• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

17 hours ago, heidih said:

@Annie_H so is the BBQ shrimp what I recall as shrimp swimming in spicy butter or grilled?

Pascale's Manale recipe. A mini version. I used the pan I seared the merguez.--into the oven to roast a bit. Garlic, shallot, white wine, small pat of butter. add shrimp, then worcestershire, lots of pepper spice mix. 

On grits or plattered for a summer seafood feast with fresh corn, new potatoes, etc. I make a more buttery sauce severed with crusty bread. Lots of lemon wedges.  

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't think there's a lot of mahi mahi in Sichuan, but well done! 🤣

I'm sure there isn't but I love that fish! Firm but juicy and holds together well during stir frying (after the initial shallow fry although it would probably hold together even if it wasn't prefried).

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm sure there isn't but I love that fish! Firm but juicy and holds together well during stir frying (after the initial shallow fry although it would probably hold together even if it wasn't prefried).

never met it, but happy to be believe you

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Denver steak salad. SV 131ºF for 3 hours-ish. Over caviar lentils/wild rice. Fresh salad/slaw. Beans and pasta I made for salad lunches but it was so good we had a bit on the side. 

Steak had good flavor but a bit chewy. I gave it a good cast iron sear after some chill time in the fridge with a dry rub. Half hour in the freezer and sliced thin maybe would have been better. 

Big fail was the Bok Choy. Whole Foods sent big giant ones. I ordered baby Bok Choy. 6 tiny ones for one meal. I always hit the 'do not substitute' but they did anyway. Six giant ones filled one grocery bag. Fortunately I was charged for the 6 tiny ones that makes no sense thinking they always weigh at check-out. I'm on my third try. First was halved, steamed and roasted. Last night was quartered, blanched, steamed and given the incinerator method. (bottom of the salad pic). Still needs a steak knife and not at all enjoyable. Like trying to eat raw leek tops. Thankfully I did not waste time and product to make kimchi. 

For the rest I'll just blanch and steam the shit out of it. 

IMG_3353.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 11.22.05 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Tuesday night was fixed up Mrs. Fearnow’s Brunswick stew (local company), saltines, and crudité:

1-IMG_9565.jpg.3ca2c07a2440e89c72359de139b58c7d.jpg 

1-IMG_9564.jpg.3fe151ef15953b02e975188b429f5f2c.jpg

Trying to eat what we’ve got and not shop since we’re going to FL on Friday. 

Last night (and most likely tonight):

1-IMG_9571.thumb.jpg.8ecdf956cfe27411e404e16fef257ecc.jpg 

Rotisserie chicken from Wegman’s, Ukrops’ (local prepared food distributor) Duchess potatoes, Cheddar roll, and green beans.  I realized walking around Wegman’s getting stuff for our trip and wondering what I could serve for dinner that wouldn’t be soup and a sandwich (too much like last night) and remembered that the last time I made turkey gravy I’d made extra.  Dinner flowed from that one little container of frozen gravy.  With the gravy:

1-IMG_9572.thumb.jpg.780479e5642fb64004e1a925a847fdc2.jpg 

Jessica made some requests for things that she wanted while we’ll be gone that apparently only I can make 😄.  Sausage gravy:

1-IMG_9570.jpg.5738b8443f89c1a27d0f10433936fcfe.jpg

1-IMG_9574.thumb.jpg.a940e79ca81438d40091f2b05f7ed1cf.jpg 

Fixed up Kraft Deluxe:

1-IMG_9576.jpg.984d76cff5e72efc5e7d9bd2565d4b68.jpg 

Egg salad:

1-IMG_9578.thumb.jpg.c1548dfa995e1df4e34863cddf2072e8.jpg 

Green beans:

1-IMG_9579.jpg.0f5a9d716dab189059327aa64edbf4eb.jpg 

I also made some BBQ slaw to take to our friends in Florida.  Mr. Kim is taking some of his BBQ and they are providing the rolls and broccoli salad:

1-IMG_9577.jpg.ced5a974571601f559b7ac13f9c6136d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

@Duvel 

no student myself of the Osso

but the ones Ive had

were ' taller '

thinking a bout it

w taller , but thinner bones.

I pulled up some google Rx's

all seem to be your shorter , wider  version theses days,

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

The veal shank I have always gotten in Los Angeles from butchers is cross cut so you end up with a round marrow filled bone ring in center of slice. Thus I actually thought @Duvel's was "tall"

• Like 2

Ok, I get that. They had veal shanks (whole) on offer and I had the butcher cut mine into four pieces. The piece pictured might be from the upper end (so larger diameter bone), and had some shrinkage on the meat. I think it was maybe 2.5” “high” (bone & meat before cooking). It had overall a smaller diameter than - let’s say - beef shanks …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Ok, I get that. They had veal shanks (whole) on offer and I had the butcher cut mine into four pieces. The piece pictured might be from the upper end (so larger diameter bone), and had some shrinkage on the meat. I think it was maybe 2.5” “high” (bone & meat before cooking). It had overall a smaller diameter than - let’s say - beef shanks …

It woud be rare here to see a whole one. I suppose one could ask 

19 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Big fail was the Bok Choy. Whole Foods sent big giant ones. I ordered baby Bok Choy. 6 tiny ones for one meal. I always hit the 'do not substitute' but they did anyway. Six giant ones filled one grocery bag. Fortunately I was charged for the 6 tiny ones that makes no sense thinking they always weigh at check-out. I'm on my third try. First was halved, steamed and roasted. Last night was quartered, blanched, steamed and given the incinerator method. (bottom of the salad pic). Still needs a steak knife and not at all enjoyable. Like trying to eat raw leek tops. Thankfully I did not waste time and product to make kimchi. 

