• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Don't enjoy to go to the supermarket in my food hell, but on holiday I look at every aisle, fridge and freezer! The wonderful German supermarkets are always fun to wander round. How fast the time passes when you are busy checking out what the inhabitants like to eat and have access to.

In my food hell we are not clever enough, or interested in having frozen, ready to eat boletus and salsify.

lqMDUAn.jpg

The horseradish cream blew my nostrils off. I overestimated myself.

vTyytxr.jpg

The 1 big (sliced in half) boletus takes up much of the package. Meat is Kasseler. A pork product that's been cured and smoked.

TVtUuAB.jpg

Another day, another sparkling Riesling.

2jvqTFi.jpg

Some "snacks"

bEbYY5D.jpg

Bakery in the neighbourhood. Notice it's also open on Sundays and holidays, for 3 hours. Germans need their fantastic bread daily. Most things are closed on those days.

On the way back from a 15km walk when I was passing by vineyards on the way down I stopped to watch a farmer work. There’s a built-in ramp on the side of the tractor that he drove his lawn mower like machine on it. I think the little machine is for clearing weeds between the vine rows. He drove all the way down to the end of each row, back to the top, then onto the ramp. And how did he move the tractor to the next row? By using a control panel within his reach. The process was repeated until every row was done. The vineyards here are so steep, most of the time you can't just stand on the ground. You must hold on to something.

Here he came back up again from the bottom of the slope. When he drove onto the ramp he was lying half way flat.

After watching the farmer I started walking again and saw this. Thanks for your hard work, farmers!

Finally reaching the street level and admiring my twin village through the rows of vine. Next year or 2 they will be in bottles so that we could enjoy. Without the farmers, the bees and critters there would be no wine! Respect for (vineyard) farmers.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Don't enjoy to go to the supermarket in my food hell, but on holiday I look at every aisle, fridge and freezer! The wonderful German supermarkets are always fun to wander round. How fast the time passes when you are busy checking out what the inhabitants like to eat and have access to.

In my food hell we are not clever enough, or interested in having frozen, ready to eat boletus and salsify.

lqMDUAn.jpg

The horseradish cream blew my nostrils off. I overestimated myself.

vTyytxr.jpg

The 1 big (sliced in half) boletus takes up much of the package. Meat is Kasseler. A pork product that's been cured and smoked.

TVtUuAB.jpg

Another day, another sparkling Riesling.

2jvqTFi.jpg

Some "snacks"

bEbYY5D.jpg

Bakery in the neighbourhood. Notice it's also open on Sundays and holidays, for 3 hours. Germans need their fantastic bread daily. Most things are closed on those days.

On the way back from a 15km walk when I was passing by vineyards on the way down I stopped to watch a farmer work. There's a built-in ramp on his tractor that he drove his lawn mower like machine onto it. I think the little machine is for clearing the weeds between the vine rows. then onto the ramp. And how did he move the tractor to the next row? By using a control panel within his reach. The process was repeated until every row was done. The vineyards here are so steep, most of the time  you can't just stand on the ground. You must hold on to something.

Here he came back up again from the bottom of the slope. When he drove onto the ramp he was lying half way flat.

After watching the farmer I started walking again and saw this. Thanks for your hard work, farmers!

Finally reaching the street level and admiring my twin village through the rows of vine. Next year or 2 they will be in bottles so that we could enjoy. Without the farmers, the bees and critters there would be no wine! Respect for (vineyard) farmers.