• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This morning:

IMG_8269.jpg.31d83ed56c9f968fee5d1ba1fe939828.jpg

Sausage, egg, and cheese on an ET bagel.

While undoubtedly a nice, tasty sandwich, what's with that bagel? Looks like some weird unboiled croissant-y dough.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

yes .  it's all I get these days

and I wish Id tried them earlier.  

( Ive grown my own for years )

I try to get the ' baskets ' that are red-et , as they

have been on the wine longer .

knowing will well commercial tomatoes are grown for color.

and they do age a bit in the brown paper bag w and apple or two.

and hey taste like a tomato .  not impressive aroma, etc

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

While undoubtedly a nice, tasty sandwich, what's with that bagel? Looks like some weird unboiled croissant-y dough.

They are called Baguette Bagels and are made by ACE bakery.  They can be a little pale sometimes, but the flavor and texture are great and I can get them at Kroger rather than having to get to the bagel place before they close.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

are these ' local ? '

I went to the website and the section on the top R : store locator was not working

as far as I can tell 

they look interesting .

They aren't local.  The company is Canadian and if you go to their website, they list a lot of stores that I think are Canadian.  But they also list Whole Foods.  I know Kroger has them and supposedly Publix does, too (neither of which is in your area, I know).  

This morning:

IMG_8272.jpg.63e05c302701e879dd99bb9d85588c58.jpg

Summer sausage, English muffin, and a mandarin orange.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

GDL/Guadalajara airport whilst waiting for a connecting flight to La Paz, Baja Sur. Travelling companion's breakfast. Scrambled eggs with onions and tomatoes.

NlDkf9a.jpg

It was a very long day and I did not get an opportunity to eat anything. (Got up at 5am to catch 2 internal flights, 3,5hr bus journey, 1 hour taxi ride to reach Bahia Magdalena. Everyone is saying "you sure love Mexico").

How you know you are in Baja Sur. (Also refer to this map for my whale watching locations )

VMWRhZh.jpg

Big cactuses all along the bus route from La Paz to the border of south-north Baja peninsular.

cXJO8eg.jpg

Last chocolate in Oaxaca

Qjx77AT.jpg

Whoa. Baja (Sur) feels like a different country having arrived from Oaxaca where cheese or chocolate is in almost everything. In Baja Sur, seafood anything is king and everyone is chill. Meanwhile Oaxaca is frenetic, colourful and too much of a sensory overload. I love both places.

d3crsT2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

Kim Shook 

nice  consider keeping the Campari tomats

in a brown paper bag w a few apples in the,

then take them out as you need them

they do improve a bit.

Brands seem to matter.  I don't buy if they're not Sunset.  Whole Foods usually has Sunset Campari in stock.  Stock, as in in the store to sell.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Breakfast in México requires us to put aside all our assumptions about what breakfast is supposed to be (although that's also the case in many other parts of the world). Since we've lived in Pátzcuaro, which in many ways is more traditional than coastal tourist areas, I've learned that tamales are a damned good breakfast--no eggs required. Our neighbor makes wonderful tamales on Saturdays and we often buy them for Sunday breakfast. Mamey, which BonVivant discovered on his trip to Oaxaca, makes a tasty smoothie with yogurt and a dribble of vanilla. That's a favorite at our house. Enchilada Suiza with chicken is common, though the sauce may either be made with tomatillos or tomato. I've even seen beef tips on a breakfast menu, though that's a bit heavy for me. Chilequiles are ubiquitous, with egg or chicken.

Our customary breakfast is a big bowl of fruit--papaya, mango (in season), pineapple, melon, various berries (all are grown nearby)--with homemade yogurt, a dash of chia seeds and my granola. My spouse, who has a bigger appetite, usually has toast, often with avocado.

The availability of fruit is amazing. Not all of it is in season, of course. Papaya and pineapple are almost always available, and the berry producers usually have something fresh--strawberries, mostly--though they also grow blueberries, raspberries and blackberries in their seasons. I remember walking through the mercado once when apparently the cantaloupe harvest had come in, because every other stand had a big pile--and the aroma was incredible. That day you couldn't buy a bad melon. The best come from Torreon, about a day's drive from the border.

I do love to see the photos of beautifully-poached eggs drooling over a stack of something delicious. Having finally figured out how to successfully poach eggs, perhaps I can replicate that photo myself. Vamos a ver.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

A couple of posts back, I made Julia Turshen's Kimchi + Avocado Toast from her book, Small Victories, on a hash brown. 

Today, I put the same stuff on one of TJ's Taiwanese green onion pancakes

1280024314_kimchiscallionegg.thumb.jpg.96b3524faa6e88519eab45f0057fad59.jpg

If I'd left the egg off, I could have folded it over and picked it up but the egg makes it so good and worth the knife and fork!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Made the Star Anise Orange Marmalade from Dishoom yesterday and had some on toast for breakfast.  Bordier's yuzu butter on the toast to continue the citrus theme.

2136102854_Staranisemarmalade.thumb.jpg.14f6bc471b38cd323f0c8735e16fb673.jpg

I confess to some inattention while this was cooking down but managed to rescue the pot before we reached the stage of candied orange peel!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Made the Star Anise Orange Marmalade from Dishoom yesterday and had some on toast for breakfast.  Bordier's yuzu butter on the toast to continue the citrus theme.

I confess to some inattention while this was cooking down but managed to rescue the pot before we reached the stage of candied orange peel!

I've done that and I kind of like the carmelized? note.  Need to replenish my star anise.

• Like 2

"Huevos al gusto"/eggs to your liking is what you see most often on a breakfast menu. I have tried them all but "a la Mexicana" is still best, cuz tomatoes. Mexican cuisine is heavy on the onion so get use to it if you are not the one doing the cooking.GKWJMyv.jpg

adHBvKs.jpg

A fantastic (bilingual) book I read every day in Oaxaca. Hotel staff told me it's not for sale anywhere (I couldn't find any ISBN number so I had to ask about the book). It is from Oaxacan tourism department and was given to hotels. The sole purpose of its existence is to promote Oaxacan gastronomy. No recipes but it covers everything else in delicious details.

One of the many happy reunion. (The under side of the mouth has no barnacles.) Thank you, darling, for your trust.

A fossilised white shark's tooth I found (made it home with me, the X-ray did not see it!). Baja was under water in prehistoric times. I broke off the soil and sediments on one side with a rock. Everybody gasped when they saw the tooth. It's quite big, some I've seen are not so big.

Last sunrise at Laguna Ojo de Liebre. (Tha's my tent)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1