For the rest I'll just blanch and steam the shit out of it. 

Sometimes my farm share gives me giant bok choy.  I separate the leaves from the stalks, chop both (after rinsing about 1000 times, that stuff is sandy!), then stir fry the stalks first and add the leaves towards the end.  It gets tender while still remaining some crunch, and my family finds it very enjoyable.  

18 hours ago, gfweb said:

@liamsaunt Thanks for the recipe.

Have you tried steaming it in the CSO?

I do not own a CSO, so nope!

Last night, lemon linguini over arugula with roasted broccolini, garlicky breadcrumbs, and a frico egg.

841355327_lemonlinguini2.thumb.jpg.4c142f6789a41490c1709a036693afda.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Just now, liamsaunt said:

I separate the leaves from the stalks, chop both (after rinsing about 1000 times, that stuff is sandy!), then stir fry the stalks first and add the leaves towards the end.  It gets tender while still remaining some crunch, and my family finds it very enjoyable.  

This is exactly what I do with the "baby bok choy"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Sometimes my farm share gives me giant bok choy.  I separate the leaves from the stalks, chop both (after rinsing about 1000 times, that stuff is sandy!), then stir fry the stalks first and add the leaves towards the end.  It gets tender while still remaining some crunch, and my family finds it very enjoyable.  

Thank you. I'll try that tonight. Chiffonade, lol. Blanched. 

A family favorite. Salmon cakes. 

IMG_3370.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.03.00 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Thank you. I'll try that tonight. Chiffonade, lol. Blanched. 

A family favorite. Salmon cakes. 

IMG_3370.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.03.00 AM.png

I have the exact same spatula.  One of my best Amazon purchases, and I think it was only about $10!

35 minutes ago, shain said:

Panang curry shakshuka.

Tomatoes, zucchini, eggs, coconut milk, ginger, coriander, gallic, lime leaves, peanuts.

Crisp warm bread.

PXL_20220610_120901188.thumb.jpg.1c69df08b9e0e3a162aba0ae2bb9ca15.jpg

What a great idea! And I have all the makings…

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

What a great idea! And I have all the makings…

Thanks. Next time I'm going to try a less tomatoey preparation. Maybe yellow or green curry, with peppers.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Gardening is in full swing now that temperatures are more spring like!  Quick and easy meals are on order:

Meat cut from chicken thighs stir-fried with Toban sauce and assortment of veg from the crisper and cans.

1130292732_TobanChickenVeg7489.jpg.4235dba9fda280073209e071157ab241.jpg

Sous vide pork loin roast. Meat juice in the bag made great gravy with liberal grinds of peppercorns! Leftover pork was great for salad at lunch.

1075883425_Sousvidepork7491.jpg.046347b93cd4cc32fa2155a30f7bb671.jpg

Thai Coconut Curry Lamb in the Ninja Foodie, with re-heated Naan from the freezer

136862686_ThaiCoconutLambCurry7500.jpg.0fc2c19ca4ef581cc78e3fea788e6deb.jpg

No built-in oven replacement until end of June. Rhubarb was so fresh and abundant right now, so I caved and bought a Ninja Air Fry Oven! It flips up against the backsplash when not in use, to clear work space,  but I have an under-the-counter light fixture, so I have to be very careful with flipping it up. Maybe once I finish playing with this new item!

1822957000_NinjasontheGO!7496.jpg.ab9b504a7504ff0398dadae996d2b2e4.jpg

The initiation was warming up the naan bread. It worked!

My main push to make this purchase was for rhubarb pie! The Air Bake worked!

787924163_NinjaRhubarbpie7503.jpg.407ed414e975516740b06c130c343450.jpg

1959997590_NinjaBite7512.jpg.d39ce9c5523fa211f94c23fdf07b5834.jpg

I also ordered a cookbook for this unit. No pictures, which I miss, but loads of recipes.  Last night, I tried Chicken Thighs with Radish Slaw. Turned out great and did not heat up the kitchen!
I didn't have green cabbage but I had Napa and red radishes. Seasoned with Kosher salt, pepper, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. The slaw was laid onto the pan after the chicken finished cooking, stirred up in the chicken juices, and roasted with the chicken on top. The chicken was seasoned with Smoked Paprika, oregano, garlic granules, and the skin was crispy and delicious! I thought the cooked slaw was strange but it turned out great - just a bit of tang.

1727859998_ChickenSlaw7532.jpg.94e20adbd257b26eb58e9fdfdece5153.jpg

So far, I am happy with the new purchase. Hubby said I can cancel the built-in oven now. 🤪

Chicken & Slaw 7533.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com