Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

@JoNorvelleWalker – Thanks for posting the link to the recipe.  I am definitely making that beef!  It looks so delicious that it mitigates the cooked carrots 😉!

 

@weinoo – nice roast potatoes.  I’m trying the same recipe tonight.  And that article IS long-winded!  But if mine come out as nice as yours, I won’t mind at all.

 

@Shelby – Good LORD!  So much good food!  I would be happy to sit down to any one of those meals.  And I truly covet those radishes and dare not let Mr. Kim see them after his radish-challenged garden last year.  I don’t know whether to be proud or apprehensive that he’s trying again this year 😁.  I’m madly in love with peonies and yours are gorgeous.  I give off some kind of bad plant vibe and the one beautiful, prolific one that was here when we moved in got more and more sparse and this year sent up one single blossom that lasted a couple of days and then all the petals dropped off 🙄

 

@Dejah – thank you!  And that Vinarterta sounds delicious!

 

We seem to be eating out or eating take out a lot lately.  Last night we were supposed to meet some friends for Vietnamese, but they had to cancel.  It was kind of last minute, so I didn’t have anything ready to cook.  We’ve all been craving fried chicken, so Mr. Kim did a Popeye’s run:

1-IMG_9488.jpg.1c7e50bd759ca78bc79704c389409885.jpg 

 

My plate with chicken, biscuit, slaw, mashed potatoes, and some fixed up Kraft:

1-IMG_9489.jpg.f7f2bda54ddea296ce01d3fae3be44d5.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2022 at 10:00 AM, weinoo said:

 

This is what I do with a strip, which I try to get about 1 1/2 inches thick.  We share it and still have leftovers, which are great on a salad or in fried rice.

 

 

We have a similar approach to Strip Loin steaks - one very large ideally or two smaller ones. Grilled the first night and then leftovers are often used to make fajitas the next day. I sauté the onions, peppers and garlic and then add the leftover meat slices in at the end, just to barely heat through. 

 

We've been starting dinner this week with simple salads. Our local farms are behind because it's been an unusually cool Spring, but we can get some greens and early veggies and we have greenhouse-assisted tomatoes and cukes. And Spring garlic right now! I used to wait until scapes were available but the inmature/green garlic is so good and makes a wonderful dressing. I was also going to make pesto with some tonight but strangely have no walnuts/pine nuts or similar in the pantry. Tomorrow! 

 

Shannon at the local Shamrock Farm gave me permission to share her Green Garlic Dressing, which we adore! In her words:

 

Green Garlic
It’s one of those crops we eagerly anticipate every spring. A vegetable you’ll seldom, if ever, find at a grocery store. Green garlic is in season.

Green garlic is young, uncured, not fully formed bulb garlic. The raw flavor is sweeter and less intense then regular bulb garlic. They’re similar to wild ramps but with a delicious sweet, garlicky flavour.

 

Green Garlic Salad Dressing 

3 stalks green garlic (white and green parts) chopped

1/2 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 

1 teaspoon mustard (I use The Mustard Lady’s honey garlic mustard)

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon lemon juice 

Salt and pepper to taste

 

*Blend until dressing is smooth and emulsified (like a smoothy). Refrigerate. 

Drizzle green garlic dressing on anything to add a sweet, intense garlic flavor. From salads to pasta, to bruschetta and roasted vegetables. Farmer Mike describes it as “a garlic smoothy”. It’s not a smoothy per say but it is the most amazing garlic dressing you will ever taste. Promise.

                                                                                                ***********************

 

Here's last night's super-simple salad, Green Garlic Dressing ready to pour. I used a regular Dijon mustard, The Mustard Lady is another local provider who sells at a storefront and at the farmers' market. 

 

PXL_20220527_235941815.thumb.jpg.70da7a7877528b4ca961aea3bafc08d2.jpg

 

PXL_20220528_002112371.thumb.jpg.1ac3777d4cae52b972be7295c9896fbf.jpg

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love green garlic. My first encounter was many years ago when I wandered into a tiny Mexican market and it was piled high, The kind of place where the scent from bins of various dried chilis intoxicates you. I used it in a fresh tomato based salsa for a holiday party and it became my signature salsa. Oh I miss the farmers market.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brussel Sprouts and Spaetzle Gratin - Cooked brussel sprouts and spaetzle are mixed with bechamel sauce (more heavily spiced with nutmeg) and grated Gouda. Baked in the oven and than topped with roasted onions and chives

20C8109B-23C5-4873-B842-261410E54F11.thumb.jpeg.f5aaaea5fda792ef5b77725d027e6e3d.jpeg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Captain said:

A delicious chicken Laksa.

