• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

I've tried to grow it a couple of times, indoors and out, with no success. It irritates me unreasonably, given that the stuff grows wild pretty much everywhere.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@rotuts - no luck so far finding the sausage.  I'll try Wegman's when we get back from our Florida/SC trip next week.  

@blue_dolphin – That egg sitting next to the asparagus is just PERFECT!

@Annie_H  – love the bacon mats!  What a great idea. 

On Saturday we did something fun for breakfast.  A friend mentioned that it was so great that Richmond had three really good and locally owned bagel places.  I thought it would be great to have a taste test, so Jessica went to Chewy’s, Nate’s, and Cupertino’s early that morning and got two bagels (an ET and a salt) from each one and brought them home.  She even recorded our tasting for FB.  Cupertino’s is our neighborhood bagel place - only about 3 miles away – and is consequently our usual go-to place.   Nate’s and Chewy’s are down in the Fan district, so more than 20 minutes away – also, long lines and parking are always an issue.  So, unless we are down there anyway, we tend to go to Cupertino’s.  Which are good.  But are they great?  That’s what we tested.  We decided to test the salt (Mr. Kim’s usual) – on the left - and the ET (Jessica’s and my usual):

1-IMG_9534.thumb.jpg.ba4874c0765e35f474ef8bc773df491f.jpg 

1-IMG_9535.jpg.e9ae595052e27fd1a5ce225ed8d87a44.jpg

1-IMG_9536.thumb.jpg.871ac1e972aadf5a775f94738a85282b.jpg

Obviously, Chewy’s is the looker.  It turns out that most of their bagels are sourdough and they are just prettier.  The ETs:

1-IMG_9537.jpg.3b81dbbe7ac9f726c8ab33365bd129ba.jpg 

They were all good.  But Chewy’s was, by far, the winner.  Their bagel had a lovely sheen and a sticky crust (if that makes sense – it was sticky both in the sense that the garlic and onion are sticky rather than dry and dusty and the “skin” of the bagel is slightly tough, and the sheen is a little sticky on your teeth.  The flavor of everything was just elevated in these bagels. 

Next up was the salt bagels.  I should confess that I never order a salt bagel – I find them too salty and there is a tongue burn I associate with them (the same with an overly salted soft pretzel):

1-IMG_9538.thumb.jpg.a836ec370c61e1cb336a3055dc44697a.jpg 

The Chewy bagel (upper right) won this round, too.  The taste and texture issues were the same – they just chewed better, and the flavor was better.  The difference in the salt was interesting.  The salt on the Cupertino’s and Nate’s bagels was, from what I saw and tasted, was just pretzel salt.  But the Chewy bagel was chunky sea salt.  The flavor was so much more delicate and gentle.  This was a fun experiment and one I’d love to try again with other things. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_9560.jpg.d1d93b7fcfe4aa93c28b94004015848b.jpg 

Toasted super-seedy bread from Aldi.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Love the bagel tasting, @Kim Shook!  and a BLT on @Ann_T's bread - heavenly!

On two recent mornings, I had Anna Banana's Nanner Pudding for breakfast.  Got a pint in my ZEF BBQ order over the weekend managed to stretch it out for a few days.  I'm sure there is something deadly that makes it so good.  I could try to figure it out so I could make it but honestly, I shouldn't ever have more than a pint in my presence at any one time!

7A2E15BE-DAC0-4A47-AF61-B30310B0B4C5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f39cc9126f822e5a3e871a1e6a41044f.jpeg

I'm going out to lunch today so I planned to skip breakfast but started to get hangry.  Took the edge off with some little baguette toasts slathered with Sheldon Simeon's kimchee dip and topped with radish slices sprinkled with herb salt.  Those are French Breakfast radishes from the farmers market and this batch is very hot!

ABD7B71B-B83C-4257-A59A-86F58922124D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f8301a925ae65746096ae29e9a715c60.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

7EB3173A-8EB3-4C7D-9899-A0ACB099A575.thumb.jpeg.8499a9fc78e23f055fb4eb66dc9001e5.jpeg

Johnsonville brat with a fried egg and a pan toasted English muffin. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

nice .

did you pan toast those EM's in Brat Fond ?

and , since TubeSteaks came up :

Can you find , in the GTA , Bangers ?

the ' Wiesswurst '  of GB ?

the finely ground , somewhat pale Tubes

w finely ground cardboard , that I used to have in

GB so long ago ?

I do love them, and WW w pan fond.

Edited by rotuts (log)

@Ann_T – my whole family wants that BLT!

@blue_dolphin - lovely looking banana pudding.  I grew up believing that I didn’t like banana pudding, but it turns out that I don’t like vanilla wafers!  I don’t see any wafers in that!  I am very envious of your ability to get such good, hot radishes!  It’s funny, but I detest spicy foods – anything with peppers or even some BBQ sauces.  But I love hot radishes and a strong cocktail sauce with lots of horseradish.  Someone once suggested that what I couldn’t tolerate was sustained heat and that the heat of horseradish (and hot radishes) wears off very quickly. 

Yesterday:

1-IMG_9567.jpg.ba0aa972e01c43c2cb8c3554135bd1d2.jpg 

We are making do with Skippy since our beloved Jif was recalled.  In what may be an excess of caution after the recall of some Jif jars, the stores seem to have cleared out ALL of the Jif. 

Today:

1-IMG_9575.jpg.eede1a708b3dc0360f495ba92c3ccac3.jpg

Cheese roll and sausage.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

nice .

did you pan toast those EM's in Brat Fond ?

and , since TubeSteaks came up :

Can you find , in the GTA , Bangers ?

the ' Wiesswurst '  of GB ?

the finely ground , somewhat pale Tubes

w finely ground cardboard , that I used to have in

GB so long ago ?

I do love them, and WW w pan fond.

Nope. I had cooked the brats in the air fryer so there was no readily available fond. And besides I had already wrapped my head around English muffins pan toasted in butter. 
Good sausages are not something I have much luck finding. I am not sure I even remember accurately what sausage would qualify as a banger. There is a plentiful supply of sausages sold as bangers but that doesn’t mean they are. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook I’m exactly the same in terms of “spicy” tolerance. I love horseradish and radishes, etc but chili heat burns my palate. 

I need those cheese rolls/buns! 

I agree, they look awfully good!

On 6/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Kim Shook said:

I grew up believing that I didn’t like banana pudding, but it turns out that I don’t like vanilla wafers!  I don’t see any wafers in that! 

Banana pudding wasn't really a thing in northern NY but it's a must-have for my Texas brother's family.  He uses Pepperidge Farms Chessmen (which I like, but please, no soggy), banana pudding from a box, fresh banana and whipped cream. I think his kids might even prefer Cool Whip.  It's not dreadful but I can't say it's worth the calories, either 🙃 The ZEF stuff, on the other hand, is very decadent in comparison. I bought a full pan to bring to a Christmas dinner and EVERYONE wanted the recipe!  

Yesterday, the last of the smoked turkey sandos. This one with pesto mayo, pickled shallots and manzana peppers. 

5685E8AF-CD78-40CF-9771-F9D939C2BD91_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.084c1ed5cdc981e1008f535f033d2852.jpeg

Today, avocado kimchi toast topped with a fried egg.  

DBFB77B2-2ED3-4342-8430-17C3B40CA764_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.abf8a5c2cd32dfa8d4f63ca35b02b2ec.jpeg

I mixed up the kimchi mayo but forgot to drizzle it over the top.  Dang!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

24 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Not pretty, but he really enjoyed it.

OK I am not at all averse to gravy on my salad despite the horror it evokes in those around me but gravy and scrambled egg? So long as Moe enjoyed it that is all that matters. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Continuing the brisket theme but with considerably less elegance than @Ann_T, I made a Kimchi Brisky Brecky Sando

952E046F-3E86-47EC-8BC0-12FE76646B3F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.86c71febf1fc996206b7b4dfa5c1de80.jpeg

Toasted brioche roll slathered with kimchi mayo, ZEF BBQ smoked brisket, warmed up in the CSO and shredded, topped with a fried egg 

3F637F89-CBDF-4FB9-A3BC-91602C1875BB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.22f21657a6255e2bc6546283a732c0ce.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK I am not at all averse to gravy on my salad despite the horror it evokes in those around me but gravy and scrambled egg? So long as Moe enjoyed it that is all that matters. 

@Anna N  Moe loves scrambled eggs and gravy.  When we lived in the Sault, there was an Italian restaurant that put on a Sunday buffet every week, with Italian dishes as well as a carving station. Moe always

had their roast beef and gravy on the same plate as his scrambled eggs.   

I must admit that it isn't my favourite.

473166173_ScrambledeggswithroastbeefJuly23rd20161.thumb.jpg.705a178a6599477215d546f6b33aedc2.jpg

Not uncommon for me to actually do a roast in the morning just so he can have it for breakfast with scrambled eggs. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

20 hours ago, shain said:

Open faced grilled cheese with roasted pepper salsa.

So very simple but it sure does make me salivate. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another brisky brekky

I do love the way you make leftovers seem like transformations rather than mere re-thermalizations. I suspect that those who swear that they hate leftovers would be converted after a few meals at your house. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another brisky brekky

94CA80C8-FF94-429E-A923-FF6E6DCFDB56_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6a608a35e98f9a4f3a22c17f57a766f3.jpeg

ZEF BBQ brisket, warmed in the CSO, shredded and piled on garlic-rubbed baguette toasts with horseradish mayo and pickled shallots.

Last night I brought home almost half of my filet mignon Oscar from the Keg and have been debating how to enjoy it today. (I also brought home the excess Bernaise.) Toasts similar to yours might just be the ticket - thanks!

• Like 2

Had planned to grill a steak last night but neither of us felt like a big dinner so.............
Since I am not working today, I made a late breakfast of steak and eggs.
Grilled the steak which was just over 1lb and big enough to share, and served with roasted potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and fried eggs. Toasted baguette.
668007585_SteakandEggsJune14th2022.thumb.jpg.0a3da2196ed685a17285ff44166dd865.jpg
Sunny-side up eggs, butter basted for Moe and
1120224245_SteakandEggsJune14th20221.thumb.jpg.64a35f2882dc189ccf823c45c4007f1d.jpg
mine over "hard". Don't care for runny eggs.
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

I'm gone a week and so many delicious breakfasts!  I'm putting together a little trip report of our Florida/SC visit and hope to post when it's ready.  

One of Jessica’s friends brought us a couple of cronuts from a guy who works out of a community kitchen in the city.  One cinnamon sugar and one glazed:

1-IMG_9813.jpg.73968f8a49aa9d9cbfb6ce281fc02dbb.jpg

1-IMG_9814.jpg.4c2aa3788eb44af7c890b5a670cd0432.jpg

1-IMG_9815.jpg.1e1575122dded4149d6628f1934e2c39.jpg 

These were absolutely delicious, but as Jessica said, “A hole does not a doughnut make”.  They were honestly more like a Kouign-Amann than a doughnut, but I guess when chef Ansel invented them, they thought people would “get” the mash-up name for a croissant doughnut but wouldn’t know what a K-A was?  Anyway, they were great – maybe needed a little more butter in the lamination, but that’s being extra picky.  Next time we’ll order and pick up our own – Jessica’s friend said when she got them this morning they were still warm! 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1