• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, shain said:

French toast, very custardy. Ricotta with vanilla, mullberries, maple.

PXL_20220514_105010868.thumb.jpeg.f992c3aab70161a3ab497bf01b69b542.jpeg

I have neither seen nor eaten a mulberry. I guess our climate (Pacific Northwest) does not encouragae them?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have neither seen nor eaten a mulberry. I guess our climate (Pacific Northwest) does not encouragae them?

I only knew them from the nursery rhyme "here we go round the mulberry bush"and then when  hiking here in Los Angeles I found trail adjacent trees in 2 locations. So I have only sampled them as a little treat. Kids raising silwors go loking for tem as the proper feed. The oes I tasted were in minimly watered areas so concentraed flvor. Nice.  PNW may be too cool/wet.

• Like 1

They weren’t, I don’t think, native to my part of the world when I was growing up, but my best friend lived across the street from an old barn that had one growing beside it. We’d “camp out” in the loft and just reach out and pluck mulberries to eat. As I recall, one could eat enough of them to send one back across the street I the wee hours in stomach distress.

Bing cherries will do the same thing, I recall from a trip across upstate PA and NY that entailed a stop at orchards…

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

55FD0231-01F5-43DF-9E4F-5EEDC6BDB58C.thumb.jpeg.699bd74e4b849d3e84410b34c77dad17.jpegFattoush salad left over from lunch yesterday. The pita was still crunchy. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

While silkworms prefer white mulberry leaves, that they only eat mulberry leaves is a myth.

I eat the silkworms! With chilli, of course!

I know almost nothing about mulberry leaves and even less about silkworms but I am quite positive I know that I am mighty glad I had already eaten my breakfast before I came across this! At first I thought — no it cannot be. Must be pasta of some sort. But then I had to acknowledge that it was @liuzhouwho posted it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Insects/bugs  = sustainable protein. I remember talking over the fence to a neighbr who was happy that his yoga studio was offr protein bars that were insect based. Nt sure how they caught on but many cultures have been on bard for a long lng time.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/23/mexico-insect-cuisine-sustainable-food  And unintentionally we eat them https://www.wyff4.com/article/gross-but-true-you-unknowingly-eat-bugs-every-day/9931927#

Edited by heidih (log)

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Insects/bugs  = sustainable protein. I remember talking over the fence to a neighbr who was happy that his yoga studio was offr protein bars that were insect based. Nt sure how they caught on but many cultures have been on bard for a long lng time.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/23/mexico-insect-cuisine-sustainable-food  And unintentionally we eat them https://www.wyff4.com/article/gross-but-true-you-unknowingly-eat-bugs-every-day/9931927#

I enjoy insect based food.  It's called honey.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, shain said:

Kimchi grilled cheese.

🥬🧀❤️

This sounds excellent and I wish someone would make me one right now!

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Fattoush salad left over from lunch yesterday. The pita was still crunchy. 

This both sounds and looks excellent with extra points for savory leftovers for breakfast - one of my favorite things!

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Eggs Benedict this morning.    No pics.    At 6am, I'm lucky to get the EB on the table much less snag a shot of it.

Benny on the plate at 6AM?  Major kudos.  Except that I really like to celebrate a benny with sparkles and 6 is a touch early, even for me!

WRT eating silkworms, I recall being served bowls like @liuzhou's breakfast photo while traveling in China.  I was feeling a bit queasy from a long bus ride and let's just say they didn't do anything to settle my stomach!  

• Like 1

054DD00A-37D5-4566-84B9-C964AFF16C18.thumb.jpeg.62abecc9461155bdc2b3504feae7759b.jpeg

Pizza (not the one that ended up on the neighbour’s lawn as documented in the “I will never again” topic). It may have spent a little too long in the oven being reheated. It was very good nevertheless. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I agree with @Dave R, pizza looks great and I love the colour on your crust.  My favourite part of the pizza.

1125094329_HisandHersbreakfastMay24th2022.thumb.jpg.a0aff2f888d7e18010c03ebf97e878f0.jpg

His and Her Breakfasts.
169523138_ThinlyslicedroastbeefandtoastedbaguetteMay24th2022.thumb.jpg.9f10e046c8012dec5089806cda48d903.jpg
Moe wanted the leftover roast beef sliced thin and served with toasted baguette. He likes his baguette in slices.
657317099_ToastedBaguettewithtomatoesMay24th2022.thumb.jpg.cd8983dc2c454b2c67a3958b0abcd783.jpg
I wanted toasted baguette and tomatoes, and I like my baguette sliced lengthwise.
2011246448_ThinlyslicedroastbeefMay24th2022.thumb.jpg.360f9712160dddb2cedff6943cbe7204.jpg
I pulled out the Italian meat slicer for the beef. Hadn't used it in a while. Forgot how heavy it is
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

56 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Moe wanted the leftover roast beef sliced thin and served with toasted baguette

Amazing bread. Amazing beef.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast today so I mashed up @Margaret Pilgrim's eggs Benedict with @shain's kimchi grilled cheese.

591CED7D-59D4-4A06-885D-FF087C4A7DA9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.94a95465c4e0e822d615027a85eefd13.jpeg

Made a kimchi toastie with a toasted English muffin, country ham biscuit slice, chopped kimchi and cheddar cheese that went into the CSO to get all melty then topped that with a fried egg. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Made a kimchi toastie with a toasted English muffin, country ham biscuit slice, chopped kimchi and cheddar cheese that went into the CSO to get all melty then topped that with a fried egg.

Brilliant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

RE: The egg refrigeration.  Eh - different cultures do things differently.  I’ve seen dead fish lying out in the sun for hours in some countries.  In the US and many other countries, a traditional birthday celebration must include cake – other countries have other traditions. 

And the minute I start feeling guilty for not being willing to eat bugs and worms and unusual animal parts, I remember that I need to leave something for the animal food and I don’t feel bad. 

@MaryIsobel – I love granola and that version sounds really good.

Jessica and I went up to the DC area on Friday to make some family visits and to tour the Mormon Temple which, due to some construction work, is currently unconsecrated and open for tours to the general public.  On Saturday morning we stopped for breakfast near our hotel at Tyson’s Bagel Market:

1-IMG_3844.jpg.78f967ab4ebee89f57707f8f198e6e5b.jpg

I had a pumpernickel bagel with some really excellent smoked salmon cream cheese:

IMG_9403.jpg.8690f3106c43bccd2a16c5234edcb163.jpg

This is the bagel I grew up eating at Terlitzky’s delicatessen in Alexandria.  And it was every bit as good.  Jessica had an ET with scallion cream cheese:

IMG_9404.jpg.6b34fcfe876d99e08fa5b4b93ed7b2a5.jpg 

The place is Korean-run and Jessica is anxious to go back to try their bulgogi burrito, bibimbap, and kimchi! 

Mr. Kim was in Ayden, NC at a BBQ event and they gave all the judges two huge sweet rolls from Gwendy’s Goodies – one was just an iced cinnamon rolls and the other was a pecan roll.  Breakfast for me this morning was one quarter of the cinnamon rolls (not a huge fan of nuts in baked goods) and some bacon:

IMG_9441.thumb.jpg.f88078b3aa2f3afb2b713070c00d4ba1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, kayb said:

They weren’t, I don’t think, native to my part of the world when I was growing up, but my best friend lived across the street from an old barn that had one growing beside it. We’d “camp out” in the loft and just reach out and pluck mulberries to eat. As I recall, one could eat enough of them to send one back across the street I the wee hours in stomach distress.

Bing cherries will do the same thing, I recall from a trip across upstate PA and NY that entailed a stop at orchards…

Before we moved to Colorado when I was in first grade, the school I went to had a mulberry tree on the edge of the playground.  That's where I had my first ones.  So very good.  I'm sure the teacher wondered why I came back from recess with purple all over me lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

EBA6892E-5CE8-496D-9808-95B50645CA88.thumb.jpeg.ea06748069b5e828f985b1ffd54ced9a.jpeg

Still enjoying my asparagus. It has kept quite well in the fridge  in a little water (changed daily) and covered with a plastic bag. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog