• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Started off with a recipe for cornmeal pancakes with maple-molasses syrup from Josef Centeno's book Amá. The pancakes were huge and taking a while to cook so I pivoted to waffles.  Either way, there's a nice crunch from the polenta. 

D3CBF3D0-939A-493C-AD96-960653E449A2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f36762e3bcd0b71240e2899bedf11d76.jpeg

The syrup is ~ 3 parts maple syrup + 1 part molasses, which adds sort of a savory note that I liked.  The recipe recommends toasted pecans and berries.  I had cherries. And a couple of sausage links on the side.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday morning:

1-IMG_9486.jpg.dbd7bd747c972646802a3c6c26939f00.jpg

The potatoes were leftover from our lunch out on Tuesday.  Just pan fried them in a little oil and they were like they'd just come from the kitchen.  I honestly think that, for all the methods that folks swear by to rejuvenate leftover fried potatoes, frying them again is the best method.

This morning I made Mr. Kim some sausage and stuffed a leftover biscuit from last night with a patty.  My breakfast was a hot sage sausage patty eaten at the stove while frying the last batch! 😄

• Like 7

Yesterday's breakfast was one of the previous day's cornmeal pancakes, wrapped around a sausage and dipped in the remains of that molasses-maple syrup. Edited to add that both were reheated on steam bake in the CSO and were quite good. 

Today was smoked tuna salad on a toasted brioche bun

4308EBFB-2520-4EF7-9861-87AC97D3E4BF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5c2415e6c40e33474c5b0916769ff57d.jpeg

I made no attempt at such accuracy but somehow manage to slice the romaine exactly through the middle of the leaf which looks a bit odd. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday's breakfast was one of the previous day's cornmeal pancakes, wrapped around a sausage and dipped in the remains of that molasses-maple syrup. Edited to add that both were reheated on steam bake in the CSO and were quite good. 

Today was smoked tuna salad on a toasted brioche bun

4308EBFB-2520-4EF7-9861-87AC97D3E4BF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5c2415e6c40e33474c5b0916769ff57d.jpeg

I made no attempt at such accuracy but somehow manage to slice the romaine exactly through the middle of the leaf which looks a bit odd. 

Before I scrolled down I stared at your sandwich for a loooooong time thinking maybe you had left the plastic on a piece of cheese 🤣

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Before I scrolled down I stared at your sandwich for a loooooong time thinking maybe you had left the plastic on a piece of cheese 🤣

Yeah, I didn’t notice until after I took the photo.  Pretty weird looking!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yeah, I didn’t notice until after I took the photo.  Pretty weird looking!

Henk my mind was just focused on smoked tuna - need!

• Haha 2

Damn forgot to take photo.    But had Grands Southern Biscuits today.     Made some bacon, some great scrambled eggs, slice of American cheese and made a breakfast sammich.    Outstanding and has lasted me all day now until dinner.

• Like 2

Yesterday's first meal was a bit late.  Almost 11 by the time I stopped dillydallying and cooked Marcella Hazan's chicken liver sauce for pasta.  The recipe is from her Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking and is available online at this link. Not a looker but really good. 

C1F2C8DF-094B-4110-A86C-02DCFABABB62_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.37abdb9e0c181691f440a1cda9952062.jpeg

Since it was kinda brunch-time and a holiday to boot, I had a nice glass of pinot noir.    Hmmm.  Maybe I should have put this in lunch?  But it was my first meal of the day....my break-fast meal!

A major motivator in making that pasta dish was to reserve half the liver sauce and add it to Diana Henry's Toasted Brioche with Boozy Mushrooms from her book, Simple. I kinda wanted to make this first and hold the liver sauce over but decided to go with yesterday's dish first. I usually put Diana's mushrooms on toasted sourdough or other sturdy country bread but the addition of the liver sauce made the further decadence of brioche perfect.  Well, if you can call a brioche bun from Aldi decadent 🤣

F18AF1A9-6778-4FE2-8D2E-5224ECDFC3A5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.feb3e467cba651cccf2ab487b9bcd12b.jpeg

Worth waiting a day for!

Edited by blue_dolphin
formatting (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Diana Henry's Toasted Brioche with Boozy Mushrooms

🤢

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kim Shook 

nice ref. to Neese's

seeing all that stuff Id like , and can't get ...

drunk.jpeg.7d36ef06a41d12be531890388f165cc6.jpeg

JimmyDean for me seemed to fatty

I use Jones , in the roll

I completely agree :  sage is a requirement for breakfast sausage

and sausage you put in Stuffing.

I don't know the difference between ' Souse ' and ' Scrapple '

seems Souse  does not have corn/wheat fillers 

i.e. cardboard.  love to try it some day.

have you tried Souse ?

On 6/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

nice ref. to Neese's

seeing all that stuff Id like , and can't get ...

drunk.jpeg.7d36ef06a41d12be531890388f165cc6.jpeg

JimmyDean for me seemed to fatty

I use Jones , in the roll

I completely agree :  sage is a requirement for breakfast sausage

and sausage you put in Stuffing.

I don't know the difference between ' Souse ' and ' Scrapple '

seems Souse  does not have corn/wheat fillers 

i.e. cardboard.  love to try it some day.

have you tried Souse ?

