• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

I Dream of Dinner has a bunch of suggestions for "Emergency Fried Egg Sandwiches," one of which is sauerkraut, bacon & mustard.  Though there is no emergency here, I decide to try it. Instead of bacon, I diced up some country ham and crisped it up in the pan before frying the egg. 

3FD482EE-301B-4A04-AA2C-5C861A4299C8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f5ceaa991550d51ebf1093c54a31713a.jpeg

There's a layer of kraut under the egg and plenty of Dijon on both sides of the bun   Could have cooked the egg a tad longer but easy enough to sop up the yolk with the bun. 

Not bad. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I Dream of Dinner has a bunch of suggestions for "Emergency Fried Egg Sandwiches," one of which is sauerkraut, bacon & mustard.  Though there is no emergency here, I decide to try it. Instead of bacon, I diced up some country ham and crisped it up in the pan before frying the egg. 

3FD482EE-301B-4A04-AA2C-5C861A4299C8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f5ceaa991550d51ebf1093c54a31713a.jpeg

There's a layer of kraut under the egg and plenty of Dijon on both sides of the bun   Could have cooked the egg a tad longer but easy enough to sop up the yolk with the bun. 

Not bad. 

Would you consider trying that with kimchi as the fermented cabbage? Egg as always enticing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Would you consider trying that with kimchi as the fermented cabbage? Egg as always enticing.

Yes, I’ve done that before and will do it again. It was actually on my mind for today but I like it with avocado and sadly, the one I planned to use was no good so i pivoted to this. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Another successful start to the day. IMG_20220914_081604.thumb.jpg.dcebf0ac375161b7274b6b11de939775.jpg

Take your wins where you get them.

You had me at the Colmans. Frickin fortune at local market now ---- when they have it. Hey a morning win is a good start in general :)

• Like 3

Egg, prosciutto and Parmesan baked in a portobello mushroom

D1EBEA48-2DD1-4FA6-B098-B651CF104FA9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6c810a90249a006ea6e7ee76733190d4.jpeg

@Anna N might be surprised to hear that I got this idea from her....well, read on if you want to follow the circuitous route...

Over in the Pinsa Romana topic, Anna shared a link to an organization that set itself up as some sort of pinsa authentication authority.  I followed the link and decided to check and see if any of the LA area restaurants specializing in pinsa had been vetted by this group, which seems to require restaurants to purchase their flour mix for the privilege of being authenticated  🙄.  The only local spot listed was not one of the speciality places I might have expected but "Pizza Boy" in Glendale, an establishment with such a wide-ranging menu of wings, ribs, soups, salads, pasta, sandwiches, Ajarski khachapuri, pizza of every description and, indeed, pinsa, that I couldn't help but scroll through it in some detail.  As one would expect for SoCal, everything is available in vegan, gluten-free and low-carb options.  Yes, you can get a low-carb khachapuri with the basturma, cheese and egg stuffed into a portobello mushroom!  
They also offer a stuffed mushroom that I decided to copy for my breakfast with prosciutto, egg and Parmesan.  And now, I'm posting it and tagging @Anna N to close the winding loop!

Was worried that I'd overcooked it but still had a runny yolk!

9AEF39B1-06DE-42CF-84A5-4C50E32C8B9F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6d11760eb4a68095bb5149658489568b.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Anna N might be surprised to hear that I got this idea from her...

Great breakfast idea. I think we visited that one before in some fashion. Must add portobellos to my grocery list. 
I was almost sorry that I posted that link worrying that somebody might think I was buying into the BS. Nonetheless I found it very interesting. Gotta love those ancient Romans. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Left a batch of dough in the fridge since last Saturday.
Took out last night around 7:00 and left out on the counter until 4:30 this morning.
So a 96 hour cold fermentation. and a 9.5 hour rise before shaping.
686548662_BaguettesSeptember15th2022.thumb.jpg.b3f44e335e387d1770664ba671769a1a.jpg

Three baguettes, last one out of the oven 20 minutes ago.
In time for breakfast.
369341243_PotatoLeekSoupSeptember15th20222.thumb.jpg.ec100b17761f0ed0e30c962241c2fa23.jpg
Promised Moe I would make a pot of potato leek soup this morning. He had some for breakfast and I'm going to take the same for lunch.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Another of the "emergency fried egg sandwich" suggestions in I Dream of Dinner was a chorizo patty + kale

image.thumb.jpeg.12eeb8fd2f0ce4bf85d526fb43731e65.jpeg

I mixed up a mayo from Max's Sandwich Book with sweet smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic and lemon juice and applied that to both sides of a toasted brioche bun, sautéed some baby kale and other greens with garlic, cooked up a chorizo patty and fried an egg.  Quite good. I started out with a thinner patty but it contracted during cooking.  I think I'll shape some of the chorizo into thinner patties that I can cook directly from frozen for this purpose. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Promised Moe I would make a pot of potato leek soup this morning. He had some for breakfast and I'm going to take the same for lunch.

Is Moe a “dunker”? I see that gorgeous soup and that bread and I know exactly how much I would enjoy it but only if I were completely alone!:smile:

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Is Moe a “dunker”? I see that gorgeous soup and that bread and I know exactly how much I would enjoy it but only if I were completely alone!:smile:

In some cultures (including mine) dunking is expected, as is wiping your plate/bowl with last of bread to not lose a drop of sauce ;)  No need to enjoy it alone. Picking up plate to lick might cross an etiquette line.

Edited by heidih (log)

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin can you expand on chorizo patty? Also really like the spread you created.  Many thik of kale as "chewy" - so in a sandwich it might pull out or be difficult. Was yours chopped?

I purchased a package of frozen, ground chorizo from Wild Fork and it's been in my freezer for a while. It's uncooked and says "Spanish-style ground chorizo" so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I just pulled off a piece, shaped it into a patty and cooked it in a pan.  The seasoning is different (flavorful but not spicy-hot, paprika-forward) and it's less fatty than most Mexican-style chorizo I've purchased or made myself. I'll shape up more patties and freeze them for future use. 

The baby kale is pretty tender.  I did run a knife very roughly through the greens after I sautéed them.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of creative breakfast sandwiches and have seen some great examples on this forum. Honourable mentions to @blue_dolphin and @Ann_T.

This morning's effort: lettuce, black pudding, mushroom with green onion, roasted red pepper, a tad overdone egg, old cheddar and lots of black pepper. Finished with the last of this season's fresh wild blueberries and blackberries and coffee.

DSCN0307.thumb.JPG.46d77e27b2c1d08eb842fc1ed355e4ba.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Another of the emergency fried egg sandwich ideas from I Dream of Dinner is "griddled red onion and chili crisp."  I grilled the onion on the Phillips and while it was still warm, tossed it with an ample amount of chili crisp. Layered that on a grilled brioche bun smeared with a dab of chili crisp-rice vinegar-mayo and piled with arugula.  Topped off with a crispy fried egg.

image.thumb.jpeg.f68a35146b78b94f2a9e5d8688842d49.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25e9b0d315575dc965fe2feb5ef27232.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Taking a break from the egg sandwiches but still had a brioche bun left so I turned to a recipe for "Sloppy Lennys" in I Dream of Dinner.  Basically a Sloppy Joe, made with lentils instead of ground beef.  

Onion rings and tomatoes on the slide.

37308AF5-F54F-468F-9B21-3004CB62AB4F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b1d27c5be3aab5e228e2f78f39464d87.jpeg

I have zero fond memories of Sloppy Joes but this was surprisingly flavorful.  I did put a generous smear of Dijon on the bottom bun. Topped with pickled jalapeños and crispy fried onions.

These may be called Sloppy Lennys but I am not a sloppy dolphin so after taking the photo, I added more lentils to the top bun and ate everything with a knife and fork!

Edited to add that I can’t imagine anyone here would want to make this, but just in case, the recipe can be found online here. I omitted the sugar.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Edited to add that I can’t imagine anyone here would want to make this, but just in case, the recipe can be found online here. I omitted the sugar.

Never say never…that looks like something I would make and portion for weekday lunch!

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Taking a break from the egg sandwiches but still had a brioche bun left so I turned to a recipe for "Sloppy Lennys" in I Dream of Dinner.  Basically a Sloppy Joe, made with lentils instead of ground beef.  

Onion rings and tomatoes on the slide.

37308AF5-F54F-468F-9B21-3004CB62AB4F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b1d27c5be3aab5e228e2f78f39464d87.jpeg

I have zero fond memories of Sloppy Joes but this was surprisingly flavorful.  I did put a generous smear of Dijon on the bottom bun. Topped with pickled jalapeños and crispy fried onions.

These may be called Sloppy Lennys but I am not a sloppy dolphin so after taking the photo, I added more lentils to the top bun and ate everything with a knife and fork!

12 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Never say never…that looks like something I would make and portion for weekday lunch!

Like blue_dolphin, I have zero fond memories of Sloppy Joes. Never really understood the point, and the name still evokes unhappy memories from childhood when I'd be at a picnic or a friend's house and was expected to delight in those things.

That said, this does look good...as long as I don't have to put it on a burger bun and eat it that way! Thanks for the link.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I happened to remark quite offhandedly to a visiting friend that I rather fancied some lime marmalade. As if by magic, this showed up

31A07A14-6124-421B-9CC6-BAD1DC102E6A.thumb.jpeg.2d3949d123f7d4ff422ea995678618bf.jpegand so breakfast was

CC7F146E-0A57-421B-8B0E-CB1B397CD850.thumb.jpeg.75186efe73f2610fbd66f4349e40c98c.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I got up early and baked a little 1/3 scale Queen Elizabeth cake using a recipe from a friends mum. This photo is a tea towel that my friend had printed with her mother’s recipe:

C36ABA4A-B7E7-4377-913B-032FE3B248C9.thumb.jpeg.1f8560eb7ec6492446ac68681c4bae75.jpeg
No photo because I managed to ignite the topping under the broiler 🔥🧯🙄but I had a slice for my breakfast and it didn’t taste bad. 

• Like 7