• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

14 hours ago, heidih said:

Those watermelon radishes are stunning, Perfect breakfast for this bleepin heat we are getting.

I love 'em and plant them every year. So pretty in a salad or anything else.

...oh, and they taste good as well. Let's not forget that. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, heidih said:

Those watermelon radishes are stunning, Perfect breakfast for this bleepin heat we are getting.

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

I love 'em and plant them every year. So pretty in a salad or anything else.

...oh, and they taste good as well. Let's not forget that. :)

They do look pretty. If they'll grow as far north as chromedome's location, maybe I can find them at our farmers' markets in Duluth this summer. I'll look around.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Eric's Kimchi Fried Rice with Egg Yolk from Korean American

4E68F875-5E04-4138-8341-5715B560023C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.afe39427038cb0446fc4665b1c609743.jpeg

In this recipe, the kimchi fried rice is patted out in the pan for the last few minutes of cooking so there's a nice layer of crispy rice and browned kimchi bits that gets mixed in the bowl with the raw egg yolk and roasted seaweed. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm going to have to seek out those watermelon radishes at the farmer's market.  The only ones I ever had were from Kroger and they were tasteless.

Last week's episode of Good Food had a little piece on radishes, Going beyond butter and salt with radishes at the market that mentioned "honeydew radishes," a type of daikon. The green and white look pretty but not as dramatic as the watermelon ones! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Last week's episode of Good Food had a little piece on radishes, Going beyond butter and salt with radishes at the market that mentioned "honeydew radishes," a type of daikon. The green and white look pretty but not as dramatic as the watermelon ones! 

Do they taste similar to Jan average radish? I’d never had any other type but those are gorgeous! 

58 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Do they taste similar to Jan average radish? I’d never had any other type but those are gorgeous! 

The watermelon radishes have some of the spicy, peppery flavor you get in regular radishes but are a little milder and a tiny bit sweeter.   I've heard that they get milder the longer they stay in the ground.  I don't know if that means bigger ones are automatically milder than smaller ones or not but I have found the level of spiciness to vary in all radishes, including these.  They also vary in the amount of pink color.  I cut up 2 radishes, about the same size, that I bought from the same stand at the farmers market on the same day and you can see from my photo that they are quite different in color.  The bright ones are certainly more eye-catching but I haven't figured any way to tell from the outside whether they will be bright pink or not!

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin I forgot to ask about the greens - used? similar to other radishes? I used to grow ordinary red ones just for the greens - so densely seeded.  This erratic weather though! 

Yes, they are similar but usually larger and tougher with thick stems.  See this image from Speciality Produce.

Sometimes they look kinda ratty.  Makes sense as the growing season is longer:  often ~ 22 days for the little red radishes vs 65 + days for watermelon radishes.  More time for bugs, wind or hot weather to damage the leaves.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin I forgot to ask about the greens - used? similar to other radishes? I used to grow ordinary red ones just for the greens - so densely seeded.  This erratic weather though! 

I eat the greens of my radishes, and in fact I plant radishes at the beginning of the season because they're my second-earliest "cooking greens" (after dandelions). With bog-standard radishes I just separate them and wash them when I harvest the radishes, but with longer-season radishes (or turnips) I harvest them ongoingly on a cut-and-come-again basis.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

According to author Eric Kim, omrice is a fried rice dish topped with an omelet that gets zigzagged with ketchup and is a staple at Korean bunsik restaurants.  This version, called Tomato-y Omelet Rice appears in his book Korean American.

82CA013A-AF51-451E-B5AD-E337E802F4D0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f9823d9f6451decb3ec764bde4c9bbf3.jpeg

A fine use of leftover rice.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

12 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Is that some kind of herby savory waffle?

Definitely savory. The recipe just calls for spinach but I'm sure herbs could be added.  I subbed a mix of baby kale, chard & spinach.  Other ingredients are scallions, a chile pepper, buckwheat flour, spelt flour, poppy seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, baking powder, buttermilk, soft goat cheese, Lancashire cheese (I used Cheddar) and an egg.

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin, I love all of your breakfasts.   

One of Moe's breakfast earlier this week. 
107219848_BeansforBreakfastApril11th2022.thumb.jpg.f77930a72d6d884ebf575b0c42c8ab8f.jpg

I baked a bone in ham the other day and made Moe a pot of beans with the ham bone.
He has had the same thing for breakfast two days in a row and isn't tired of them yet.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@blue_dolphin, I love all of your breakfasts.   

One of Moe's breakfast earlier this week. 
107219848_BeansforBreakfastApril11th2022.thumb.jpg.f77930a72d6d884ebf575b0c42c8ab8f.jpg

I baked a bone in ham the other day and made Moe a pot of beans with the ham bone.
He has had the same thing for breakfast two days in a row and isn't tired of them yet.

Your bread looks divine every time you post a picture of your bread.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Definitely savory. The recipe just calls for spinach but I'm sure herbs could be added.  I subbed a mix of baby kale, chard & spinach.  Other ingredients are scallions, a chile pepper, buckwheat flour, spelt flour, poppy seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, baking powder, buttermilk, soft goat cheese, Lancashire cheese (I used Cheddar) and an egg.

That looks fantastic!

I'm really going to have to up my waffle game.

Dave

• Thanks 1

@Ann_T- gorgeous beans.  They look so perfect - fully formed and tender at the same time.

Today:

IMG_8864.thumb.jpg.751f98db95717c2c2034ee1a05a53cd6.jpg

English muffin, fried egg, and Jimmy Dean sausage. When I took my first bite, my plate was immediately covered with warm, liquid, soppable yolk!  Heaven. 

I saw a taste test on America’s Test Kitchen recently where they were comparing supermarket breakfast sausage and the Jimmy Dean fully cooked won.  Jimmy Dean uncooked sage sausage is my favorite, so I gave the fully cooked ones a try and liked them quite a lot.  They aren’t quite as good as the sage, I think, but I like being able to cook just one or two patties quickly without a lot of mess.  And as a bonus, they taste really good. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

44 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

How could he ? I would enjoy your bread & ham with those beans for weeks

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Your bread looks divine every time you post a picture of your bread.

Thanks BooBear.

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T- gorgeous beans.  They look so perfect - fully formed and tender at the same time.

Thanks Kim.  They were good.  Moe loves beans, I should cook them for him more often. 

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

How could he ? I would enjoy your bread & ham with those beans for weeks

Thanks @Duvel

1819980906_PancakeswithmixedberriesandmaplesyrupApril13th2022.thumb.jpg.9ee525664ecbacc3709abc7dc11d1004.jpg

I made him pancakes again today. 

222208841_PancakeswithmixedberriesandmaplesyrupApril13th20221.thumb.jpg.3fe3cc8e6eb9953f1e4cf6ffe4003103.jpg

This time topped with mixed berries simmered in maple syrup.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

I made an egg sandwich with one of yesterday's seeded spinach waffles...

116DAEF6-CA88-4598-9DAD-8B840C98A70B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c8083baeed5f4ad61a31c8cb626846da.jpeg

Then took a bad picture of it 🙃

The waffles reheat nicely from frozen in the CSO.  Would have been nice with a country ham biscuit slice but I gave up meat for Lent and the waffles are quite cheesy it was good.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I made an egg sandwich with one of yesterday's seeded spinach waffles...

116DAEF6-CA88-4598-9DAD-8B840C98A70B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c8083baeed5f4ad61a31c8cb626846da.jpeg

Then took a bad picture of it 🙃

The waffles reheat nicely from frozen in the CSO.  Would have been nice with a country ham biscuit slice but I gave up meat for Lent and the waffles are quite cheesy it was good.  

How do you get your eggs to do that?