• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I would need to ditch the provolone or replace it but otherwise it looks like a fabulous sandwich. 

I failed to document my deviations but I used Mobay instead of provolone, frozen, chopped spinach instead of fresh, dried dill weed and spread the bread with mayo instead of butter. I also lightly toasted the “inside” side of the bread before building the sandwich. 
I think it’s a good recipe to play around with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Smoked sturgeon with caviar.

bfast1.thumb.jpg.123fe47101745d5728573dceb1ac4147.jpg

bfast2.thumb.jpg.947d90bce6051b047206fcc02a8bedd6.jpg

This looks interesting to me. I've never had sturgeon (that I'm aware of), how would you describe it (flavor/texture/etc)? It looks like an oily fish, or is that an illusion in the photo?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

24 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

This looks interesting to me. I've never had sturgeon (that I'm aware of), how would you describe it (flavor/texture/etc)? It looks like an oily fish, or is that an illusion in the photo?

It is relatively oily. Quite strongly flavoured, but in a good way. Very flaky in texture. This stuff is hot smoked and is probably my favourite smoked fish. But damned expensive!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou – the sturgeon looks delicious.  I’ve never had good caviar, only the cheap little pots you can find at any grocery store, so I don’t know if I like it or not. 

This morning:

1-IMG_0253.jpg.99129233177a5eedb24b47c8a9e53ab8.jpg 

An ET bagel with chive and onion cream cheese.  Mr. Kim is off this week and went up to the bagel place before anyone else got up. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 7/26/2022 at 4:14 AM, liuzhou said:

Smoked sturgeon with caviar.

bfast1.thumb.jpg.123fe47101745d5728573dceb1ac4147.jpg

bfast2.thumb.jpg.947d90bce6051b047206fcc02a8bedd6.jpg

Your previous posts regarding smoking sturgeon triggered me to find some (its meat is becoming slowly available back in Spain due the farms for caviar). Didn't found smoked meat like yours, but natural (in water) and liver, from Armenia. They should arrive around noon by today :)

• Like 1

@Kim Shook — don’t really have a recipe. However many hash brown patties  cover the bottom of the baking dish. I think it was a 12-oz pkg of sausage, cut into coins and browned because I couldn’t be arsed to remove the casings and crumble it. About a cup, cup and a half of grated Gruyère. Five eggs because that was how many were left in the carton. Maybe half a cup of milk. I’ve used diced ham instead of sausage, and actually used leftover pulled pork bbq once. It was pretty good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, Ann_T said:
I made Moe waffles for breakfast.
439518946_WafflesJuly28th2022.thumb.jpg.0c9856a4012473f132f4f72ef971a283.jpg
Topped with blueberries warmed up in the maple syrup.
903623918_WafflesJuly28th20222.thumb.jpg.f7a1de53f2bfa4d7ba7a6d8ba08f55b1.jpg
I think he like them.

This looks astoundingly delicious. I don't often eat breakfast, but I would eat THAT for sure. Blueberries and waffles are one of those magical combos.

What kind of batter did you use for your 'plaid pancakes'?

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

7 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

What kind of batter did you use for your 'plaid pancakes'?

@pastameshugana, The recipe is called Waffles of Insane Greatness by Aretha Frankensteins.

The recipe is here on my blog...https://thibeaultstable.com/2013/04/25/waffles-two-ways-new-waffle-maker/

Hadn't made waffles in a while.  Forgot how quick and easy this recipe is.   Need to make them for Moe more often.

• Thanks 2

This was breakfast on Friday:

1-IMG_0299.jpg.279ba864cd5107b205f88270fc120669.jpg

The most unassuming looking yeast rolls.  But they are out of this world good.  One of our favorite "Greek" (the family is actually Lebanese) restaurants here.  They make them fresh all during service and sometimes you have to wait a bit if the oven gets crowded.  No idea what the herb/spice flavor is that makes them so special, but most every "Greek" place I've ever eaten in that serves a yeast roll rather than a crusty loaf has incredible rolls with that special flavor.  A few minutes of Bake/Steam in the CSO and they are perfect.  

• Like 6

@lindag – the base recipe could absolutely be that recipe.  But there’s the addition of some flavor – an herb or spice (?) – that sets them apart.

This morning:

1-IMG_0335.jpg.f270d5749013231afc85781d4455b375.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese and bacon. Served with a really good peach from the produce stand:

1-IMG_0337.jpg.d79b47f27dbc72a7feeea5b801463cea.jpg

I love stone fruit season!  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

the base recipe could absolutely be that recipe.  But there’s the addition of some flavor – an herb or spice (?) – that sets them apart.

1. Have you asked the bakers about the seasoning?

2. Any chance it's zaatar?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

49 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It could be, I guess.  Hard to tell by just tasting the seasoning right out of the jar. I have a friend who is part of the Richmond Lebanese community, I've asked him.  He doesn't know, but said he'd ask his mom.  I need to nudge him again!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

That sounds like a good candidate. Even if it's not the recipe from the original rolls, I think I'm inspired to whip up some zaatar infused rolls!

My first time having zaatar was in Jerusalem, we bought some hot, soft pretzels and they gave us little cups of zaatar to dip them in. Fabulous.

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice egg.  For a not spicy please girl I am guessing black pepper is way different to your taste buds than chiles.

Yep. I don't find pepper (black or white) or horseradish injurious to the taste buds.   I find that they fade pretty quickly and that they don't get in the way of actually tasting the food.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

so excellent !

may I suggest 

2 eggs ?

Im available,   using  my fine snapper  on that plate 

easier clean up 

It was two eggs - I only popped one yolk for the photo "shoot". 😄 There was plenty of good, gooey, runny yolk to dip my toast into!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1