• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

These are the smallest chicken eggs I've ever seen. Heading down to quail size. And I totally misjudged the cook on them. Over-boiled eggs on toasted muffins.

1339344787__20220622131955.thumb.jpg.8454e0038d443c725b17fa73fd43aa40.jpg

Those eggs look very cute!  The smallest chicken eggs I can buy are the peewee size and the people that bring them to my farmers market only have them when they are bringing on a lot of young hens.  Per standard US sizing, the peewees are ~ 35g or 1.25 oz per egg in the shell.

1-IMG_9939.thumb.jpg.01d575e96cb055825903a126fcc9b6b8.jpg

Nectarine, soft cooked eggs, and toasted Billy Bread.  The eggs were just perfect for me:

1-IMG_9940.jpg.81b029b0bbb29fc49d757d9ad248de71.jpg

They were done with a Cooks Illustrated method where the eggs are placed in boiling 1/2-inch of water over medium-high heat, covered and cooked (basically steamed) for 7 minutes.  Most reliable method I’ve ever tried. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:49 PM, Kim Shook said:

Breakfast this morning was just toast.  But it was from a fresh loaf of Billy Bread (local bakery), so it was fantastic:

1-IMG_9907.thumb.jpg.5499b376659b38139e2eeef7209891e5.jpg

One with too much butter and one with too much strawberry jam.

Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as too much butter!"

In my home it's become somewhat of a joke, they will state butter amounts using *me* as the measure: "That looks like a 'dad' amount of butter" or "Use as much butter as dad would use."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@johnnyd – I meant to say that I’m terribly impressed with the grits in your breakfast.  They look so nice and thick.  So often grits run all over the plate! 

Breakfast this morning was a slice of Publix Breakfast Bread toasted and with cinnamon sugar:

1-IMG_9946.jpg.907f215a75d02f90503db58b2bd41670.jpg

Our Florida friends told us about this bread, and it is delicious.  It’s loaded with raisins, walnuts, dried apples, dried apricots, and dried cranberries.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

On 6/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, johnnyd said:

Grits from Palmetto Farms, South Carolina

I like that their free shipping kicks in at a low $30 worth of product.  When I use up my current supply, I'm gonna give them a go! (Wish they had rice too).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I like that their free shipping kicks in at a low $30 worth of product.  When I use up my current supply, I'm gonna give them a go! (Wish they had rice too).

They start in cold water then simmer 20 minutes after boil. They smell amazing. Going for the yellow grits next order.

• Like 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

@rotuts recommended this sausage to me:

1-IMG_9951.jpg.c5e7f6d5fede2df316cda34df8394f83.jpg 

It was a bit of a job to find it, but I finally tracked it down at Wegman’s.  I was looking forward to it because my mother always used Jones link sausages which I haven’t had for years.  It was the one pork item that she didn’t cook to death and I remembered really liking it.  @rotuts said that it was less fatty than Jimmy Dean and it really is.  I loved the flavor, but will have to adjust my cooking when I use this stuff.  It turned out drier than it should have been.  I’m guessing that I overcooked it.  Next time I’ll try a hotter iron skillet instead of my usual non-stick and see if that helps.  I certainly tastes good, though!  Served yesterday with buttered IP hard-cooked eggs and an English muffin:

1-IMG_9952.thumb.jpg.f5c0cc3edf43194618e21280d6bf87c9.jpg 

Today:

1-IMG_9968.thumb.jpg.39e7dfba097b0471b31cc58252711d03.jpg 

The same sausage with fig syrup and an English muffin with not very appetizing looking, but good tasting fig spread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook  

WoW !

thank you for trieing it !

in my area

it't the best as it suits me!

they also have scrapple

when I see it in my MarketBasket freezer

I get a few.

Scapple is a separate 

and quite a different tasty matter.

cheers.

• Thanks 1

It's (Jones) my favorite breakfast sausage for sure.

IMG_7206.thumb.jpeg.75623a63745fe4389baf2fc39ac6a069.jpeg

I threw together a plate of assorted odds and ends, from Russ & Daughters.  Natural cream cheese, whitefish/baked salmon salad, Scottish smoked salmon, and smoked sable. Tomatoes and two toasts to round out the plate.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@RWood – that’s my perfect breakfast – a little sweet and a little savoury!

@blue_dolphin – I never think to flavor my yogurt with anything but honey.  I need to try maple.

This morning was a grilled sausage and egg sandwich.  Sausage:

1-IMG_0005.jpg.79b6a3915740ff1cd07e05e630cf3510.jpg 

Egg:

1-IMG_0006.jpg.00d42ed8205ca6009e79b55b40ed97f8.jpg 

I didn’t want it to be too drippy and I got it slightly overdone.  I was going for jammy.

