• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Overnight oats. I eat this every day. The only things that change are the fruits and times.

MsVsQIw.jpg

tBS83KD.jpg

Avocados and milk

YQDejow.jpg

In Oaxaca they "whisk" the chocolate until frothy. The tool is called "molinillo". (Rub vigorously between hands, pour into cups as soon as froth forms).

KlsDL0J.jpg

Candied blood orange slices

iVtyAV9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

desk breakfast - rice cakes, homemade hummous, salsa. Everyone laughs at rice cakes, but the ones from Lundberg actually have flavor and don't crumble like crazy.

ricecakes.jpg

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

desk breakfast - rice cakes, homemade hummous, salsa. Everyone laughs at rice cakes, but the ones from Lundberg actually have flavor and don't crumble like crazy.

ricecakes.jpg

The  US has rice cake = diet food embedment issue. My favorite Korean market makes them out front or in parkig lot sometimes. Always on shelf inside with crunchy stuff. Here is a fancy machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIii7o_X4E

Edited by heidih (log)

@weinoo – I forgot to say that your pancakes have the three of us craving them now.  And a happy belated birthday to SE!

@Ann_T – your bread toasted and buttered with sliced tomatoes on top strikes me as the absolute pinnacle of breakfasts. 

@blue_dolphin – that is a gorgeous piece of grouper! 

This morning:

IMG_8756.jpg.3f8482f4d8dd1cabf1047f38bd602d1a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Dutch baby with leftover gochujang salmon from Everyday Korean.  This is one of several variations this book has for a one-egg, single-serving Dutch baby baked in a little 6-inch cast iron skillet.

469C4109-A03D-4B35-A7FD-7B8AE05E1590_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d8e54f0ff59946e237da6ae40a3be908.jpeg

The photos in the book look like this, with the salmon piled after baking but the instructions say to add the salmon to the batter before pouring it into the pan.  Apparently, I'm more of a visual than literal recipe-follower 🙃

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

@blue_dolphin, is that small bread, or are those immense radishes?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@blue_dolphin - your Dutch baby is gorgeous!

@Ann_T – I always love seeing any of your bread offerings, but I’m especially craving your biscuits today.

Saturday:

IMG_8768.jpg.759a6faa85d2df2d3cb31c09819a1507.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese and Benton’s bacon, grapes, and some weird strawberries that were supposed to taste like a pineapple-strawberry mix but didn’t. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T, those biscuits are killing me - I'd love to try one!

@Kim Shook, I swear those berries are an excuse to charge a premium price for under-ripe berries 🙃

Gyeranbap with roasted seaweed and capers from Korean American.  This is an egg fried in toasted sesame oil and soy sauce served over rice with roasted seaweed and capers. Tasty and quick. 

5FCBF825-AF8D-4FE7-BDD7-EE643B4F6331_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6e1182e6c815558cfff554890c913ad7.jpeg

• Like 7

@blue_dolphin - I agree.  I suspected as much from what I'd heard about them, but Jessica was keen to try them.  Never again.

This morning was just a buttered bagel:

IMG_8810.jpg.2682f35879abcd3a0a5926f4bbe62451.jpg

I tend to get sleepy after breakfast and I have a LOT to do today.  April is becoming an overwhelming month for me, so I need every "edge" I can manage!  😉

• Like 5