• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

I seldom frequent the lunch thread, because seldom I have lunch.  This afternoon was Nathan's Angus hotdog with Shoprite half sours and potato salad.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A piece of a big skate wing.

YRccfAT.jpg

Steamed green asparagus

nxN5ldF.jpg

Pork filets were pounded flat and thin. They curled up and looked thick here. Made in the style of Portuguese "bifana".

uzNcLZf.jpg

Bolo de caco brought back from Madeira

SujhAzX.jpg

Real Mexican flour tortillas and prawns to make tacos. Oysters for slurping on the side.

afkW4dO.jpg

@Smithy, I love that bread (called tandoor bread in Turkish). My favourite Turkish supermarket makes it on premisses. They have a little room with 1 tandoors. The baker is a young man and he can't make it fast enough. It flies out the door on Saturdays. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Happy Birthday/Father’s Day for my dad. I finally did my first sous vide and made ribs. They came out great. Along with chicken souvlaki, chipotle apple slaw, grilled artichokes and Hasselback sweet potatoes. Chocolate PB cake for dessert. 

597689C8-6D6A-400B-B5C7-AFAB86620519.jpeg

2E26DECE-FCCB-4100-A88E-3F5D85883861.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

19 minutes ago, RWood said:

Happy Birthday/Father’s Day for my dad. I finally did my first sous vide and made ribs. They came out great. Along with chicken souvlaki, chipotle apple slaw, grilled artichokes and Hasselback sweet potatoes. Chocolate PB cake for dessert. 

597689C8-6D6A-400B-B5C7-AFAB86620519.jpeg

2E26DECE-FCCB-4100-A88E-3F5D85883861.jpeg

Lovely assortment. The chipotle apple slaw intrigues me. A rough recipe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Lovely assortment. The chipotle apple slaw intrigues me. A rough recipe?

It’s really good, different. I haven’t made it in a long time. It’s actually a Tyler Florence recipe Spicy Slaw I came across several years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tuna mac

DEA11CFB-1FDE-43B7-A679-116D4D09D3D7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.58b496cb64f3f2da4dfe0a305046f603.jpeg

After a nice cool weekend, it's warming up again so I mixed up a bowl of this to take me through a few meals.  

Maybe I'll go pick up some corn on the cob to go with it for the next round. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix photo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

So many lovely lunches! 

Yesterday was Father’s Day and Jessica was the main planner of the day.  We had lunch at a BBQ place in Williamsburg called Old City BBQ and then toured the Copper Fox Whiskey distillery where Mr. Kim did a whiskey tasting and bought a bottle of rye. 

Our BBQ lunch - we started with Fried Brussels sprouts with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette, cotija cheese, and candied peanuts:

1-IMG_9827.jpg.b366cd00f19ee833a0a39d330e2a170c.jpg 

We love them and they are on seemingly every menu, so we’ve had our share.  These were some of the best Brussels sprouts we’ve ever had.  Jessica’s main course:

1-IMG_9828.jpg.38a079c31b7f529a7d1f979a2baadea3.jpg 

Taco sampler – one pulled pork with slaw, smoked bean puree, and bread and butter pickles, one pulled chicken with cilantro jalapeno slaw and cotija cheese, and one green chili brisket with the cilantro slaw, cotija, crema, and pickled red onions.  Sides were poblano mac & cheese and fries with garlic queso.  No discernable poblano or garlic in the last two items.

I had the Brisket Dip:

1-IMG_9831.jpg.e783fc8fc92107aa3b809e97c0142bcc.jpg 

Caramelized onions, Swiss cheese, horseradish aioli, and jus.  Served with “Smoked Stout” beans.  This sandwich was probably the best thing on the table.  The brisket was really good and the jus was not just beef bouillon like so many places use.  I also ordered a salad, which I should not have done as it was enormous.  It was supposedly a half portion, but all three of us nibbled at it and didn’t really make a dent:

1-IMG_9829.jpg.87fd252fa734cb3a2a83c84168800067.jpg 

Romaine, picked red onions, cotija, creamy garlic dressing, and cornbread croutons.  Not a ton of flavor from the dressing, but the croutons were fantastic. 

Mr. Kim had the three smoked meats platter:

1-IMG_9830.jpg.7f629a71ddd2d6a9c6f30af9d3d2420f.jpg 

Pulled pork, brisket, ribs, cornbread, and collards.  The pork was a little bit too spicy for me and the collards were WAY too spicy for me.  The ribs were fall off the bone (which we don’t care for – we like a tender bite, not mush).  This plate hit on two of my pet peeves.  One is the spiciness.  I have no problem with restaurants having spicy items. Their food, their choice.  But TELL me on the menu so I’ll be making an informed decision.  When a BBQ place has multiple sauces on the table, I kind of expect the BBQ to be mostly flavored by the cooking, not injected or sprinkled spice.  Unless you tell me different.  My second pet peeve is that everyone seems to be doing “pulled pork”.  I grew up with little family BBQ joints and cafes in NC and VA that offered three kinds of pork – sliced, chopped, or minced.  There is a difference that I miss.  Short Sugar’s, the BBQ place in NC that I grew up going to still offers this choice and I love those sandwiches so much.  It seems like the BBQ competition circuit has influenced the restaurants in this way.  I don’t dislike pulled pork, but I especially love having the choice of chopped. 

Another issue for us was that everything that was “smoked” (all the meats, of course, and my beans) had this intense, almost metallic smokey taste.  Mr. Kim was pretty sure that they were using mesquite for everything, which we thought was a mistake.  He also thought that things were over-smoked. 

It occurs to me that we may overthink BBQ in this family.

After lunch was the whiskey distillery.  Mr. Kim had a blast – neither Jessica nor I are fans of dark liquor, but we had fun watching him enjoy it all.  The still room:

1-IMG_9840.thumb.jpg.dd7c986bec0ce814af62632b014e4ff3.jpg 

The bottling room:

1-IMG_9843.thumb.jpg.7ab26a7a7ee21bf9e86b76b57ddfbb78.jpg

1-IMG_9844.jpg.19be1b29abe2902ba013b72d6db47ce8.jpg 

His flight:

1-IMG_9846.jpg.cb218030c157293a644956efc4453589.jpg 

Copper Fox Original Single Malt Whiskey-XO 96 proof, Copper Fox “Port Style Barrel Finish” Single Malt Whiskey 100 proof, Copper Fox “Port Style Barrel Finish” Rye Whiskey 100 proof, and Copper Fox American Whiskey 96 proof.  He decided on a bottle of the rye:

1-IMG_9869.thumb.jpg.833a02ec46d5d574ece28bde33ba7d1c.jpg 

Jessica had a very mild cocktail with just a splash of rye, and I had a kids menu lemonade:

1-IMG_9847.thumb.jpg.4c44a7cd69e929c39df2af9a02d5250d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

I do not visit the breakfast/lunch posts as I rarely photo. Our lunches are always planned using the weeks meals, just a day or two. Yoyo, and what we want next day. (not left overs) as they are planned. 

At least once a week I make sandwiches. Today I made toasted chorizo, prosciutto, pastrami. Fresh pickles, red onion, slaw. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.00.03 AM.png

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

EZ lunch: fettucine with grilled shrimp in a jarred sauce (Filippo Ricotta and Tomato), topped with some capers as the sauce is on the sweet side.  Garlic bread.

shrimp pasta.jpg

filippo.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

White bean and good tuna (from Misfits) salad with capers, lemon juice, a little extra olive oil and a bare splash of white balsamic vinegar. And leftover papadums and tamarind sauce from last night's Indian.

