• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Neck/collar steak ("lumberjack style")

YEhaY0u.jpg

Sausage salad

A8T2w8t.jpg

A former monastery got converted into a brewery, in a beautiful and tranquil setting. The beers are very nice too boot.

W7W5VGY.jpg

At another place:

Onion soup with a heavy cheese toast

uQUhTBI.jpg

Smoked trout on plate but it's more about the herbs and edible flowers they grow in their own garden.

NBvB5Sx.jpg

These leaves are so intensely aromatic I thought they were lovage. Wife/cook said celery. I eat celery leaves all the time but ours don't have this kind of intensity in smell and flavour.

Vhkguvi.jpg

4 Rieslings and 1 Sekt ("traditional method")

Lynh7Tq.jpg

Restaurant is in the basement and has 5 tables. We were the first to arrive, had only 2 tables to choose from. Owners are kind and cool. Man is the vineyard farmer himself, wife cooks in the restaurant when it's open - mostly in high season. They enjoy telling you about their wines and their food. The regulars arrived shortly after us who were on hugging-and-kissing terms with the owners.

3jaT3eC.jpg

gMGNsyH.jpg

All the herbs and edible flowers come from their own garden and they all taste wonderful.

WatKRQ1.jpg

- There are cookery books for Mosel region. (Unfortunately, I no longer buy cookery books or souvenirs.)

- Wine is the soul of the Mosel valley. You can bring vine plants home.

The mind-calming beauty of the Middle Mosel:

- Endless quaint villages and camp grounds with vineyard slope backdrop.

- One of the many quiet villages.

- This lovely village where I ate a meal in photos above, is 30 minutes by bike from where I'm staying. "Nationally recognised holiday destination". Absolutely well deserved.

- Riesling at every turn. Again. Sundial/clock on far left. A closer sundial. Everyone in the village could see the time.

- You wait right there! My kids have priority!

- Big wheel so you could see the vineyards from up there.

- The last sun rays of the day. Then comes the blue hour.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Neck/collar steak ("lumberjack style")

YEhaY0u.jpg

Sausage salad

A8T2w8t.jpg

A former monastery got converted into a brewery, in a beautiful and tranquil setting. The beers are very nice too boot.

W7W5VGY.jpg

At another place:

Onion soup with a heavy cheese toast

uQUhTBI.jpg

Smoked trout on plate but it's more about the herbs and edible flowers they grow in their own garden.

NBvB5Sx.jpg

These leaves are so intensely aromatic I thought they were lovage. Wife/cook said celery. I eat celery leaves all the time but ours don't have this kind of intensity in smell and flavour.

Vhkguvi.jpg

4 Rieslings and 1 Sekt ("traditional method")

Lynh7Tq.jpg

Restaurant is in the basement and has 5 tables. We were the first to arrive, had only 2 tables to choose from. Owners are kind and cool. Man is the vineyard farmer himself, wife cooks in the restaurant when it's open - mostly in high season. They enjoy telling you about their wines and their food. The regulars arrived shortly after us who were on hugging-and-kissing terms with the owners.

3jaT3eC.jpg

gMGNsyH.jpg

All the herbs and edible flowers come from their own garden and they all taste wonderful.

WatKRQ1.jpg

- There are cookery books for Mosel region. (Unfortunately, I don't buy books or souvenirs.)

- Wine is the soul of the Mosel valley. You can bring vine plants home.

The mind-calming beauty of the Middle Mosel:

- Endless quaint villages and camp grounds with vineyard slope backdrop.

- One of the many quiet villages.

- This lovely village where I ate a meal in photos above, is 30 minutes by bike from where I'm staying. "Nationally recognised holiday destination". Absolutely well deserved.

- Riesling at every turn. Again. Sundial/clock on far left. A closer sundial. Everyone in the village could see the time.

- You wait right there! My kids have priority!

- Big wheel so you could see the vineyards from up there.

- The last sun rays of the day. Then comes the blue hour.