to those).

87FC6FEB-1316-4657-8C44-EA6C6F8C491C.jpeg

9DA8072A-40A4-4AB0-9FEE-46DB0DCD0409.jpeg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 10/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, BeeZee said:

grilled pimento cheese/fried green tomato sandwich with crispy salt+pepper brussels

Holy moly, so many good things together on that plate!

A small-ish version of The Tomato from Turkey and the Wolf

BD5A4501-D3F7-4E6F-8BB7-626925EAB58C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.be342307f49fbdf49d0a4835d5acc0d6.jpeg

That combo of basil, dill, sunflower seeds and a squeeze of lemon juice with a perfect tomato and plenty of mayo was pretty great. The bread is supposed to be thickly sliced sourdough, fried in butter. The author endeared himself to me by specifying to put the toasts on a rack or lean them up against each other so the bottoms don't get soggy. Hate soggy toast! Toasted focaccia was my sub but I'll try the real thing if I can get some good sourdough.  It's an excellent sandwich. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

The bread is supposed to be thickly sliced sourdough, fried in butter.

Nothing against toasted focaccia you understand but bread fried in butter… oh my. This is a sandwich I would truly love to try. Trust me to find it when tomato season is over!  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nothing against toasted focaccia you understand but bread fried in butter… oh my. This is a sandwich I would truly love to try. Trust me to find it when tomato season is over!  

Oh, I agree on the bread!  I've got some seeded rye sourdough which is good but too heavy, I think.  TJ's was out of sourdough. Ditto Sprouts.  I bought a loaf at Aldi that turned out to be both dry and tasteless.  Meanwhile, the tomato, dill and basil were all ticking away so I decided to let the olive oil-crisped focaccia stand in for the real thing. Hopefully I can address the sourdough situation soon!

• Like 2

Into town yesterday for my last infusion and couple of routine tests.  Stopped for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants that features Asian Fusion dishes.

I had the less than stellar Maui Chicken that tasted oddly fish. (Sadly, their food has gone  downhill of late).

I did have a Singapore* beer which I thoroughly enjoyed..  But I don't have much hope of being able to find it anywhere around here for sale.

*Sorry, not Singapore beer but Sapporo.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Needed to use the red pepper up... I like Indian potato dishes.   So I found this one, potatoes with red pepper and spices:

20221007_124348.thumb.jpg.30b75a9cc824ce911b23c68629ee44de.jpg

I just love fried potatoes (were steamed first) with cumin, coriander, fenugreek leaves, and pepper.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Raamo said:

Needed to use the red pepper up... I like Indian potato dishes.   So I found this one, potatoes with red pepper and spices:

20221007_124348.thumb.jpg.30b75a9cc824ce911b23c68629ee44de.jpg

I just love fried potatoes (were steamed first) with cumin, coriander, fenugreek leaves, and pepper.

I have a red pepper, I have potatoes, I have Basmati.  What was the recipe?  Sadly no fenugreek leaves in house, though I believe I have seen them for sale at Shoprite.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Still hanging on to summer, even though it's a bit chilly now.

Potato noodles cooked with some beetroots.. A bottle of garum I brought back from Sicily. Very noice.

z5YgZaJ.jpg

This is the clams I brought back from Mexico

3jKKNEB.jpg

CIrup5j.jpg

You have red sauce and white sauce. In the autumn there's yellow or orange sauce. Not sure which squash or pumpkin I used, I have too many.

Wilted kale with tinned cherry tomatoes and feta. Hot smoked salmon somewhere in the photo, too. Chili flakes, oregano and feta scattered on the pasta

CiixTeH.jpg

Box of 25 oysters. German Riesling and a nice imperial stout.

zALFQx7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:15 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a red pepper, I have potatoes, I have Basmati.  What was the recipe?  Sadly no fenugreek leaves in house, though I believe I have seen them for sale at Shoprite.

Boil / Steam the potatoes - when cool skin and cut up.  I steamed pre pealed so just cut up hot.

In oil + gee (~tbps depends upon how much potatoes)  add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  quickly add the rest of the spices - was 1 tablespoon lightly ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of salt (to taste),  1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Wait till fragrant, Then add the potatoes - cook until browned. They pick up all the spices.

Add in red peppers, cilantro, mango powder and cook until the red peppers are done.

Serve over rice is what I did, but seems to be optional.

Garnish with Gram Marsala.

Pretty simple.  It called for way more potatoes / and like 3 red peppers - I scaled it down to 3 potatoes and 1 bell pepper.  This kind of recipe is pretty easy to wing.  You can adjust the spices to preference too.  I like heavy spices so I didn't scale them down much.

Edited by Raamo
missed a step. (log)
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Raamo said:

Boil / Steam the potatoes - when cool skin and cut up.  I steamed pre pealed so just cut up hot.

In oil + gee (~tbps depends upon how much potatoes)  add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  quickly add the rest of the spices - was 1 tablespoon lightly ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of salt (to taste),  1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Then add the potatoes - cook until browned. They pick up all the spices.

Add in red peppers, cilantro, mango powder and cook until the red peppers are done.

Serve over rice is what I did, but seems to be optional.

Garnish with Gram Marsala.

Pretty simple.  It called for way more potatoes / and like 3 red peppers - I scaled it down to 3 potatoes and 1 bell pepper.  This kind of recipe is pretty easy to wing.  You can adjust the spices to preference too.  I like heavy spices so I didn't scale them down much.

Thanks.  I plan to go food shopping tomorrow and will look for fenugreek leaves.

Oh, does it matter what kind of potatoes?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, does it matter what kind of potatoes?

Nope recipe says any, suggests russet - I used yellow and it worked fine.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Thanks 1