Grilled:

1-IMG_0007.jpg.8ad37428e0ffc05e4993e0d670352f8b.jpg 

With a wonderful peach:

1-IMG_0008.jpg.1c5dd4717d88ee57fa6c76077ae04263.jpg

The peach was a nice surprise.  The skin was a bit loose and wrinkly and I thought it was going to be dry.  It turned out to be perfect ripe and tasty. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday was the first day that almost everyone in Mr. Kim’s agency was expected to work from the office instead of remotely.  In honor of that, and without really thinking about it, he took 2 dozen Krispy Kremes in.  Predictably, many people were leery of shared food, and he brought back 18 doughnuts out of 24.  I’ll probably freeze most to make bread pudding sometime, but it made for a great first breakfast this morning:

1-IMG_0012.jpg.8cbd48af2a2351106c1e8fc7324c9101.jpg

Second breakfast:

1-IMG_0014.jpg.f3ced08ea6b6b4132f691d5ebf3b6d89.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Predictably, many people were leery of shared food

Interesting, I’m not worried about the food but I am wary about eating with a bunch of other people, which is kind of the point of coffee & donuts at work. Kinda sad 😢 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Interesting, I’m not worried about the food but I am wary about eating with a bunch of other people, which is kind of the point of coffee & donuts at work. Kinda sad 😢 

Same with us.  We're ok with separate tables (like a well-arranged restaurant), but we mask up when waiting for a table.  The new head of the agency Mr. Kim works for was planning a "mandatory" lunch to welcome everyone back to the office (I think the compromise was 3 days a week - the new administration wanted everyone back immediately) and people were really up in arms.  During the time that they've all been working remotely, Mr. Kim has had periodic lunches with his staff.  He'd get everyone's order and then they would meet outside somewhere they could talk and still establish some distance.  He thought it was valuable to have some in person face-time, but still maintain safety.  Not all of the directors felt that way and now they are faced with losing some of their staff.  Many people are just not ready to take risks yet.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

In honor of that, and without really thinking about it, he took 2 dozen Krispy Kremes in.  Predictably, many people were leery of shared food, and he brought back 18 doughnuts out of 24.  I’ll probably freeze most to make bread pudding sometime, but it made for a great first breakfast this morning:

I recently bought too many doughnuts at one of our classic donut shops, after a show at which I may have consumed a bit of alcohol. They're open 24/7, so doughnuts at midnight, after a close-by show, can be hard to resist! (It also has a pretty interesting backstory - The Donut Pub - but I digress).

So, we ate a couple, and I froze the rest, figuring I'd see how they were once defrosted.  But then, in a stroke of genius, I popped a couple of frozen ones into the steam girl, and 8 or 10 minutes at 325℉ steam, they were great! I mean - not as good as on the night they were bought, after a bottle or two of wine and who knows what else, but good!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:
I put a big pot of my favourite chili on to simmer on Tuesday. Froze 11 generous individual servings.
1708131603_ChiliandToastJuly7th2022.thumb.jpg.8d8956afeca2a5820ad843d5ebcad49b.jpg

Moe had chili for breakfast with toasted homemade baguette and I'm working today and will take chili for lunch.

This looks and sounds positively fantastic. 

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On 7/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, weinoo said:

I recently bought too many doughnuts at one of our classic donut shops, after a show at which I may have consumed a bit of alcohol. They're open 24/7, so doughnuts at midnight, after a close-by show, can be hard to resist! (It also has a pretty interesting backstory - The Donut Pub - but I digress).

So, we ate a couple, and I froze the rest, figuring I'd see how they were once defrosted.  But then, in a stroke of genius, I popped a couple of frozen ones into the steam girl, and 8 or 10 minutes at 325℉ steam, they were great! I mean - not as good as on the night they were bought, after a bottle or two of wine and who knows what else, but good!

I did that with a few for the next couple of days.  It's a definite improvement over the microwave!  Thank you for abetting my junk food addiction. 

Yesterday was eggs on toast:

1-IMG_0020.jpg.dbe66fe3b1e0fe21081e78ae7277b705.jpg

I haven't done these in a bit and ended up with a bit of egg-snot.  They had to go back in the pan for a minute.

This morning:

1-IMG_0033.thumb.jpg.220b5130af33a32f7855c4cd750b7c41.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:00 AM, Ann_T said:
I put a big pot of my favourite chili on to simmer on Tuesday. Froze 11 generous individual servings.
1708131603_ChiliandToastJuly7th2022.thumb.jpg.8d8956afeca2a5820ad843d5ebcad49b.jpg

Moe had chili for breakfast with toasted homemade baguette and I'm working today and will take chili for lunch.

As attractive as this is, and as much as I want to sample Ann T’s chili, I have to offer that chili should be served with cornbread.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

As attractive as this is, and as much as I want to sample Ann T’s chili, I have to offer that chili should be served with cornbread.

No it bloody shouldn't! I like a good chilli, but ain't eating that muck!

🤣

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto