• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

16801C12-3277-43FF-8F5C-DE78CE248CCB.thumb.jpeg.6c594f604275b04d5d83b688889642c3.jpegUtterly unsophisticated but quick & tasty. Ham, cheese and a lick of Dijon on squishy white bread— grilled. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Lunch today was horrible. That's all you need to know. Horrible and inedible! What little went into my mouth was spat out in seconds.

No pictures, obvously.

Sorry, not good enough! I don't need pix. But I do want to know what it was, and most importantly, whether or not you made it

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nonblonde007 said:

liuzhou, you could always post it here.... 😉

I am not at all sure that I would be even thinking of taking a photograph of something that I was spitting out.

That’s not a true statement. I absolutely would not be taking a photo of something I found that horrible. 😂

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am not at all sure that I would be even thinking of taking a photograph of something that I was spitting out.

That’s not a true statement. I absolutely would not be taking a photo of something I found that horrible. 😂

I usually snap a photo before digging in but I’ve usually tasted for seasoning so wouldn’t be so surprised by an inedible result. 
@liuzhou! I am curious, were there no available options to the inedible choice?  How long were you forced to go without sustenance?

Edited by blue_dolphin
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I usually snap a photo before digging in

You are right of course. 

My 2004 eG Blog

It's probably the last warm/hot weekend here.
Carmenere and Austrian Riesling.
7A6cqwJ.jpg

Aubergines and portobello
HrHW30t.jpg

From my favourite Turkish shop. A young baker makes these tandor flatbread as I watch and wait.
FCZXA8w.jpg

Garlicky dip for the bread
9xc3jT1.jpg

Ribeye from a farm 2 1/2 hours away (I biked there the other day and timed it). I sliced the whole big chunk into smaller pieces to make it easier to turn on the Weber.
0oZvt4X.jpg

Another meal in the sun.

Chanterelle omelette
fZnmVjr.jpg

Matjes with dairy
B7tMCOE.jpg

Knas is a Danish cheese. Has a mild pungent, stableyard smell that reminds me of Alsatian Muenster.
aRXgZ54.jpg

Chewy rye bread. A lot of concentration is needed to slice it thinly in one go.
1MwPqoB.jpg

Pistachio baklava from the Turkish grocer again
LFEnu6k.jpg

Got 2 big squashes the other day. Not sure what they are. I check the seed catalogue (from whom this farm buys seeds) and they look like either "Turkish mountain squash" or "Autumn beauty". Both types have dense and sweet flesh.
x6K0JtC.jpg

The whole family at work. They harvest almost every day now.

• Like 14

I ended up with a week-long (so far) upper respiratory infection starting last Friday.  Tested negative for COVID, thank goodness.  This was my not feeling terrible, but not feeling great, either brunch on Saturday:

1-IMG_0582.jpg.e16a6100068aa437058100972cd80eb3.jpg

Scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, and one more biscuit with strawberry jam for comfort 😉.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This was my not feeling terrible, but not feeling great, either brunch on Saturday:

Scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, and one more biscuit with strawberry jam for comfort 😉.

Wow.  Biscuits and gravy are what I make when I am feeling great, and thinking "Yeah, those statin drugs are definitely working."

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Still not 100%, so I went full childhood comfort mode for lunch today:

1-IMG_0626.thumb.jpg.15d8b16ff3887b1d416f625aaecacbd4.jpg

Lipton noodle soup and Chicken in a Biskit crackers.  

They still make that cracker!?!  I was always sneaking them out of pantry as a kid :)

• Like 1

Moroccan pistachio pastries. Turkish style is (very) finely ground, Moroccan is coarse or left whole. Turkish is buttery and overall quality is superior.
XfAOpA5.jpg

3THP5M7.jpg

Turkish black figs from Bursa are here again. On my second tray this week.
CR3tm5r.jpg

Moroccan fried bread ("Msemmen") and home-made kumquat marmalade (tart, not sweet).
2gxGHXS.jpg

Full-fat farmer's quark from the dairy farm
8PVqXIb.jpg

Not Moroccan but from a country that's no less fascinating.
XAl0u6L.jpg

One of the 4 all-important C's in the state of Oaxaca: corn, chilli, chocolate, and coffee.

MGQbeRX.jpg

The most well known chocolate producer in Oaxaca state. I spent many happy chocolate drinking hours at Mayodomo shop in the Oaxacan capital.

MmjtMnQ.jpg

Pastries and fried bread are from a Moroccan bakery 10km away. The pastries survived the bumpy bike ride home on lousy bike paths that I paid for.

IXVk8DZ.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Wow the color of that chocolate is DARK almost blue-black. Kumquat marmalade is a favorite of mine. It finally rained here. Will give it a week or so and see if I got some activity on my lone tree.

Got a kilo bag each of razor and almond clams, but not for steaming and eating out of the shell. After steaming I cleaned every single clam and then added them to cooked freekeh with a spicy chilli sauce and tamari.  Lots of raw garlic on the side. My version of Vietnamese clam rice.
ewhpuzi.jpg

Chinese cheese, AKA bean curd in chilli sauce. I like to use it in cooking, as a condiment, and even spread it sparingly on bread.
EmGt6JH.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9