• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

59 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Merguez with sweet potatoes and dates from I Dream of Dinner. I was going to fry an egg to top this off but I decided to dig right in and have no regrets.

1C6161F6-06BE-4DE8-AAEF-CF30DF2D9010_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9b9349a6f9221630ad49a978ce39e3b2.jpeg

Sweet potatoes, sausage, dates and lemon slices get tossed with olive oil and go into the oven together while you make a quick chermoula-ish sauce. I've made other versions of this sort of thing but the combo of charred lemon slices and dates is excellent. 

Whew.  It looks like we got past the bean section!  That looks quite delicious. 

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Whew.  It looks like we got past the bean section!  That looks quite delicious. 

Thanks!  It was good and I’d make it again. Diana Henry has a similar sweet potato/merguez recipe in her book, Simple, without the lemon and dates but with BEANS - two kinds!  Luckily for you, I’ve already made that so you don’t have to see it again!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Merguez with sweet potatoes and dates

So against my better judgement (and falling under your spell) since I will probably never cook from it, I bought the book. Curious about the sauce for this dish I looked up the recipe and I’m still puzzling over this instruction:

Pit 8 dates and coarsely chop into ½-inch pieces (outsides up so the sticky middles don’t gunkup your knife.)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

So against my better judgement (and falling under your spell) since I will probably never cook from it, I bought the book. Curious about the sauce for this dish I looked up the recipe and I’m still puzzling over this instruction:

Pit 8 dates and coarsely chop into ½-inch pieces (outsides up so the sticky middles don’t gunkup your knife.)

I didn’t really get that either. I always cut up dates with a scissors and did so here, even though I only needed a couple for my portion.  Seems to me, dates are sticky no matter which side is up!

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn’t really get that either. I always cut up dates with a scissors and did so here, even though I only needed a couple for my portion.  Seems to me, dates are sticky no matter which side is up!

Thanks I thought I was missing some amazing kitchen truc that everybody else knew!  

My 2004 eG Blog

B6BBA835-65D6-475D-AEFE-8EC1A95CD76E.thumb.jpeg.0f80e69d4d56908f2de26533e3912671.jpeg

Spinach omelette. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Same thing 2 days in a row. 

Well if you can do it so can I. Not quite the same but very similar. Mushroom omelette with canned mushrooms. A drizzle of Thai sweet chilli sauce to add a little zing. 

208FA9BF-F8D2-4265-B41C-566C9EFB589F.thumb.jpeg.2d71ddf10151c9dbf30c1cdd725821bd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another repeat.  Yesterday's lunch, The Tomato, from Turkey and the Wolf, this time on the called-for butter-fried sourdough

I am wilting with jealousy. 

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am wilting with jealousy. 

I appreciate your nudge to make this the proper way. This was probably messier than Vivian's Elbow Lick Tomato Sandwich but after reading the book's note, "Cutting Board Salad," that describes the stuff that falls out of their overstuffed sandwiches, I was ready!

• Haha 2

Dave's Killer Bread, Good Seed thin-sliced. Lightly toasted (barely toasted - office toaster oven is highly inefficient) with chunky peanut butter. I love seedy bread. First time buying this, I've wrapped a couple of slices and put them into the freezer to see how well it reconstitutes.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@blue_dolphin, you make the most beautiful, delicious looking sandwiches.  

I also like that you actually toast your "toast".   I don't care for anemic looking toast. 

968511257_EggsBenedictOctober8th2022.thumb.jpg.2a378e5095f9da30a85145c1e8ebdefe.jpg

I still had leftover ham so I made Moe Eggs Benedict for breakfast, with fried ham

on toasted homemade baguette and lots and lots of hollandaise sauce.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

On 10/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, Ann_T said:

@blue_dolphin, you make the most beautiful, delicious looking sandwiches.  

I also like that you actually toast your "toast".   I don't care for anemic looking toast. 

Awww, thanks!  If only I had your marvelous bread, my sandwiches would be so much better!  And yes, I do like my toast TOASTED!  

Grilled gruyere with prosciutto and fig jam on sourdough.

9910C3B6-6B1A-419B-BDEF-2F7D82732512_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f3ea2d2c84ee88da43f45767dd72a86f.jpeg

Crappy photo.  Decent sandwich🙃

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

@BeeZee – I love Dave’s Killer bread.  Mr. Kim objects to the price (though he wouldn’t even notice it if I got it at a local bakery – it’s paying $6 for sliced bread in a plastic bag that does him in, I think 😄). 

@blue_dolphin – gorgeous BATA sandwich!  How the heck do you get your bacon so flat?  And I startled Mr. Kim just now with my reaction to your grilled Gruyere sandwich. He’s working from home today and when I scrolled up and saw it on my computer, I literally gasped out loud! 

@Ann_T – eggs Benedict is probably my favorite breakfast. If it is on the menu, I’m almost guaranteed to order it.  Beautiful. 

Am in complete agreement on TOASTED bread.  Some places (and people) give you what looks and tastes like oven dried bread.  Almost no browning and not truly crisp – just dirty blond and rough textured.  I once sent underdone toast back at an upscale place and was brought what we’ve referred to as “revenge toast” ever since:  basically burnt and tasting of charcoal 😂

Last week:

1-IMG_0801.thumb.jpg.b2703fbbcad004d23293e0dff1adc8be.jpg

NC sage sausage and some leftover restaurant hushpuppies.

Saturday:

1-IMG_0809.jpg.d024d216acbba1c42ef1f4f6e69fe155.jpg

Sausage and egg on an English muffin.

This morning was a Lidl croissant:

1-IMG_0829.jpg.a732a167b260a398e0c9c97b91960859.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I once sent underdone toast back at an upscale place and was brought what we’ve referred to as “revenge toast” ever since:  basically burnt and tasting of charcoal 😂

Revenge toast.  That is funny.  I always request well toasted toast and I don't even care if it is slightly chard.  

913074925_HalibutfishandchipswithshoestringfriesOctober10th2022.thumb.jpg.4696c732811e6f19086d5e0ed30572ba.jpg

Halibut Fish and Chips on the menu again tonight. Light crisp tempura style beer batter.
1830110674_HalibutfishandchipswithshoestringfriesOctober10th20221.thumb.jpg.9af5c69735a87d9b79c265ed064d3656.jpg
Love having a freezer full of halibut.
I used the Julienne blade on the new Breville food processor to make shoestring fries. Takes one second per potato to process.

OPPS!!1  Sorry, this should have been posted to the dinner thread. 
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Revenge toast.  That is funny.  I always request well toasted toast and I don't even care if it is slightly chard.  

913074925_HalibutfishandchipswithshoestringfriesOctober10th2022.thumb.jpg.4696c732811e6f19086d5e0ed30572ba.jpg

Halibut Fish and Chips on the menu again tonight. Light crisp tempura style beer batter.
1830110674_HalibutfishandchipswithshoestringfriesOctober10th20221.thumb.jpg.9af5c69735a87d9b79c265ed064d3656.jpg
Love having a freezer full of halibut.
I used the Julienne blade on the new Breville food processor to make shoestring fries. Takes one second per potato to process.

I'm swooning....

I've been using the different blades that came with the Breville Sous Chef 16 cup Food Processor.
Today I tested the slicing blade on last night's leftover roast beef.
1825877627_RoastBeefslicedinBrevilleFPOctober13th2022.thumb.jpg.eaa59cae3ef3280e77e1e73c7fe99084.jpg
Took all of 2 seconds to slice what was left of the roast.
1634575685_RoastBeefSandwichonBaguetteOctober13th20221.thumb.jpg.4bc879c5015e9b59100fd04ad07a57f8.jpg
Made Moe a sandwich for breakfast on one of today's baguettes. .
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T, I'm very impressed at the slicing job on the roast!  Of course the bread and perfectly cooked beef are swoon-worthy, as is that bowl of chili!

Musabaha (warm chickpeas with green chilli sauce and toasted pita) from Falastin

116E333C-E3AB-484E-89DF-6026495A0FB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6a8d337d99cb96ed26474d4d34e687da.jpeg

Kind of a pre-blender hummus. Nice contrasts between the chickpeas, creamy tahini sauce, bright, acidic green sauce and toasted pita. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1