20220623_123912.thumb.jpg.8888f22b09270f37117249e455e424cd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

55 minutes ago, kayb said:

White bean and good tuna (from Misfits) salad with capers, lemon juice, a little extra olive oil and a bare splash of white balsamic vinegar. And leftover papadums and tamarind sauce from last night's Indian.

20220623_123912.thumb.jpg.8888f22b09270f37117249e455e424cd.jpg

If you can find them at your Asian market I really enjoy Vietnamese rice crackers as the dippers for salads like yours.. Usually rice, tapioca and sesame - so should be gluten free. This little video gives an overview although I break mine into a couple pieces and microwave very briefly. They puff, curl a bit, and have pleasant crunch.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYl-3OVCLzs

Light lunch; grilled shrimp with couscous salad with toasted pecans, plumped dried cranberries, shallot and cilantro, dressed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil.  Dollops of chipotle-cherry sauce and spicy tamarind mayo.

cous.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@CantCookStillTry – gorgeous sausage rolls.  I need to make a batch for the freezer – we love having that option. 

On Friday Jessica and I went to have haircuts for the first time since the Fall/Winter of 2019 and we celebrated by having lunch at What A Burger for the first time in 39 years.  I should say that this isn’t the WAB chain out of Texas, but a local hamburger place that been here since the 1950s.  I was actually pregnant with her when we went there last.  WAB was the scene of my infamous pregnant at WAB story.  I had a huge craving for it and we drove all the way across the river to get it.  The problem was that I was sick for my entire pregnancy – usually all day.  So, I was hungry all the time, but couldn’t eat.  I actually lost weight a couple of times.  We ordered big, juicy burgers and fries and started to eat in the car.  Suffice to say that I didn’t manage a bite and made it impossible for Mike to eat his.  I didn’t actually get sick, but the sound effects were…effective. (Sorry if this is TMI!)  This time went much better.  Cheeseburgers:

1-IMG_9895.jpg.849f5b71b0c9919bbdf0b0fd31ccb851.jpg 

Fried pickles, onion rings, and crinkle cuts:

1-IMG_9894.jpg.364633bc72a5baf614115602504cd088.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Lunch at World Service in Nottingham. It's a failsafe choice for UK posh-ish food in Nottingham. That sounds much more condescending than my intention. If you are in Nottingham you won't regret a meal here. I only got the phone out for pictures at the end... English cheeses vanishing rapidly!

IMG-20220626-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20220626-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20220626-WA0006.jpeg

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Brought back from recent holiday in Middle Mosel
d8JEt4j.jpg

New season Matjes arrived last week. I have already ate them several times (plain and whole fish), but back to my favourite way, with dairy and some sour fruit (Pink Lady in this).
zmdMW8g.jpg

A bit Swedish-style "Midsommar" (mid-summer) meal but without the singing and dancing.
yxwkUJ5.jpg

Claws of brown crab (Cancer pagurus)
0CdbbuC.jpg

Do this once a year
ZTVTF1d.jpg

551gr/1,2lbs from 2kg/4,4lbs.
GbNpLQJ.jpg

Steamed asparagus. Crispy fried Speck on top.
G06Keil.jpg

Smoked Mettwurst (a type of sausage) cooked in the broth. Also boiled red potatoes.
k6a2t3s.jpg

A meal back in Middle Mosel. Sparkling Riesling and Frikadellen (pork-beef mince patties).
AcZvKzx.jpg

yiFNNn4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Late lunch: @weinoo's famous spaghetti with clams.  I always thought I needed to get fresh clams for this but it turns out pantry ingredients work just fine with the right recipe!

12901826-0211-4D60-AD27-C56506A0A810_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b02bf8389f2e7bbccbb3a31933a2d511.jpeg

A glass of very well chilled Vermentino to go with. Perfect for a hot day.

z

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

28 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Where exactly is this recipe for @weinoo's spaghetti with clams?

Click on the little gray arrow in the upper right corner of the link I copied in above and it will take you to his post of the recipe. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)