• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – I’m really loving the idea of putting breakfast inside those pancakes.  I just added a packet to my TJ’s list.

Thanks for the tip on them - only $2.49 for a packet of 5. I was thinking to make my own, but at that price, it’s hardly worth it. Depending on your personal preferences, I recommend letting them get nice and crispy on the outside. I’ve been cooking them in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet and skipping the small amount of oil. Only downside is they have to be cooked one at a time so not great for feeding a crowd. 
For yesterday’s breakfast, I cooked one, added a smear of tomato chili jam, a sprinkle of cheese and what my grandmother called a 'pancake egg'  then rolled it all up. 
For today's breakfast, I cooked another scallion pancake, cut it into wedges and made little open-face tuna salad bites. 

• Like 2

This morning:

IMG_8143.thumb.jpg.b2c924a9e9f5a61af54230829a5616d3.jpg

When I was a little girl, the cereal commercials always showed their cereal being served with a side of toast, which even then I thought odd.  If you had cereal, why did you need toast?  And vice versa.  I suspect it was required by their attorneys and says something sinister about the cereal.  But, it was what appealed to me today.  Besides we have Wheat Chex and I adore them😁.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

@Kim Shook, toast goes with everything!

Another TJ's Taiwanese scallion pancake idea from Double Awesome Chinese Food.  Pulled pork with cranberry:

1D9A15A5-BF4B-43A4-A8E8-9E0B8527089C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.aae65279135cfaa9e383df1b5f0d777e.jpeg

The book has a recipe for a cranberry sweet & sour sauce which I'll try one of these days but I already had a cranberry sauce flavored with orange, kaffir lime and cinnamon so I reduced some down to thicken it a bit. This combo of cranberry & scallion pancake would be really good with a smear of brie or other creamy, funky cheese.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Another TJ's Taiwanese scallion pancake idea from Double Awesome Chinese Food.  Pulled pork with cranberry:

The book has a recipe for a cranberry sweet & sour sauce which I'll try one of these days but I already had a cranberry sauce flavored with orange, kaffir lime and cinnamon so I reduced some down to thicken it a bit. This combo of cranberry & scallion pancake would be really good with a smear of brie or other creamy, funky cheese.  

Before they opened their restaurant Mei Mei, the sisters who wrote that cookbook had a food truck that used to come and park outside the building I worked in.  I would get the Double Awesome sandwich for lunch sometimes.  I am pretty sure the recipe is in that cookbook.  It would make a terrific breakfast.  You should try it if you have not already.  It really is delicious, but fair warning it is dangerous calorie wise.  There is a reason that I have lost 30 pounds since I stopped working!  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@Kim Shook, your toast and cereal breakfast is what my husband eats every day: several pieces of toast, then a large bowl of boxed cereal + added home made granola + banana slices and berries. The only time he doesn't eat cereal is when he makes pancakes. We are not typically variety eaters at breakfast, although now he is baking biscuits once a week. Otherwise, Have Bread Will Toast.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Before they opened their restaurant Mei Mei, the sisters who wrote that cookbook had a food truck that used to come and park outside the building I worked in.  I would get the Double Awesome sandwich for lunch sometimes.  I am pretty sure the recipe is in that cookbook.  It would make a terrific breakfast.  You should try it if you have not already.  It really is delicious, but fair warning it is dangerous calorie wise.  There is a reason that I have lost 30 pounds since I stopped working!  🤣

This one was totally inspired by the Double Awesome in the book except I used Little Green Dress instead of pesto, Parm instead of Cheddar and only one egg.  I will surely try the real thing one of these days!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

what section of TJ's has those pancakes ?

Fz ?  Refrigerated ?

I hope to remember to try to find them

next visit.

They are in the frozen case and were near the potstickers and other Asian foods. 
Here's the package:

BA69DE95-A97C-4737-B9B1-1A0DD4CFABCB.thumb.jpeg.99ac67f1ff2775ada77106ce3e690042.jpeg

I wish it were re-sealable but it’s easy enough to slide the open pack into a gallon ziplock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This one was totally inspired by the Double Awesome in the book except I used Little Green Dress instead of pesto, Parm instead of Cheddar and only one egg.  I will surely try the real thing one of these days!

Is it this.

Edited by Anna N
To try to fix link (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I wish it were re-sealable but it’s easy enough to slide the open pack into a gallon ziplock

You need a supply of these!

6EE34DA1-E26F-45A4-BB8F-4C68766DDA55.thumb.jpeg.87ea2a4f174847e333a4ed968214bef0.jpeg

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Is it this.

Very similar.  In the book, They use shredded sharp cheddar instead of sliced and use the greens to make a pesto with garlic, rice vinegar and oil.

Edited to add that I love that was from Yankee magazine - a blast from the past as it was a regular during my growing up years! 

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You need a supply of these!

6EE34DA1-E26F-45A4-BB8F-4C68766DDA55.thumb.jpeg.87ea2a4f174847e333a4ed968214bef0.jpeg

I do indeed have a bunch of Grip Stics at the ready - I think I bought them after seeing you or @Kerry Beal had snagged a bargain purchase of them on one of your ventures- I'm a big fan!

I will have to see if I can open this particular package in a different way because when I cut off the fused end, there's not enough bag left to make a fold that the stic can grip! 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

30F outside -> eggs Benedict

420772797_ScreenShot2022-02-03at7_01_31AM.thumb.png.612a7523c917a6bb1608c2e5e86d459d.png

My all time favorite breakfast.

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Kim Shook, your toast and cereal breakfast is what my husband eats every day: several pieces of toast, then a large bowl of boxed cereal + added home made granola + banana slices and berries. The only time he doesn't eat cereal is when he makes pancakes. We are not typically variety eaters at breakfast, although now he is baking biscuits once a week. Otherwise, Have Bread Will Toast.

That sounds delicious to me!  His cereal concoction sounds like the most perfect bedtime snack ever!

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Is it this.

At the food truck (and then later at their mostly takeaway restaurant a few blocks away) the eggs were soft poached and then deep fried to make the edges all lacy and the outside crispy while the yolk stayed runny.  The unfortunate side effect of this technique was that sometimes the whites remained a little underdone but I would just scrape away those parts and eat the rest.  Eating one of those sandwiches for lunch guaranteed a sleepy and decidedly unproductive afternoon at the office 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not in Tibet. (That was in March 2006)

ATXN3Ot.jpg

Tomato sauce, passata consistency. There's a tortilla underneath, which is completely soggy but it's probably supposed to be like that. First meal after 22 hours straight without sleep and 2 flights.

SS9skNr.jpg

With melted cheese on top. Sauce has clear taste of tamarind. Quite refreshing.

E8eh5fp.jpg

Filled with shredded chicken

TabDN2E.jpg

Inner courtyard at my hotel, also doubles as breakfast room.

HQZRwGH.jpg

Views from my room upstairs

4yQjegL.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Some Oaxacan dishes have no chance of winning a beauty contest.
"Coloradito" is just a liiiitle spicy.

VTiNbXf.jpg

Enfrijoladas contains black beans in the sauce/mole

rMKBaC7.jpg

Chocolate, chillies and cheese every day. I love my temporary Oaxacan life! 100% without sugar for myself, con leche for travelling companion. *Pan de casa* this time. Has the same lightness as *pan de yema* but more eggy taste and sweeter.

oY98XCa.jpg

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Moe loves scrambled egg and roast beef with gravy

Well that’s different. But why not? I like gravy on my salad when nobody’s looking. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog