• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

Roasted salmon with gochujang mayo from Everyday Korean with sugar snaps and Massa Organics brown rice.  Quick, easy and flavorful.

216CAEBF-B279-4E7D-B529-0ED84E0A7DC7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cba304f3b33aded76a7d646e4c77becf.jpeg

Salmon from Wild Fork.  The gochujang mayo has mayo, oyster sauce, gochujang, fresh garlic and ginger.  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Roasted salmon with gochujang mayo from Everyday Korean with sugar snaps and Massa Organics brown rice.  Quick, easy and flavorful.

216CAEBF-B279-4E7D-B529-0ED84E0A7DC7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cba304f3b33aded76a7d646e4c77becf.jpeg

Salmon from Wild Fork.  The gochujang mayo has mayo, oyster sauce, gochujang, fresh garlic and ginger.  

I haven't ordered salmon from Wild Fork yet.... what did you think?

26 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I haven't ordered salmon from Wild Fork yet.... what did you think?

I got the wild caught, skin-on sockeye filets and thought they were pretty good.  I don't know how they generally cut them but all the packs in the case were 24 oz and had 3 pieces, so about 8 oz each. All were thinner (.75 inch at the thick end) and closer to the tail than the thick slices shown in the featured photo for this item on the website. 

I also got grouper as I rarely see that around here.  Packed in 6 oz pieces.  I used one for a grilled grouper sandwich the other day and it was excellent.  I noticed you gave a favorable mention to the mahi mahi so I'll try that next time and try some shrimp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Definitely going to try the gochujang mayo - it sunds delicious

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I got the wild caught, skin-on sockeye filets and thought they were pretty good.  I don't know how they generally cut them but all the packs in the case were 24 oz and had 3 pieces, so about 8 oz each. All were thinner (.75 inch at the thick end) and closer to the tail than the thick slices shown in the featured photo for this item on the website. 

I also got grouper as I rarely see that around here.  Packed in 6 oz pieces.  I used one for a grilled grouper sandwich the other day and it was excellent.  I noticed you gave a favorable mention to the mahi mahi so I'll try that next time and try some shrimp.

I've had great success with their mahi as well as their wild caught pink shrimp - they're really shrimpy.

I've been debating getting the salmon but I'm not overly fond of the tail pieces or very thin pieces for that matter so I've held off for now.

• Like 1

My first time deep frying in my wok on induction.  Worked great - so easy to control the temp and no fears of fire!  Brings back memories of a snack in the old Bangkok airport.

PXL_20220402_171256855.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.20fb94daf13bbbd07a63ae80744227ef.jpg

Too bad I couldn't get the real Sriracha - the last time I went to my Thai store, they were out :(

• Like 8

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

My first time deep frying in my wok on induction.  Worked great - so easy to control the temp and no fears of fire!  Brings back memories of a snack in the old Bangkok airport.

Too bad I couldn't get the real Sriracha - the last time I went to my Thai store, they were out :(

Real Sriracha?

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Real Sriracha?

the Wiki is pretty accurate. Where I live we associate it with the Huy Fong version which is US locally made. In the Chinese market I have had Asians from other places point out other versons. Huy Fong's marketing has been outstandong (a biz school class of its own) - I like and buy it  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Real Sriracha?

Yes. From Thailand. The popular American brand was invented in America by Vietnamese immigrants, as I recall. People in Sriracha say it's very different. I can't comment; I've only  ever had the real stuff. I am currently using this one.

O1CN01Gg16u11yyNEw2wI9w_!!2590526647.jpg_400x400.jpg.a0271249c69334322762b2ed46717557.jpg

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

Real Sriracha?

Sriracha is a town (region?), so the true condiment comes from there (or is made in the same way).  The Huy Fong brand (aka Rooster brand) which is ubiquitous in the US is definitely not the same.  That being said, some of their other condiments are decent - like their sambal oelek, and I use them often.

Edited by KennethT (log)

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. From Thailand. The popular American brand was invented in America by Vietnamese immigrants, as I recall. People in Sriracha say it's very different. I can't comment; I've only  ever had the real stuff. I am currently using this one.

O1CN01Gg16u11yyNEw2wI9w_!!2590526647.jpg_400x400.jpg.a0271249c69334322762b2ed46717557.jpg

Is this a Vietnamese version?  This is my favorite, when I can get it:

https://importfood.com/products/thai-sauces-condiments/item/sriracha-sauce-shark-brand

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Is this a Vietnamese version?  This is my favorite, when I can get it:

https://importfood.com/products/thai-sauces-condiments/item/sriracha-sauce-shark-brand

No. It is Thai. It is imported via Vietnam, though, hence the Vietnamese on the label. I think it's imported from Vietnam just because Vietnam is nearer! The store I buy it from has a lot of stuff imported via Vietnam, but originating from all over SE Asia.

Is the "Real Thai" brand available in the USA? It's pretty good.

O1CN01N68A9K1K5L1ZQ3kgG_!!3979681112.jpg_400x400.jpg.4244644f47e7a140d5a4d42e8f1367ea.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

No. It is Thai. It is imported via Vietnam, though, hence the Vietnamese on the label. I think it's imported from Vietnam just because Vietnam is nearer! The store I buy it from has a lot of stuff imported via Vietnam, but originating from all over SE Asia.

Is the "Real Thai" brand available in the USA? It's pretty good.

O1CN01N68A9K1K5L1ZQ3kgG_!!3979681112.jpg_400x400.jpg.4244644f47e7a140d5a4d42e8f1367ea.jpg

Interesting.  I remember going through Central Vietnam with a driver - we passed a store that had a lot of inexpensive stuff, like laundry detergent - basic household stuff, and he went on a whole discussion of how all of the inexpensive household products are coming from Thailand and giving Viet companies lots of problems.

I don't think I've ever seen the Real Thai brand anywhere - so I don't think it's in NY, but it could be on the West coast or elsewhere.

17 hours ago, KennethT said:

Trying to remember where I bought this giant bottle, Ken...

IMG_6491.thumb.jpeg.2162607261531c78a46db0147e8bccf5.jpeg

Might've been in one of the more Vietnamese-leaning groceries along Grand Street, or the supermarket at Hester/Elizabeth, or on line.

I bought it after reading this...

https://www.seriouseats.com/taste-test-the-best-sriracha

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

56 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Trying to remember where I bought this giant bottle, Ken...

IMG_6491.thumb.jpeg.2162607261531c78a46db0147e8bccf5.jpeg

Might've been in one of the more Vietnamese-leaning groceries along Grand Street, or the supermarket at Hester/Elizabeth, or on line.

I bought it after reading this...

https://www.seriouseats.com/taste-test-the-best-sriracha

I used to get it at the Bangkok Center Grocery on Moscow St, but they were out the last time I was there. They could have had it at Ken Hing before they changed hands - but when I was there last it was just Lee Kum Kee and other big brands.

This brand is certainly closer to what I've had in Thailand than Fuy Hong.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_20220403_144716.thumb.jpg.f4bec722ddb89e0925fbf3c659bfb4e4.jpgWe had a few guests over last night. Lots left over, so I made lunch with a few leftovers. Also thawed out some guanciale.

IMG_20220403_143012.thumb.jpg.5a36806b6006741610fb82aebf404076.jpg

Penne rigate, artichokes, parsley, mascarpone, guanciale, dolcelatte.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Prawns tossed in a chipotle sauce I made. Eaten "birria" style (dip the taco in the prawn shell broth and drink it, too).

QrMG1uG.jpg

Pandalus borealis. Prawns caught in deep and cold waters of (north) Atlantic, Arctic, Iceland, Norway etc.

wTdBzgR.jpg

The rest. Green sauce, Mexican chilli sauce, tomatoes and pomegranate seeds. Real tortillas (brought back from Mexico!), and rich prawn shell broth in cup.

F7qQavt.jpg

Kumquat IPA from Montreal. I have visited Dieu du Ciel brew pub in Montreal and went to see them again at International beer festival in Lyon, France.iLgCzpN.jpg

Another meal: beetroot flatbread. White sauce is just farmer's quark. Full fat and very rich.

5eIpfne.jpg

Some Turkish pickles

i6XIpJE.jpg

x0crMLr.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Waitrose pizzas tonight because we bought a few for a party last night. For those in the UK my recommendation is Waitrose above M&S. Either is good for minimum effort dinner party.

• Like 1

Lunch with a friend in a local restaurant. It's a weird kind of place. The menu is a blend of Chinese and other Asian dishes alongside steaks, pizza and Italian pastas.

This was billed as Texan beef pizza. It consisted of a spongy, wafer-thin, undercooked crust on which were some raw onions, bacon of some sort, 'cheese' apparantly made from recycled toothpaste tubes and oversweet BBQ sauce. The bovine had obviously run away and left no trace behind. We should have done the same.

27340148_MaislinOizza-TexanBeeefmushroomsBBQsaucebaconrawonions..thumb.jpg.264868d86aed804fe3f58e8ca2e197f3.jpg

Next came a better dish. Spicy shrimp fried rice. Nothing I could have done better at home, though.

950654478_MaislinFriedRice.thumb.jpg.5e82a62e1c5da4084cc1148f55fa8c92.jpg

Still it was nice to catch up with my friend. She is the director of the city CDC, so has been very busy. This week we have a Guangxi only public holiday. Three days off, although she still spent have our lunchtime on the phone. Always on duty.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Gochugaru shrimp with roasted seaweed grits from Eric Kim's Korean American brings some Korean flavors to a southern staple.

55CA1424-8939-46F9-A5BD-83399E036E22_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.21148e2ef74e909a44aaa294aa1e2a68.jpeg

I used Jimmy Red grits from Marsh Hen Mill instead of the quick-cooking grits called for but otherwise followed the recipe. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I used Jimmy Red grits from Marsh Hen Mill

I started reading some of the stuff on the bags of products I got from them, and...oy. 

FWIW, this is the company which used to be Geechie Boy Mill. Good products.

Today, I was in a much different neighborhood, uptown around lunchtime.

IMG_6494.thumb.jpeg.ce25f9fdc3787f30d7d0b23ee052b8c9.jpeg

And one of my favorite jerk chicken carts was rarin' to go. He's got a nice setup, and his chicken is tasty, with rice and peas, steamed cabbage, sweet plaintain. $10.

71st and York, for those so inclined.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I started reading some of the stuff on the bags of products I got from them, and...oy. 

FWIW, this is the company which used to be Geechie Boy Mill. Good products.

Today, I was in a much different neighborhood, uptown around lunchtime.

IMG_6494.thumb.jpeg.ce25f9fdc3787f30d7d0b23ee052b8c9.jpeg

And one of my favorite jerk chicken carts was rarin' to go. He's got a nice setup, and his chicken is tasty, with rice and peas, steamed cabbage, sweet plaintain. $10.

71st and York, for those so inclined.

That should make any hospital visit a little more, ummm, hospitable....

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:37 PM, liuzhou said:

This was billed as Texan beef pizza. It consisted of a spongy, wafer-thin, undercooked crust on which were some raw onions, bacon of some sort, 'cheese' apparantly made from recycled toothpaste tubes and oversweet BBQ sauce. The bovine had obviously run away and left no trace behind

27340148_MaislinOizza-TexanBeeefmushroomsBBQsaucebaconrawonions..thumb.jpg.264868d86aed804fe3f58e8ca2e197f3.jpg

tt is just this kind of cultural disconnect that prevents my attempting Chinese dishes.

eGullet member #80.