• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Enchiladas "Swiss-style" (filled with cheese, drenched in a red sauce, topped with crumbly Oaxacan cheese and cream).

T3bkcgV.jpg

I thought the black stuff was beans but apparently it's not. Grainy like a thick mole paste or chocolate.

0iXiGDG.jpg

Part of a Oaxacan meal (or snack, or whenever one fancies, really): hot chocolate.

62YLvgM.jpg

Speaking of chocolate, I went to another producer and checked out theirs after this breakfast. The menus:

0fveXSV.jpg

HdEell6.jpg

auUSfC1.jpg

HwYTDl2.jpg

It's grainy and the last bits are always thick as mud. I rinse out the bowls twice with my own water.

UQJBsdr.jpg

Tools for crushing the beans

bV6tgbJ.jpg

Modern processing machines. At all the chocolate shops in town you see how it's done, around the clock.

rFviBFZ.jpg

4kS86p0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T – your duck looks delicious.  I need to start cooking duck at home.  I don’t generally order it in restaurants because I’m embarrassed (yes, 62 years old and still not brave in the face of culinary scorn – except when it comes to spicy heat) to ask if I can get it cooked to medium or even just over medium.  I cannot bear undercooked (to me) poultry.  It gets in my mouth and it’s like I’m trying to chew a wad of wet paper towels.  If I make it at home, I can cook it to the temperature I like – not the temperature that someone thinks I should eat it at. 

Tuesday:

IMG_8185.jpg.486435b89ca31750892363b2e704f996.jpg

Today:

IMG_8204.jpg.22c6c3fa0d7f3bccb454c0e626cd9d44.jpg 

I need to either start buying my rye bread at a bakery or making it myself.  The commercial loaves are sliced so thin that by the time a slice gets toasted properly, it’s as crisp and Melba toast.  Still tastes good, though. 😊

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Put on my new pink apron this morning and made the Savory Strawberry Biscuits from David Kinch's At Home in the Kitchen. 

Let's pause for a moment to admire the berries before they got mixed into the dough:

1458944768_Strawberrybiscuitdough.thumb.jpg.142f2f5c864672ab5fbd4bd85ccd043f.jpg

The recipe says to roll the dough out 1.5" thick and cut 2-inch squares, of which the recipe was to yield 9-12.  At 1.5" thick, my dough square was ~ 5 inches on each side.  So I flattened, trimmed and came up with a few correct 2-inch squares, a few random rectangles and a couple of piles of trimmings that I didn't want to subject to further manhandling and mostly edited out of the photo below. 

945558125_unbakedstrawberrybiscuits.thumb.jpg.2b3cc978c9489e8ce96f0287f5c010ee.jpg

Here's the end result.  They are to be split and filled with a jam, a cheese and a meat. This one was blood orange marmalade, an aged Manchego-like cheese and prosciutto:

663659676_strawberrybiscuit.thumb.jpg.3316ce063a2dff6fcd5014b4ba41c185.jpg

Not sure this is the best way to feature stellar berries but tasty anyway. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Hot chocolate and atole blanco (corn massa drink).

TPrAebj.jpg

z6pzZ9g.jpg

Fruit monster in Oaxacan fruit paradise

oeMfWfa.jpg

At home you eat 'some fruit". In Oaxaca it comes in a massive bowl with all kinds of fruits.

UiZjTF3.jpg

zfWA2C2.jpg

6yFIFmN.jpg

I bought one. Very dense flesh, and sweet.

5RJMvMz.jpg

iwrWWYH.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, BonVivant said:

UiZjTF3.jpg

My goodness!  That is incredible.  I tried to eat some mango this morning that was so tasteless and dry that I tossed it.  And then I see this!  ❤️

This morning's breakfast was leftover baguette slices from dinner last night and regular bacon (that’s what we call bacon that isn’t Benton’s😁😞

IMG_8244.jpg.7d658d85c06321a45ef8efa3dadd2ad4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Odd breakfast, but it was the second one of the day. I got up at 5 am and had some coffee and toast, but then went back to bed! So this is more like brunch, perhaps.

1094350858__20220215202858.thumb.jpg.88b1aa28c3e72bfbac21855789634739.jpg

Prawns with egg and garlic scapes

1883074686__20220215202845.thumb.jpg.b30aeefdecd2c3bc40db81b379b0e375.jpg

Celtuce with garlic and ginger.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

breakfast these days :

IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.18886c2f6718b073a43fb1d49189f218.jpg

two scrambled eggs ( using a bit of olive oil in a FondLess pan )

ciabatta fresh rolls from TJ's , CSO'd

Campari tomatoes , TJ's, brown bag aged @ home w an apple

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Mamey is aromatic. The flesh and big seed remind me of avocado. I scooped out the flesh with a spoon just like when eating avocado.

Here's the one I bought and made it part of breakfast.

laLr2e4.jpg

Grated jicama in the middle. Took me some time to finish this giant bowl and the avocado milk(shake). I gave up buying papaya at home. Papaya in Mexico is perfectly ripe every time, and flavourful. Mangoes as well. Fruit paradise Mexico.

cGdCVhT.jpg

Grated jicama in the middle. Took me some time to finish this giant bowl and the avocado milk(shake). I gave up buying papaya at home. Papaya in Mexico is perfectly ripe every time, and flavourful. 

ulsgK1c.jpg

Hot chocolate again. They brought us sugar for the chocolate, just in case. We always order ours 100% cacao without sugar.

fFVQay3.jpg

Wood-carved hummingbird I bought on an excursion. It wants pure sugar water, though.

nkJjfl5.jpg

Mexicans love their chilli sauces and they are not only for savoury food. Yesterday I watched grown men and women eat tamarind paste on a stick. They dipped the tamarind in little individual plastic containers of chilli sauce. They ate all the sauce, too.

PLawyj0.jpg

ZqXXMPg.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Yes the tamarindo w/ chile dip is common here,Years ago when I took the kids to El Pueblo de Los Angeles they were perplexed by the pumpkin and chile sweets. Now Los Angeles considers it common. Thanks for the photos of the beautiful fruit.

IMG_6169.thumb.jpeg.945a8f92d6089f6d49018dd6c8b2e03b.jpeg

Crepes, confiture, cafe lungo. The confiture from a favorite place, and so delicious. I recently ordered way too much of the stuff, but when you see all the varieties, it's hard to stop...https://lachambreauxconfitures.com/en/

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, shain said:

Toast with ricotta and orange marmalade, cinnamon. 

PXL_20220214_170232297.jpg

That is some nice peel plentiful marmalade. Homemade? After a messed up groowing season I finally have some sour oranges with frgrant peel on several trees that are also laden wth blooms. Old guys that were slow to grow gotta go to give the youngsters priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

That is some nice peel plentiful marmalade. Homemade? After a messed up groowing season I finally have some sour oranges with frgrant peel on several trees that are also laden wth blooms. Old guys that were slow to grow gotta go to give the youngsters priority.

Home made indeed. Used Shamuti (Jaffa) oranges from our garden, they have a very neutral orange aroma, but the peel is thick, so it ends up plump. Also low on bitterness.

Makes for killer candied peels as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.