• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Kind of a snacky breakfast today.  Fresh veg and tater tots with Kim Chee Dip from Sheldon Simeon's Cook Real Hawai'i.  I skipped the fried garlic topping on the dip but will have to give it a try. 

6B8B4EF6-D9EB-4075-90D6-A75BB304474F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2095c82b779e048b02c54cb1a4a0da8f.jpeg

He recommends serving this dip with Cool Ranch Doritos or any "-itos."  No chips in the house so I made the tots extra crispy!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kind of a snacky breakfast today.

Looks amazing and sounds equally so. I  especially admire the variety of textures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

B2C0A3AF-FA15-4CD7-A90B-BFD74EFA4AB7.thumb.jpeg.670d35d0bfcd535d4b4405e5907806b2.jpeg

Garlicky, creamy mushrooms on toasted English muffin. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@gfweb - I would eat arancini any time of the day or night!

This morning was slider buns with sausage patties:

IMG_9384.jpg.3d64b0b10f6685c2ccc9f60af7123b2e.jpg

Jessica and I are headed up to Northern VA tomorrow for a couple of days and Mr. Kim is going to NC for a BBQ judging event Saturday.  So, while supplies are getting low I don't really want to shop before we go out of town.  Not a bad breakfast.  Not a clue what Mr. Kim and Jessica ate!  

• Like 6

D0AB1841-045D-461D-AD16-EA74DD8C977C.thumb.jpeg.906ea87a3affa8f8c96f0b2667d916cd.jpeg

An old friend – – egg and tomatoes Chinese style. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Anna N said:

B2C0A3AF-FA15-4CD7-A90B-BFD74EFA4AB7.thumb.jpeg.670d35d0bfcd535d4b4405e5907806b2.jpeg

Garlicky, creamy mushrooms on toasted English muffin. 

I had never had creamed mushrooms on toast until I was in Ireland in 2018. It was a revelation to me and has become one of my "I don't really feel like cooking" go-tos. I usually make it on sourdough toast. Now I'm suddenly craving it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I had never had creamed mushrooms on toast until I was in Ireland in 2018. It was a revelation to me and has become one of my "I don't really feel like cooking" go-tos. I usually make it on sourdough toast. Now I'm suddenly craving it.

I was introduced to them via a Diana Henry recipe in her book, Simple.  And I've also been craving them since seeing @Anna N's post.  I may have to go to the store just for mushrooms!

A friend brought me some nice bitter greens from her garden:

A270524F-137C-4134-97E6-57EDE98C47DF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.51c973448d3b6e8fe1fa05a0ce6d20e6.jpeg

I sautéed some with garlic, piled them on a hash brown and topped them with a poached egg:

B690D155-56EE-45C7-BFA4-8C3BA6B3CED8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.07f57366c9c46d045d2530d14532cafa.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was introduced to them via a Diana Henry recipe in her book, Simple.  And I've also been craving them since seeing @Anna N's post.  I may have to go to the store just for mushrooms!

A friend brought me some nice bitter greens from her garden:

A270524F-137C-4134-97E6-57EDE98C47DF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.51c973448d3b6e8fe1fa05a0ce6d20e6.jpeg

I sautéed some with garlic, piled them on a hash brown and topped them with a poached egg:

B690D155-56EE-45C7-BFA4-8C3BA6B3CED8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.07f57366c9c46d045d2530d14532cafa.jpeg

Gorgeous egg, perfectly cooked.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

doing an egg to desired perfection is actually duck soup easy.

(1)   keep the eggs in the same place in the fridge.  keep them in the fridge until ready to drop into already boiling water.

(2)  put the egg(s) into already boiling water for m:s minutes/seconds.  timing is a trial/error/experiment data point.

in this method, the only uncontrolled variable is the boiling point of water as varied by atmospheric pressure.

if one researches the difference in water boiling point by the extremes of high/low atmospheric pressure, one learns it's a non-issue.

if one researches the congealing temperature of egg white and egg yolk, one will rapidly learn stuff like sour vide - i.e. bring the whole egg to one temperature -  simply cannot work - and doesn't.  the white or the yolk is going to be over/under cooked - not matter what saturation temp is used.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

doing an egg to desired perfection is actually duck soup easy.

With the freshest of eggs, this is quite true. Today's egg was from last week's farmers market so already in my fridge for a week.  Likely still fresher than what's on many supermarket shelves, but not the best for poaching as the thinned whites don't form up as nicely as when fresh.  In this case, I rely on Julia Child's recommendation to lower the whole eggs in their shell into the boiling water for 10 sec before cracking them into the water.  I poke a hole in each shell with a pin but I can't remember if Julia did that or it was my own concern about equalizing pressure. 

11 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

if one researches the congealing temperature of egg white and egg yolk, one will rapidly learn stuff like sour vide - i.e. bring the whole egg to one temperature -  simply cannot work - and doesn't.  the white or the yolk is going to be over/under cooked - not matter what saturation temp is used.

Absolutely true.  Boiling and poaching are the route to nicely cooked whites with runny yolks.  Just  master the timing for your fridge temp, egg size and personal yolk doneness and your reward will be great!

20 minutes ago, Captain said:

You keep your eggs in the Fridge!?? WT?

as often mentioned here American (US) eggs are scrubbed and have lost their protective coating - so  yes = fridge

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-europeans-dont-refrigerate-their-eggs-2018-4#:~:text=American farms wash eggs to,farms vaccinate chickens against salmonella.

Edited by heidih (log)

On 5/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Captain said:

You keep your eggs in the Fridge!?? WT?

American habit. They have this mad idea of washing off the natural protective coating (that eggs come with) before selling them. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not breakfast today, but for next weekend when we'll have out of province guests for the weekend. Loosely based on Ina's granola. Less oil and lower oven temp (300 as opposed to 350.) Baked rolled oats, sliced almonds and coconut. Toasted pepitas and cranberries, raisins and dried apricots will join the party once the granola is cooled.

IMG_7246.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel
to add photo (log)
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, shain said:

French toast, very custardy. Ricotta with vanilla, mullberries, maple.

PXL_20220514_105010868.thumb.jpeg.f992c3aab70161a3ab497bf01b69b542.jpeg

Drooling.  That looks so good.

Our mulberry trees look to maybe have a good year.  Fingers crossed we will have some in a month.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shain said:

🤞

Our season is nearly ended.

I forget.  Can you buy them in markets over there?  Here I've never seen them sold but I don't get out much.  We have to compete with raccoons and bugs lol.

Just now, Shelby said:

I forget.  Can you buy them in markets over there?  Here I've never seen them sold but I don't get out much.  We have to compete with raccoons and bugs lol.

Not really. Can order at direct-from-farmers websites at ~13-14 USD a pound, but never had.

We have to compete with the ants, the porcupines, and birds. But there's usually enough still.

Hope you'll have plenty this year. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

37 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Not breakfast today, but for next weekend when we'll have out of province guests for the weekend. Loosely based on Ina's granola. Less oil and lower oven temp (300 as opposed to 350.) Baked rolled oats, sliced almonds and coconut. Toasted pepitas and cranberries, raisins and dried apricots will join the party once the granola is cooled.

IMG_7246.jpg

Now I'm perplexed. The oats/coconut/almond mixture is nicely toasted. I made sure to get fresh dried fruit (ie. not use the stuff I have had in the cupbaord since pre-covid.) Since the fruit is quite moist, I'm sure that if I mix it in with the rolled oats and coconut and nuts, it will make them soft. I'm fine to store them separately for a week til our guest are here, but how should I store the dried fruit? Loosely covered at room temp?

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

how should I store the dried fruit? Loosely covered at room temp?

Should work. Fridge for longer storage, or if you have the space. 

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.