• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Toasted baguette slices spread with goat cheese, topped with fresh figs and a drizzle of hot honey.  Thomcord grapes and rosemary marcona almonds on the side. 

A73CBBDA-D8D5-4762-8B17-E82D9A9189AA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9dbe3b5795fa66386547a98c1dd6108f.jpeg

So enticing in this warmer weather.  i have wondered - do you wake up inspired, assess ingredients available in the morning, or do you plan night before. My goofiness is planning the meals as my "counting sheep" method. 

47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Toasted baguette slices spread with goat cheese, topped with fresh figs and a drizzle of hot honey.  Thomcord grapes and rosemary marcona almonds on the side. 

A73CBBDA-D8D5-4762-8B17-E82D9A9189AA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9dbe3b5795fa66386547a98c1dd6108f.jpeg

Annnnnnd I'm having my annual fig and thomcord grape envy.  That looks so good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Annnnnnd I'm having my annual fig and thomcord grape envy.  That looks so good.

I have fig envy as well. About 45 minutes away from me, there is a large Italian population and in those neighbourhoods, almost every home has a huge fig tree. I sometimes see them in a market near me but they are about 10.00 for 6 figs. I just have to make do with fig preserves or dried figs.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, rotuts said:

`image.thumb.jpeg.adb826d0cbfbc7876ccf22a2dc8380d6.jpeg

B&M Beans ' Onion & Bacon '

BM_Bacon__Onion_Baked_Beans.jpg.b9a6805c889194e60c0d1d09b866636f.jpg

Ice Cold , directly from the Refrigerator.

Excellent.

I've never had cold baked beans but the idea is not unappealing to me. I like leftover pizza cold and have been known to eat leftover pasta cold as well.

42 minutes ago, lindag said:

I'm often tempted by the recipes I see for homemade baked beans, however, I then recall just how good the canned products are and use B&M or Bush's instead.

I tried years ago to make them from scratch.  Never came out as good as canned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I tried years ago to make them from scratch.  Never came out as good as canned.

I inherited my Nana's bean pot and have made homemade a few times. They were definitely good, but time consuming. They also call for salt pork which is not easy to find in these parts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, heidih said:

So enticing in this warmer weather.  i have wondered - do you wake up inspired, assess ingredients available in the morning, or do you plan night before. My goofiness is planning the meals as my "counting sheep" method. 

Could go either way.  Sometimes there's something I've been wanting to try and I know it's best to get to it in the AM.  Or maybe I can hear tasty leftovers to calling me from inside the fridge and feel obliged to answer them 🙃Or, I fart around until I need something quick and easy.  Today, I had in mind to make the grilled asparagus, fried bread, poached egg and aged balsamic vinegar from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc At Home to use up some asparagus.  Then I saw the croutons were supposed to fry for ~ 20 min and my bread was in the freezer and needed to thaw out first so turned to the figs, which also needed to be used and made a nice accompaniment to my coffee. Thus sustained, I moved on to the croutons slow fried in garlic oil and am now enjoying my previously intended breakfast, even if it's pretty much lunchtime!

707695F7-92EF-4E10-9805-F632A5C92E87_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a1be37d94e65f07c219c132efb17ce5b.jpeg

48 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have fig envy as well. About 45 minutes away from me, there is a large Italian population and in those neighbourhoods, almost every home has a huge fig tree. I sometimes see them in a market near me but they are about 10.00 for 6 figs. I just have to make do with fig preserves or dried figs.

I'd really like a fig tree but my landscape person said they were too big and between the birds and rats, it's hard to get a good crop so I pay up at the farmers market.  They're usually $5 for what I'd call a pint basket, generally more than 6, but depends on the size.  They're usually ripe and ready to eat and since I got these guys on Thursday, they were more than ready!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thus sustained, I moved on to the croutons slow fried in garlic oil and am now enjoying my previously intended breakfast, even if it's pretty much lunchtime!

I would definitely not turn my nose up at either breakfast but that Thomas Keller one is killing me! 
So happy to hear, just as I suspected, that your  meals are not rigidly planned but that within reason you go with the flow and adapt as needed.

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Could go either way.  Sometimes there's something I've been wanting to try and I know it's best to get to it in the AM.  Or maybe I can hear tasty leftovers to calling me from inside the fridge and feel obliged to answer them 🙃Or, I fart around until I need something quick and easy.  Today, I had in mind to make the grilled asparagus, fried bread, poached egg and aged balsamic vinegar from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc At Home to use up some asparagus.  Then I saw the croutons were supposed to fry for ~ 20 min and my bread was in the freezer and needed to thaw out first so turned to the figs, which also needed to be used and made a nice accompaniment to my coffee. Thus sustained, I moved on to the croutons slow fried in garlic oil and am now enjoying my previously intended breakfast, even if it's pretty much lunchtime!

707695F7-92EF-4E10-9805-F632A5C92E87_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a1be37d94e65f07c219c132efb17ce5b.jpeg

I'd really like a fig tree but my landscape person said they were too big and between the birds and rats, it's hard to get a good crop so I pay up at the farmers market.  They're usually $5 for what I'd call a pint basket, generally more than 6, but depends on the size.  They're usually ripe and ready to eat and since I got these guys on Thursday, they were more than ready!

Your breakfast is amazing. I had a slice of cold pizza that my nephew brought home last night. Not complaining, I like cold pizza, but it didn't hold a candle to your sumptuous repast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bought figs at the farmers market Saturday. Debating what to do with them. Hard to beat cut most of the way through from the stem in quarters, filled with blue cheese, broiled and drizzled with a little honey. Or I may make a fig upside down cake.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, Shelby said:

I love cold baked beans.  I've done the same many a morning.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, Shelby said:

Excellent.

Currently eating Aplenty Carolina Gold BBQ Beans (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), an Amazon store brand.  Out of the can.  I like these, fairly mustard forward flavor, underlying spicy tang and still sweet, but not overly.    The reviews are love or hate it seems.   We all like strong mustard in the house, so maybe it makes sense we really like this version of baked beans.  I only bought 1 can to try, but I am adding to the next Fresh order for a couple more cans in the pantry.  

Edit: It would be a kicky breakfast with these and a couple fried eggs and toast.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

@rotuts – I love B&M beans!  For some reason, I’ve always thought that the jarred ones tasted best.  Being influenced by my English stepdad, I’ve have had to heat them up and put them on top of some heavily buttered toast 😉!

@kayb – thank you, ma’am!  It wasn’t Benton’s – it was Appleton Farms and we just got it at Kroger.  It was delicious, but maybe not quite fatty enough.  It made very little grease in the sheet pan when I roasted it. 

@blue_dolphin – those fig crostatas are amazing looking.

We’ve been without a refrigerator since Saturday (long story – thought it was gone, but it looks like the door was open all Friday night), so I treated myself to a good breakfast this morning.  A grilled fried egg sandwich and sausage patties:

1-IMG_0373.jpg.12c6bb482664c8f25dcb89bec7737812.jpg 

1-IMG_0374.jpg.2b78688ae01299f7809c7ae13450edcc.jpg

There were a couple of good, gooey yolks in the middle.  I haven’t yet perfected @blue_dolphin‘s method of spreading out the fried egg yolk yet!  This is my favorite way to have an egg sandwich.  Grilling it like a grilled cheese gives you a nice, buttery crunch on the outside and a soft, pillowy bite on the inside.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Leftover green bean & potato salad with an egg and hot buttered toast

74D902A7-8D86-4806-B4A3-BDB4892F68EA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7bee5d4a92ef6ab9fc849d8c0a46366b.jpeg

You should operate a bed and breakfast! Your breakfasts are alway so original and appetizing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

You should operate a bed and breakfast! Your breakfasts are alway so original and appetizing.

i agree 100%!

Breakfast this morning was ham and cheese on an English muffin and some watermelon:

1-IMG_0386.thumb.jpg.4a8a5c4e73f3d16af7b596f4f2423094.jpg

Watermelon is one of my very favorite fruits (and the only melon I care for) and I'm always sad when summer ends and the good stuff is gone!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

On 8/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, rotuts said:

`image.thumb.jpeg.adb826d0cbfbc7876ccf22a2dc8380d6.jpeg

B&M Beans ' Onion & Bacon '

BM_Bacon__Onion_Baked_Beans.jpg.b9a6805c889194e60c0d1d09b866636f.jpg

Excellent.

I LOVE cold Pork and Beans! Leftover craving from travelling in our Volkswagen Westfalia.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 8/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Leftover green bean & potato salad with an egg and hot buttered toast

74D902A7-8D86-4806-B4A3-BDB4892F68EA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7bee5d4a92ef6ab9fc849d8c0a46366b.jpeg

I would love this! Might have to cook extra green and yellow beans tonight!

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We went up to Washington DC on Saturday to celebrate Mr. Kim's birthday.  It was a day early, but we had duties at church on Sunday.  He wanted to tour the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. On the way up, we breakfasted on some apple cider doughnuts that I got on Friday at the produce stand:

1-1-IMG_0400.jpg.1801daa2c744596b5ab67ce02c14ce57.jpg

This morning:

1-IMG_0468.thumb.jpg.8f64b290fc5fcd1de043a9589d60cca2.jpg

• Like 5