• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've never even eaten kimchi .

OMG. You have to remedy that problem!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I haven’t had much luck eating lunch at restaurants lately.  Last week we went to a highly rated restaurant on TripAdvisor.  I ordered the beef dip.  When It came the server plonked it down and was not to be seen again until she came to clear our plates.  No visit to see how our food was.  Mine was cold.  The beef jus was stone cold, the fries were semi-warm and soggy, the beef was marginally dry, the cheese had been melted on it some time ago and the bun was not warm nor fresh.  How hard is it to make this dish.  They took a few dollars off when I complained.  I just wanted a decent lunch with my friends.  It I had managed to sent it back, I would have gotten it back well after everyone else had finished.  By the way my friends’ food was just ok.

Yesterday I went to a highly rated restaurant for lunch with other friends.  I ordered a small smash burger and fries from their “lite” menu as I did not want a plate full of food.  When it came, the fries were marginal…better than the ones noted above but they were dry inside.  The bun was cold, not toasted, without butter and it was far too big for the size of meat patty.  The meat patty had been cooked to death.  I had trouble cutting it with a knife and so dry.  Again the server did not come back to check on us.  I complained and got a couple of bucks off.

sheesh.  Am I being picky?  I thought I was picking easy to prepare items.  But apparently not or they have monkeys cooking in the back.

Today I had the best lunch in a long time…at home!

• Sad 9

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OMG. You have to remedy that problem!  

I know it.  I just don't know where to start....make my own not knowing how it's supposed to taste?  Or try store bought--which I don't think is easy to find around here?

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I know it.  I just don't know where to start....make my own not knowing how it's supposed to taste?  Or try store bought--which I don't think is easy to find around here?

Because the taste is so different from anything you are likely accustomed to I would definitely try for store-bought first. Strangely it’s available here even in most ordinary grocery stores. I would be surprised if one of your misfit type things don’t carry it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Because the taste is so different from anything you are likely accustomed to I would definitely try for store-bought first. Strangely it’s available here even in most ordinary grocery stores. I would be surprised if one of your misfit type things don’t carry it. 

Hmmmmm....I don't remember seeing it, but I'll look on Sunday when I order next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I find it works quite well almost anywhere relish might be called for. Give it a bit of a chop to get it down to the appropriate size. 

Or puree as some do. Sounds fun. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/110467-brussels-sprouts/?do=findComment&comment=1502075

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I haven’t had much luck eating lunch at restaurants lately.  Last week we went to a highly rated restaurant on TripAdvisor.

That's your first problem...

Yesterday I went to a highly rated restaurant for lunch with other friends.

That's your second problem...

Am I being picky?

Nope.  If you know restaurants you like in your area, just keep supporting them.

Sadly, lunch in restaurants which focus mainly on dinners (if that's the case here and that's what the "ratings" were based on), tends to be an afterthought. Often, the cooks will be prepping for dinner and have to make lunch in between their prep. It's like brunch for cooks - a heinous shift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kimchi dog

I would imagine if you order that combo in the right parts of downtown Seoul you might get an entirely different dish …

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I had some red curry/coconut milk sauce leftover from the snapper dish a few days ago, so, shrimp this time.  I also used a vegetable I'd never seen before that I bought at Saturday's farmer's market - I've forgotten the name of it.

It's stuck to the bowl on the upper left, and a smaller coin at center. It's very tender after simmering, tastes nice but non-descript. It might be a tuber; the seller said the leaves are more bitter than the bulb, which I peeled before slicing into coins and added it to the simmer. She said it reminded her of water chestnut but without the apply texture. This was very soft like a zucchini.

IMG_20220629_144119514~2.jpg

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

On 6/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, scubadoo97 said:

A tin of sardines with sriracha drizzled over them.  Been a favorite quick lunch.  My wife thinks I’m nuts 

One of my husband's go to lunches as well except that he uses Cholula instead of Siracha.

@Okanagancook – I don’t think you’re being picky at all.  I try to be very understanding nowadays about staffing issues and how they affect our dining experiences.  And I don’t think it is too much to expect at least a checkback by someone on the staff to see if things are ok.  As far as fries go, I don’t think I’ve had a hot French fry at a restaurant in a couple of years – whether it was a sit down place or a drive thru.

Wednesday:

1-IMG_9948.jpg.4735a7b731f7dbaff73ee54d5e7deacd.jpg 

Tavern ham, Fiorucci salami, and American cheese on multi-grain with pickly stuff and Doritos. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Don’t see why fries can’t be hot.  I had some still sizzling frites with my steak when having dinner at a restaurant that was packed with patrons last week.

Indeed. Any restaurant serving chips* in the UK that weren't hot wouldn't last a week.

* The correct name. They arent French!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto