• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Oh, those gooey runny egg yolks that everyone is showing off look SO good.  I’m adjusting to some new meds, so I know that my tummy couldn’t take them, but I really want them. 

@blue_dolphin – I really love the tea towel.  I’m going to be digging through my recipes to try to find something in my grandmother’s handwriting to do this with. 

We recently had a ladies’ breakfast meeting at church, and I made this blueberry breakfast cake to take:

1-IMG_0628.jpg.6b0cd1a170cf7053d16ea7eaa805c44b.jpg

A good friend made this for us one morning when we stayed with them in Florida and I’ve loved it ever since.  It goes together very easily and holds very well for a few days.  I was afraid I’d messed it up this time because it felt really heavy and didn’t brown very much, but it was perfect inside.  Jessica and I both felt that some demerara sugar rather than white sugar on top would have looked better. 

With one thing and another, I haven’t posted much lately, so here are a few recent breakfasts:

1-IMG_0642.jpg.fa3ab8540cc4c0d5c8c7879060c66b2d.jpg

English muffins, scrambled eggs, and canned corned beef – one of many guilty pleasures!

1-IMG_0644.jpg.29a476e454dcd98041bb26e3e1edf8bd.jpg

Freezer biscuits – one with honey and butter and the other with ham and blackberry jam.

1-IMG_0675.jpg.385ec96e2ced0c6e2a3861e24cb8d170.jpg

Freezer waffles and some ham leftover from making the macaroni salad this past weekend.

Today:

244184105_1-IMG_0684(1).thumb.jpg.bb1db82b3dda3266ef0200321c361de7.jpg

Buttered sourdough bagel and ham. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Godmother's Egg Salad

I looked at that and tried hard not to turn up my nose as it were. It just seemed to be over the top and not necessarily in a good way.
You generally share your opinion of a recipe that you have made so I’m wondering if you enjoyed this. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I looked at that and tried hard not to turn up my nose as it were. It just seemed to be over the top and not necessarily in a good way.
You generally share your opinion of a recipe that you have made so I’m wondering if you enjoyed this. 

I enjoyed my breakfast immensely but the stars of the show were a spectacularly flavorful tomato and the lightly toasted ciabatta. The egg salad was an acceptable condiment that I'm glad I tried but won't make again.

Glad I tried because it doesn't use any mayo, just mixes the broken up, cooked eggs with some olive oil to emulsify the yolks and I was curious how that would work. Fine, though I prefer mayo.

Won't make again because I don't like onions in egg salad.  These were briefly pickled in red wine vinegar and oregano so I was curious if that would be more appealing.  No.  Though I might try adding some of that chopped salami. 

I'm debating what to do with the rest of the egg salad. The author suggests spooning it over boiled potatoes so I think potato salad is not a far stretch. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The egg salad was an acceptable condiment that I'm glad I tried but won't make again.

Thanks for your explanation. I could imagine it might make a fine potato salad. I am guessing that onion is more acceptable to you in potato salad than egg salad. I find chives acceptable in egg salad but that’s about as oniony as I want to get. I am a fan of raw onions, usually. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Eggs with Smoky Scallion Oil from I Dream of Dinner 

905D7E1D-27F2-4F27-8867-A5F78D3CDB82_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d8bd0b1056da88abbd7843ff3ab275b3.jpeg
I've never been a fan of the "egg on yogurt" dishes.  Even when I let the yogurt come to room temp, it seems to cool things off too much but I noticed that Nigella Lawson recommends warming the yogurt to around body temperature and that made all the difference! The recipe called for asparagus, I subbed a sliced portobello mushroom and it made a nice bed for this fresh farmers market duck egg. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I was inspired by @blue_dolphin’s egg salad but stuck closely to my usual preparation.

I cooked two eggs in the air fryer (270° for 12 minutes). I peeled them and mixed them with some butter (like blue_dolphin I didn’t fancy mayonnaise this time) and some chopped celery. (A visitor left a large amount of celery in my crisper drawer.) I added a little salt and then opened a can of smoked mackerel and added some of that to the plate. I was quite happy. 

FA4950F3-56DE-4F49-BBA1-98759D8BB9CE.thumb.jpeg.2db53dffe827823e83c0bbd9b5f9673c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Fried egg, rice & beans

1798E183-EC77-452A-9C66-A069DC60A587_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b1795e9223a81824e1afcf4c337f272.jpeg

Chipotle-tomato baked rice from I Dream of Dinner, Rancho Gordo Negro Santananero beans from Oaxaca

Your recipes and preparation are gorgeous!  Looks like a feast every day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_T– thank you, ma’am.  I’m pretty sure I’d also pick ham!  I love both sweet and savory with breakfast, but if I have to choose savory wins out every time.  I’d dive right into Moe’s French toast, though! 

Tuesday:

1-IMG_0715.thumb.jpg.7387a79cca59779f2152ae31dc9aff7a.jpg

Corned beef (canned), leftover corn muffins, and a fried egg. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_0721.jpg.b0fdc7ad693ad5f33f6bcf4152c4549d.jpg

Leftover biscuits, the last of the canned corned beef and an ugly egg.  I was so afraid that the egg would be awful.  I did a dozen in the IP and lost track of time.  They ended up languishing after the pressure cooking stopped for almost an hour.  But they are fine.  Just a little green around the yolk. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook I love corned beef hash as well and mine comes in a can. How do you get yours so perfectly crisped? 

I use a non-stick pan, a bit of butter, heated up over medium before adding the slices.  Then I let them fry without moving for probably 3 minutes before flipping.  Even with a non-stick pan, it wants to stick to the pan, so you have to use a thin spatula and really COMMIT to it!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Merguez with sweet potatoes and dates from I Dream of Dinner. I was going to fry an egg to top this off but I decided to dig right in and have no regrets.

1C6161F6-06BE-4DE8-AAEF-CF30DF2D9010_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9b9349a6f9221630ad49a978ce39e3b2.jpeg

Sweet potatoes, sausage, dates and lemon slices get tossed with olive oil and go into the oven together while you make a quick chermoula-ish sauce. I've made other versions of this sort of thing but the combo of charred lemon slices and dates is excellent. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1