• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

5C3F4A83-C549-489C-841E-25A5B3509807.thumb.jpeg.1cb2320a452df88db3c801cb5b06b6ae.jpeg

Softly scrambled eggs and blanched sugar snap peas which were tossed in butter. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Everything on this page looks great. @liuzhou

I am most envious of yours.

I get a great deal of self affirmation some mornings setting this off,

IMG_20220903_073123.thumb.jpg.3ef51227d080ed51942fb58805926ee7.jpg acting as a time challenge while I toast bread and prepare a 2 egg omelette like this

IMG_20220903_112702.thumb.jpg.a9254968e919d198f884760b0d2c0051.jpg

Fancied something sweet as well.

IMG_20220903_112640.thumb.jpg.0aa67d5ea6beba9712efaf65cb7e0f95.jpg

Made it! Great start!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 8/18/2022 at 2:14 AM, Ann_T said:
699084870_SlicedBaguetteAugust17th20221.thumb.jpg.ed117248af03ee3b83e5d96ab3a6fe91.jpg
Sliced one of yesterday's baguettes for breakfast today.
230636192_SlicedBaguetteAugust17th20222.thumb.jpg.1ccbb9eeff210032f773d6dfb7e40c34.jpg

Toasted and topped with Canadian back bacon and sliced tomatoes.
454160294_SlicedBaguetteAugust17th20224.thumb.jpg.20fe641726b9592cc800aa67f2575138.jpg
Breakfast for two.

Is there a hubba-hubba icon?

• Like 3

Cape Breton sunrise from my porch:

image.thumb.jpeg.c496fe899a8db125f6dfc5728a5630da.jpeg

And a celebratory breakfast:

1012456622_CelebatoryBreakfast2.thumb.JPG.631f6e5424db844d29f565e52d830bfa.JPG

Mini grape tomatoes, french breakfast radishes, smoked salmon, ww english muffin with mango habanero jelly, cremini and oyster mushroom saute and herbed soft scrambled eggs. Foraged blueberries and blackberries and the obligatory coffee.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Last night, it cooled down to 74°F.  Still about 10 degrees higher than I'd like but so much better than recent nights that I slept well and after reading @Senior Sea Kayaker's post, I decided a celebratory breakfast was in order here as well.  

A couple of weeks ago, a local woman I follow on Instagram posted about an Onion Ring Benedict she ordered at a breakfast spot in Ventura.  It swaps out the usual English muffin for onion rings stuffed with bacon and artichokes, topped with poached eggs and a cream of spinach sauce.  Shades of Jessica's Trashy Benedict that @Kim Shook's shared here, no?  I've been torn between trying to recreate it at home or heading over and ordering it for "research" purposes 🙃.  

Since I now had an occasion to celebrate, I decided to give it a go.  While I might be ready to crank up a few stovetop burners, homemade, fried onion rings for breakfast weren't happening so I reviewed expert opinions here on eG which supported the use of Nathans's (battered) or Alexia (breaded) frozen onion rings.  I considered buying both to compare but they were each $6.50/bag so I went with Nathan's.  In retrospect, I think the panko breading on the Alexia rings might have been a better choice for this purpose but the crispness of Nathan's batter held up admirably. 

7A25A9F3-0485-4CDD-A030-1A4043129898_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.bfa61d680476eddbbc9a6de6e77e8dcd.jpeg

Instead of bacon, I diced up some country ham and sautéed it with some of the TJ's frozen artichoke quarters in order to infuse some flavor into them.  Otherwise, I pretty much followed the description so there's a little pile of artichokes and ham under each egg. . 

@Kim Shook, tell Jessica I have Trashy Benedict competition for her 😉

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

onion rings stuffed with bacon and artichokes

I obviously take things far too literally. I tried hard to imagine how you could stuff an onion ring not realizing that in this case it meant something entirely different from stuffing an olive. A most interesting concept. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I obviously take things far too literally. I tried hard to imagine how you could stuff an onion ring not realizing that in this case it meant something entirely different from stuffing an olive. A most interesting concept. 

Yeah, not sure I understood that either. I went with stacking two rings (I selected the bigger ones) and spooning the quartered artichoke hearts and diced ham into the ‘hole’ in the middle before putting a poached egg on top. 
I’ll report back if I manage to get to the cafe to try the real thing!

• Like 1

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I’ll report back if I manage to get to the cafe to try the real thing!

I bet your version will win hands-down!  There do not seem to be any worthwhile frozen onion rings available in this neck of the woods. Correction – – I just checked and the Alexia brand appears to be available in some supermarkets. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin not sue on the onion rng base but your creamed spinach is calling. Your method? One of my fave childhood comfort foods.

I don't have a go-to recipe but found this online and used it as a general guideline.  I used Crystal hot sauce instead of cayenne and grated in a bit of nutmeg. I thawed what was left in a bag of frozen spinach rather than use fresh and left it on the saucy side instead of opening another package. 

Edited to add that when I was getting the onion rings, I considered buying a package of frozen creamed spinach but I figured I ought to cook something!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I don't have a go-to recipe but found this online and used it as a general guideline.  I used Crystal hot sauce instead of cayenne and grated in a bit of nutmeg. I thawed what was left in a bag of frozen spinach rather than use fresh and left it on the saucy side instead of opening another package. 

Edited to add that when I was getting the onion rings, I considered buying a package of frozen creamed spinach but I figured I ought to cook something!

I prefer the frozen as more flavorful than the (to me) insipid baby fresh.  Never used cream cheese though have seen it called for.  When I think of creamed spinach other than the family one (white sauce w/ finely minced onion and breath of nutmeg) Lawry's comes to mind. I may have to give the Times copycat a try - simple but w/ bacon  https://www.latimes.com/recipe/creamed-spinach-a-la-lawrys

• Like 1

@kayb – that yogurt bowl is killing me.  With the potassium restricted diet I have to avoid yogurt and whole grains and I miss my yogurt bowls!!

@blue_dolphin – there’s not one thing I wouldn’t love in that Benedict.  Jessica says “game on”!  LOL. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_0611.jpg.bca95248142d826c121b2e8ab47658ab.jpg

Lidl croissant, Muenster cheese, OM egg, and Off the Bone ham. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Some of yesterday's creamed spinach on toast, topped with soft scrambled egg

How can something so simple make me   salivate so much?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog