• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin – I have some of those pancakes in the freezer, I need to dig out my waffle maker and do that!

First breakfast this morning:

1-IMG_0478.jpg.7f06f6d831e13776a976bd32f034b2d4.jpg

Lidl chocolate croissant.  They do a decent job with the croissant dough, but I always wish for more chocolate in a pain au chocolat.  What I should do is just buy plain croissants and spread them with Nutella.  An hour later, I was still hungry, so 2nd breakfast:

1-IMG_0481.jpg.1a6e6ac67195de3212a64d53e31b52a0.jpg

Fried egg and ham on and English muffin.  Overcooked the egg a bit, but it was still tasty.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – I have some of those pancakes in the freezer, I need to dig out my waffle maker and do that!

They take while to cook, longer than a waffle.   Here's what one looked like when the waffle iron informed me it was done.  

3BF28A61-877F-4465-BD21-13CD2F5DCFDB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ef71a87dbc72c1b561ee8d2adf2649cd.jpeg

I deemed it not done and left it in to get more crispy but you can take them out when they're lighter if you'd like a more chewy texture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A local bakery offers a special croissant or puff pastry every weekend.  Usually sweet and while beautiful, they don't really tempt me too much but this weekend's was savory. 

I bit:

B8EADA12-4D90-4EF5-A818-D89A276B2677_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.59e7e6cdd2b3da619c03a5fa38db47eb.jpeg

Filled with ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses combined with spinach and artichoke hearts. Topped with a baby artichoke heart.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

@Kim Shook 

looks so delicious .

what sort of Sausage ( Tubular ? )

sliced and perfectly cooked 

do you use , have VA options 

do you have ?

I recall 

distantly . 

@Smithy 

or a similar Traveler 

In the "" Pork States ""

and that includes All Pork 

to seeing a supermarket display 

of may similar ground  pork Items 

for breakfast 

@rotuts – I have to confess that the sausages you were talking about were the fully cooked refrigerated (not frozen) Jimmy Dean sausages like this.  I saw a taste test of supermarket sausage on America’s Test Kitchen and they won over everything that was tasted including raw sausage.  They really are good (I always brown them in a pan – not the microwave) and truly convenient.  I like them nearly as much as the sage Jimmy Dean sausage in the rolls.  I also loved the Jones that you recommended (the brand my mom always bought), but it is hard to find here. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_0505.jpg.e442b77a09ca2dad6639fcb6959b6099.jpg

A Lidl croissant and a sweet pastry with a boiled egg.

This morning:

1-IMG_0514.jpg.e9a1aa4247fac20468b5645a1b07a9d5.jpg

A ham biscuit and another Lidl croissant.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Bruschetta for breakfast.
1814092102_BruschettaBreakfastAugust26th2022.thumb.jpg.ec4d7fcf5b7a57c3bbb2a4bd50f35cb0.jpg

This was suppose to be the start to last night's dinner. But I knew if I had this I wouldn't be hungry for the main course. So made it this morning for breakfast.
Thick slices of my homemade bread fried in olive oil. The tomatoes and basil came from our garden, and the garlic was locally grown here in the Cowichan Valley.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Bruschetta for breakfast.

You make some amazing meals and there are very few of them that I might spurn (usually something sweet) but right now I would make a fool of myself for just one slice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Braised oxtails on polenta

AB6633F9-AA75-4CF8-A232-63EE47E140C9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.00e8a08ac6dfcb0ef434ea9681e2da9b.jpeg

Yeah, I know.  Not exactly a summer breakfast. But I cooked the oxtails to make a terrine and wanted to try them as is, too.  I wouldn't want this late in the day but it was around 63°F this AM so I popped a serving' worth of polenta in the Instant Pot, warmed up a little of the meat and dug in!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 6

A tale of two muffins... toasted for 5 minutes in the air fryer.

IMG_20220828_002245.thumb.jpg.c38b77b2a0e4fb59590fba31e0973845.jpg

4 o'clock: duck pate

2 o'clock : with a load of pepper

8 o'clock : with damson jam

10 o'clock : for the win, with chilli and garlic.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Kerala said:

4 o'clock: duck pate

@Kerala, what are the orange-colored bits on the 4 and 8 o'clock muffins?

Inspired by recent discussion in the Liverwurst topic, I picked up a jar from these folks at the local farmers market and Inspired by @Kerala's breakfast, I made my own assortment.  

IMG_3821.thumb.jpeg.ef81b94d8990ec1a2bfde4c7c44552c8.jpeg

Left:  Dijon mustard, liverwurst, drunken raisins, pickled shallot and pickled Fresno chiles

Middle: Grainy Dijon mustard, liverwurst, tomato, onion, capers and cornichons

Right: Grainy Dijon, liverwurst, peach chutney, crispy fried onions

All on toasted sunflower seed rye which I sliced thinly because it's fairly sturdy stuff. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Inspired by recent discussion in the Liverwurst topic, I picked up a jar from these folks at the local farmers market and Inspired by @Kerala's breakfast, I made my own assortment.  

What a way to start the day! Fabulous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Kerala, what are the orange-colored bits on the 4 and 8 o'clock muffins?

IMG_3821.thumb.jpeg.ef81b94d8990ec1a2bfde4c7c44552c8.jpeg

Left:  Dijon mustard, liverwurst, drunken raisins, pickled shallot and pickled Fresno chiles

Middle: Grainy Dijon mustard, liverwurst, tomato, onion, capers and cornichons

Right: Grainy Dijon, liverwurst, peach chutney, crispy fried onions

All on toasted sunflower seed rye which I sliced thinly because it's fairly sturdy stuff. 

You're leaving me in the dust, @blue_dolphin

The orange bits are the gelatin layer atop a shop-bought duck and orange pate.

• Thanks 1

A quick, tasty breakfast.  Leftover focaccia from Craft Bakery, scrambled eggs,  Wright's bacon and a South Carolina peach.   My wife likes her eggs plain but I like mine punched up a little so I sautéed a handful of mushrooms,  onion, tomatoes and artichoke hearts to anoint mine.  Topped with torn mint and sheep's milk feta.   The coffee is a flat white using Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey Blend.

IMG_20220828_094452489_HDR.thumb.jpg.832f92e635efb03bc2bd862ef9e28964.jpg

IMG_20220827_081810180.thumb.jpg.0ad7239809482658e940deb8ec14ad9d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

14 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

I like mine punched up a little

The operative word being little. Looks quite delicious. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog