• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

On 6/27/2022 at 10:04 AM, Kim Shook said:

Nectarine, soft cooked eggs, and toasted Billy Bread.  The eggs were just perfect for me:

1-IMG_9940.jpg.81b029b0bbb29fc49d757d9ad248de71.jpg

They were done with a Cooks Illustrated method where the eggs are placed in boiling 1/2-inch of water over medium-high heat, covered and cooked (basically steamed) for 7 minutes.  Most reliable method I’ve ever tried. 

Great photo.  Perfectly set eggs.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

As attractive as this is, and as much as I want to sample Ann T’s chili, I have to offer that chili should be served with cornbread.

I know cornbread  served with chili is a thing. Just not my thing. As much as I love cornbread but as a side to chili it

just doesn't do it for me.  In fact toast is actually my second choice.  I think chili is best served with homemade flour tortillas. 

484333114_CornbreadJuly9th2022.thumb.jpg.5ba5191502026c212481b52adec344db.jpg

I did bake a cornbread this morning, per Moe's request. He loves it for breakfast. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

'Nduja

Thanks for reminding me about this. I was able to order a jar of ‘Nduja spread. It’s been so long I almost cannot remember the taste so I’m looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

B50C39BB-89A2-4758-9223-4E916544FCF6.thumb.jpeg.d8c0d0e8623e39cc1ee854c3ee6441b8.jpeg

Hard cooked egg on white toast with ‘nduja spread. Olives and  store-bought pickled mushrooms. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Started out to make the Ideas in Food fried egg salad sandwich but then pivoted to riff on @Anna N's breakfast, 

That fried egg sandwich is calling out to me. I’m not a huge fan of egg salad but I can see me making and eating something like that. No ham on hand but I could sub with some mortadella!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, I mentioned that Ideas in Food fried egg salad but had not actually tried it, so I did:

A0A660DF-4E29-4AA2-AAA8-6D203D23DA9A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.437aa8439076763ea95d3bcb8d3ab133.jpeg

I sautéed chopped onion til translucent, added diced country ham and let them cook together over low heat for a bit before cracking in the eggs.  Once they were cooked, I used a spatula to break them up and added a larger spoon of mayo and a smaller spoon of Dijon. This isn't what I think of as egg salad but it's a very good, quick egg dish. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, I mentioned that Ideas in Food fried egg salad but had not actually tried it, so I did:

Yours looks much better than the link. That is how I make mine. Avoids the steamed egg chore. And the peeling. I do mine low and slow and partially covered. (not a bit fried). Add minced celery and their tender leaves, lots of dill, after a bit cool in a bowl. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 3

Cooked up a bag of Rancho Gordo Marcella beans this AM for another purpose but started to get hangry so I went with a bowl of Creamy White Beans With 'Nduja, Kale, and Gremolata Breadcrumbs 

IMG_5387.thumb.jpeg.fc822c4bbaf9961fb6e3cf84b40dc6ae.jpeg

Used radish tops instead of kale and added a flatbread from the freezer on the side. 

I think I've made this before. That 'nduja is great for quick, flavorful dishes. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin - both courses of your 7/9 breakfast look fantastic, but those incredibly lovely and juicy peach slices keep drawing me back.  I’m getting good tasting peaches, but they just aren’t drippy and juicy like they should be!

I have to go back a bit to catch up!  Sunday before last was some lovely things from our drive to Charlottesville and Staunton VA on Saturday:

1-IMG_0057.jpg.88dca2ec7069c31e49859387b9b82cfb.jpg

1-IMG_0058.jpg.c9b63433bcef1b84fa48ecfa3a25a44e.jpg

The kouign-amman and the lemon curd “cruffin” were from Albemarle Baking Co. and the mini baguette was from Food of all Nations (a local specialty grocery store).   

A week ago Tuesday :

1-IMG_0129.jpg.351b60f6fe319d9e80cf126da18ca79a.jpg

Toast and a deceitful plum.  The plum looked, felt, and smelled ripe.  It was tasteless and crunchy.

Friday:

1-IMG_0151.jpg.9bdb9b91bb72678318392e76493728ae.jpg

Watermelon and tomatoes on toast. 

I had made some sweet lemony biscuits a few days ago to do blackberry shortbread and toasted one up the next day to serve with some seedless blackberry jam we’d picked up in our travels:

1-IMG_0178.thumb.jpg.f220cc2e8364467b5b3f07d00e5672d3.jpg

This morning I was quite a hybrid – NC country ham and a buttered crumpet:

1-IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.4e51cf25e5fff687c4da8a8092b4f8b1.jpg

😁

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Something of a variation on the Trashy Benedict:

20220722_111903.thumb.jpg.1d5da39d945356399403d98faffcd67e.jpg

Line the bottom of a baking dish with hash brown patties. Top with sausage, grated cheese, and eggs beaten with milk.

I learned I do not like the Vermont Maple breakfast sausage links I got from Misfits.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb – that casserole looks wonderful!  I bet it’d be nice with a dollop of cream gravy, too!  I'd love to have the recipe.  And, most of the time, I am totally with you on maple-flavored sausage.  I’ve had one or two I’ve liked, but most are just not what I want in sausage. 

Yesterday was yet another cinnamon raisin bagel with Honey-Walnut cream cheese and a peach:

1-IMG_0223.thumb.jpg.b52488d4137c78b8adaf73673ae3b5e1.jpg

Today:

1-IMG_0230.thumb.jpg.d00c36162d86ddec16d82eb5d66c9e3a.jpg

Farmer’s market blackberries with cream and crumpets – one with butter and honey (thank you, @ElsieD) and the other with strawberry preserves. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

English muffin with cashew butter, fresh farmers market peach and chili crisp.  Galia melon on the side.

015EE501-A07D-498D-880E-8850D9E49571_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.02e6ebfee87d486555608b12f6aab3be.jpeg

And yes, the peach really looks like that.  I forgot to ask what variety they are.  Maybe July Flame? If not, it should certainly have flame in it's name!  They're really good with a nice sweet/acid balance. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Yes.  Too sweet - and this is from someone who dips their sausage in syrup.  Some of them have a funny aftertaste, too.  

I was able to eat it....I really liked the texture (I like a "smooth"...or maybe "fine grind" is a better term....NO chunks of gristle or big chunks of meat).  But it was...yeah, too sweet.  Maybe I just don't care for maple sausages.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain said:

That's a first for me. Seems quite odd in my brain.🤔

Stunning toast as usual. 

Me too - I wondered if it was cold or warm milk. hat tiast I agree is the jeal star,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain said:

That's a first for me. Seems quite odd in my brain.🤔

Stunning toast as usual. 

For me it was one of the definitive childhood summer memories. When blueberries were in season, we'd pick them from the sunny bank across from my grandmother's house (a subdivision now, for lo these many decades) and then have them for breakfast with milk and a sprinkle of sugar. That's the taste of summer for me, to this day. I'll still have a bowl of them at least once each summer, and last year served it to my grandkids (to their delight).

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Spied this Spanakopita Grilled Cheese over on Food52

I would need to ditch the provolone or replace it but otherwise it looks like a fabulous sandwich. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin – Lord!  That is a lovely peach!  And I am definitely making that grilled cheese!

@Shelby – completely with you on the fine grind sausage thing.  I detest large grind or gristly sausage.  Probably why I’m not crazy about the bratwurst that you buy raw and cook and prefer the already cooked ones. 

This morning:

1-IMG_0247.jpg.5f1a6f18142505b657e72e1c69230fc3.jpg 

Bread, ham, and potatoes leftover from Saturday’s dinner. Plus, a scrambled egg and some cherries. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2