I haven't ever tried the Jones roll of sausage - I've added it to my shopping list and will try it next week.  I grew up on the Jones link sausages (the raw ones, not the precooked ones) but they are impossible to find, at least in my area.  I have never tried souse.  I'm ashamed to say that the look of it gives me the shivers.  My granddaddy used to eat it - cold.  Gave me the horrors as a child.  Scrapple, on the other hand, seems normal and is something I want to try.  We are planning to go to Philadelphia at some point in our future and I was saving my first taste of scrapple for Reading Market!

This morning:

1-IMG_9532.jpg.fe2fddc5ed849f9f830e08043ae390f0.jpg

English muffin – butter and strawberry preserves, and some pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage.  As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before this sausage was a winner on one of the ATK tastings and I actually like it a lot.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday's breakfast was a half brioche bun with a leftover portion of that mushroom/chicken liver combo that I posted just upthread.  I was still a bit hungry so I added some asparagus spears tarted up with Sally Schmitt's sesame mayo from Six California Kitchens.  

BC6E4F25-C86A-4B75-89F9-ADD4C895A635_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d26215801397f1a8708be4746ea402bf.jpeg

This stuff isn't going to change anyone's life but gosh, it's so dang easy.   It's just a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil whisked into a cup of mayo (or if you're me, a scant tsp in 1/4 cup) and topped with toasted sesame seeds.

Good enough and also enough leftover that I had the same today with the addition of a soft boiled egg and Campari tomato. 

F25D1BDE-56B0-4DF2-80AF-2BB976AC74C0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1820b5ffd810df20ad8287a756290c00.jpeg

Toasted a slice of baguette to clean up the plate. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This stuff isn't going to change anyone's life but gosh, it's so dang easy.   It's just a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil whisked into a cup of mayo (or if you're me, a scant tsp in 1/4 cup) and topped with toasted sesame seeds.

No it will not change anyone’s life but damn it was good. I didn’t post a photograph because it was pretty shitty – – the photograph not the food!  I went with a teaspoon of sesame oil to 1/3 cup of mayo. Proportions are the same I think. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/3/2022 at 2:09 PM, Kim Shook said:

Scrapple, on the other hand, seems normal and is something I want to try.  We are planning to go to Philadelphia at some point in our future and I was saving my first taste of scrapple for Reading Market!

Surprised it is on your bucket list. A favorite EasternShore hometown delicacy since I was a wee one. If you like sausage, paté, and polenta/grits, especially polenta next day griddled, I can't imagine not liking it. 

I've been making my own for a while. Over the holidays I ordered my hometown brand. They ship only a short time each year. 

It's greasy so I can control that and like mine better. Too busy doing other things to make a batch.

I made a batch, 4 mini loaf pans, Easter weekend. Used a pound of frozen Momofuku Bo Saam, extra barkie. 1/2 pint of chicken livers. Polenta using good rich master stock. Nothing fatty. Really does not need it. Lots of pepper and sage. I use Bells seasoning since I buy a tiny box every thanksgiving. 

A little town next to my hometown has a scrapple festival every year and the 'Punpkin' Chunkin' insanity. 🙄

When I was young, 8 or 9, I started helping Dad in the kitchen. My siblings are 6,7, and 8 years older and have never been interested in cooking. Dad stopped doing breakfast and eggs to order so I took over. Then decided they can cook their own. Same with bacon being hovering vultures, they would sneak scrapple and bacon from the pan or p-toweled resting. I got smart and start scrapple first side crispy, flip, and immediately cover in cracked eggs. Some broken yolks. Cover with roasted oven potatoes and into the oven for a bit to set the eggs. One sister could not and still does not like food touching so tough tittie. She was a nasty devil and tyrant. Still is but was dealt a bad deck of cards with mental health issues. Not her fault. 

Louisiana Boudin is another favorite we make.

Obviously now I use lots of various veg in the roasted. Dad will like the sweet potatoes I add. 

He will laugh at the method being 'invented' so many years ago. 

I'll make it next visit...

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 11.08.11 AM.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I do the same with bacon. I make a weave of portions. Into the oven to crisp. A breakfast sandwich or brunch BLT. 

A big family reunion the vultures woke and 'smelled the bacon' but could not sneak any. A solo home cook for a crowd is an issue when one needs to start yet another pound of bacon from vultures theiving. The weave seems overly fussy but done ahead getting up early and having solo time with with Pop?. Priceless. 

12 weaved bundles in the oven prepped ahead. Finish crisping before serving. 

(on a salmon BLT the bacon this way is like velcro. Holds all together)

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 5.25.38 PM.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Palestinian style scrambled eggs with purslane, tomatoes, feta.

The purslane was growing wild between the basil and eggplant plants. 

PXL_20220603_114741528.thumb.jpg.0a002c5e57ab00f38c290988d14f136c.jpg

PXL_20220603_114752285.thumb.jpg.31b42dd2c2f6ae8c81b1cfa054373dae.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, shain said:

The purslane was growing wild between the basil and eggplant plants. 

There's a purslane carpet in my sunflowers.  I found a random internet post about pickled purslane.  I may give it a go.   Have you heard of such a use?

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

There's a purslane carpet in my sunflowers.  I found a random internet post about pickled purslane.  I may give it a go.   Have you heard of such a use?

Nope, but it sounds good. It has a natural acidity and firm texture that might work.

Do post if you try it :)

~ Shai N.