• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

Lunch was a  quick East meets West Soup.  The soup base was a rich chicken stock with chili paste and bamboo shoots in sesame oil over rice.  The greens were BJ's Super Salad Mix with the addition of sliced mushrooms.   I had a few leftover grilled baby back ribs that were added along with  pickled eggs.  We love Bubbies Kosher Dill Pickles and I'll add boiled eggs to the  brine as the pickles are eaten.   The briny eggs were really tasty in the soup.

IMG_20220222_112244243.thumb.jpg.23fce5348dd710c70be0538c6a108cf5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

I was determined by our office's resident lunch planner that it was "Super Taco Tuesday" since it was 2/2/22, so we got tacos delivered for lunch. I tried BBQ jackfruit tacos, which were missing the promised chopped peanut garnish and therefore lacking something in texture besides the little bit of shredded cabbage. They came with a side of rice and pinto beans, and the beans were really tasty (little bit of cheese melted on top). They didn't do much besides sauce the jackfruit, I think the chicken tacos that other people ordered were a better option.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Lunch was a  quick East meets West Soup.  The

I truly admire this kind of creativity. Would love a bowl of that soup. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Started a batch of bread dough last night.
First time I've used the Stretch and Fold method since the accident.
Just 2 grams of yeast in a 1000g of flour at 72% hydration.
Last baguette out of the oven just in time for lunch.

995889220_StracciatellasoupFebruary23rd2022.thumb.jpg.d9f63ea71957e795155b602bd9769b05.jpg

Made a pot of Stracciatella Soup using the last of my turkey broth. Love this soup.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Made these for a friend, and we had some for lunch as well: Pork and shrimp siu mai

1183116298_PorkShrimpSiuMai6551.jpg.fe883ca04b0925e289eb4e5d5451261b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

18 hours ago, Dejah said:

Made these for a friend, and we had some for lunch as well: Pork and shrimp siu mai

1183116298_PorkShrimpSiuMai6551.jpg.fe883ca04b0925e289eb4e5d5451261b.jpg

Lovely ! What kind of wrapper do you use ? The color is very light for a lye-based dough ...

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Lovely ! What kind of wrapper do you use ? The color is very light for a lye-based dough ...

These were just store bought wonton wrappers. I was looking for the thinner variety but none to be had. The ingredients list did not include lye.

31194257_wontonwrapper6577.jpg.4a08aeb64e0347b98f7bade3d02e3119.jpg
I used these with my granddaughters yesterday to make a treat: stuffed with banana, chocolate chips and deep fried. 

1920600635_BananaEggrolls.jpg.d4ff9fbd0a2766e9066203ac3f8ff5aa.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Fifty pounds of big old gooduns and good old bigguns.  Best oysters of the season.  Fat, salty and ice cold from Louisiana.  Grilled last night, raw for lunch and they'll be fried for supper.

IMG_20220302_121314560.thumb.jpg.6514900e10fd08fdf6557c003d48b0f6.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

It's been 1 and a half days since I got back, feeling like a zombie but can't seem to break the jet lag cycle yet. For other people it takes a couple of days, for me it's around 10.

First lunch in Bahia Magdalena.

jQuweWb.jpg

Ceviche of chocolata clams (my favourite clams).

J5v9IcB.jpg

J5v9IcB.jpg

Chicken fajitas
DmzIKMU.jpg

Freshly made corn tortillas

icwVIcE.jpg

Unfortunately, the other tortilla lady is no long there. I was looking forward to eating her tortillas. Hers are bigger and thinner. She uses a big rectangular blue press. The new lady uses a standard round silver one.

cxtN6AO.jpg

Had many emotional reunion with the whales. I missed them so much. The hassle of getting to these out of the way whale watching places was worth it (not to mention the high costs). 2 whales pressed their heads together (first time for me). Another one. Blue is the side of my panga (small fishing boat), green is the water, and next are barnacle covered creatures. Tender and patient wild animals weighing between 30-40 tonnes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, BonVivant said:

It's been 1 and a half days since I got back, feeling like a zombie but can't seem to break the jet lag cycle yet. For other people it takes a couple of days, for me it's around 10.

First lunch in Bahia Magdalena.

jQuweWb.jpg

Ceviche of chocolata clams (my favourite clams).

J5v9IcB.jpg

J5v9IcB.jpg

Chicken fajitas
DmzIKMU.jpg

Freshly made corn tortillas

icwVIcE.jpg

Unfortunately, the other tortilla lady is no long there. I was looking forward to eating her tortillas. Hers are bigger and thinner. She uses a big rectangular blue press. The new lady uses a standard round silver one.

cxtN6AO.jpg

Had many emotional reunion with the whales. I missed them so much. The hassle of getting to these out of the way whale watching places was worth it (not to mention the high costs). 2 whales pressed their heads together (first time for me). Another one. Blue is the side of my panga (small fishing boat), green is the water, and next are barnacle covered creatures. Tender and patient wild animals weighing between 30-40 tonnes.

The ceviche looks fantastic. I eat my body weight of cheviche when in Mexico. How do you get so close to the whales? Kayak?

• Like 2

Looks like the dog's breakfast, but it was my lunch. Fairly typical for me - use up some leftovers and try to get a couple of servings of veg in. Cooked beets, acorn squash, cherry tomatoes. Topped with feta and some pickled onions. Lots of black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic. It was good, no matter how it looks.

lunch_6763.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Made a "big salad" for Mr. Kim for lunch today:

Mr. Kim eats raw broccoli?????!!!!!

IMG_6305.thumb.jpeg.a493f968b75bfaa52677129914808f84.jpeg

Chicken salad sandwiches (on Pain d'Avignon brioche), with a side salad.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Mr. Kim eats raw broccoli?????!!!!!

IMG_6305.thumb.jpeg.a493f968b75bfaa52677129914808f84.jpeg

Chicken salad sandwiches (on Pain d'Avignon brioche), with a side salad.

That man eats almost every vegetable almost any way he can get it.  The exception seems to be turnips.  He's truly a dream to cook for.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Simplified preparation of Taiwanese iron eggs - baked all night long with soy sauce, sugar, peppercorns, anise, cinnamon.

They are chewy and very flavorful.

Grilled cheese with kimchi.

PXL_20220301_190115935.jpeg

PXL_20220301_190454043.jpeg

PXL_20220301_192405160.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.