IMG_20220527_192633.thumb.jpg.93a3e4ff7524ed13c5cc8ed4d8a2d198.jpg

One day I will be making this - I am sore missing a really good Katong Laksa...  Do you make yours from scratch or like a premade paste? Also, where are the laksa leaves?!? (j.k. - I know they're not easy to find!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Do you reduce the broth?

 

No, I don't reduce it. I just corrected the seasonings and sometimes I thicken it for gravy or for stew. I only put in enough water to cover the meat and periodically add more so that it is below the surface.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a nice roast dinner last night including Kenji’s roast potatoes that @weinoo made.  At this point, I was sure I’d overcooked the potatoes:

1-IMG_9495.jpg.69ba9c075b411c6a2bea1a58c228e694.jpg 

 

But I persevered and made the best roast potatoes I’ve ever made:

1-IMG_9498.jpg.3cf90b84635a795f45202d522a343717.jpg 

They are just slightly overdone, but were so good – actually crunchy! 

 

I SV’d the beef tenderloin:

1-IMG_9500.jpg.3cabb91e720bda19d3434be84d410cca.jpg 

 

Home made bread, horseradish sauce, and gravy:

1-IMG_9499.thumb.jpg.65714873519587e0a508d20cb16390ed.jpg

 

Plated with broccoli and corn:

1-IMG_9501.thumb.jpg.cad034a643d98dbde081ba34155fa22c.jpg 

I would have preferred Brussels sprouts, but we had broccoli and it needed cooking. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Massive thunderstorms in the NorthEast. Should end tonight. Had planned to smoke shrimp, merguez, and salmon. 

Did the stovetop method. At 2o'clock sausage, onion, and peppers with spiced roasted beans. Potato salad meant for tomorrows ribs. 10o'clock is what was left of a watermelon, mango, cherry tomato, pea, feta salad made earlier that we grazed on in the kitchen. 

Might try the smoked shrimp and salmon tonight. Maybe not. Indoor back-up. 

47 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

At this point, I was sure I’d overcooked the potatoes:

Recently I've found that slightly over-cooking and using two varieties of potatoes gives me some creaminess for roasties or my potato salads. 

 

Fortunate to have a few things prepped ahead. Storms really toss a wrench into dinner plans. I offered toasted split-top buns for the sausages---no takers.

 

 

IMG_3233.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The potato salad. A hybrid of a favorite sesame, ginger, chili crisp, with a horseradish, mustard, greek yogurt. Celery, capers, red onion, cucumber.

 

 

IMG_3228.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, FauxPas said:

 

We have a similar approach to Strip Loin steaks - one very large ideally or two smaller ones. Grilled the first night and then leftovers are often used to make fajitas the next day. I sauté the onions, peppers and garlic and then add the leftover meat slices in at the end, just to barely heat through. 

 

We've been starting dinner this week with simple salads. Our local farms are behind because it's been an unusually cool Spring, but we can get some greens and early veggies and we have greenhouse-assisted tomatoes and cukes. And Spring garlic right now! I used to wait until scapes were available but the inmature/green garlic is so good and makes a wonderful dressing. I was also going to make pesto with some tonight but strangely have no walnuts/pine nuts or similar in the pantry. Tomorrow! 

 

Shannon at the local Shamrock Farm gave me permission to share her Green Garlic Dressing, which we adore! In her words:

 

Green Garlic
It’s one of those crops we eagerly anticipate every spring. A vegetable you’ll seldom, if ever, find at a grocery store. Green garlic is in season.

Green garlic is young, uncured, not fully formed bulb garlic. The raw flavor is sweeter and less intense then regular bulb garlic. They’re similar to wild ramps but with a delicious sweet, garlicky flavour.

 

Green Garlic Salad Dressing 

3 stalks green garlic (white and green parts) chopped

1/2 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 

1 teaspoon mustard (I use The Mustard Lady’s honey garlic mustard)

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon lemon juice 

Salt and pepper to taste

 

*Blend until dressing is smooth and emulsified (like a smoothy). Refrigerate. 

Drizzle green garlic dressing on anything to add a sweet, intense garlic flavor. From salads to pasta, to bruschetta and roasted vegetables. Farmer Mike describes it as “a garlic smoothy”. It’s not a smoothy per say but it is the most amazing garlic dressing you will ever taste. Promise.

                                                                                                ***********************

 

Here's last night's super-simple salad, Green Garlic Dressing ready to pour. I used a regular Dijon mustard, The Mustard Lady is another local provider who sells at a storefront and at the farmers' market. 

 

PXL_20220527_235941815.thumb.jpg.70da7a7877528b4ca961aea3bafc08d2.jpg

 

PXL_20220528_002112371.thumb.jpg.1ac3777d4cae52b972be7295c9896fbf.jpg

 

 

 

I've never had green garlic before, but I have a bunch of ramps right now. Do you think they'd work in this dressing? Would they be (heh) wildly different, or only slightly?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Smithy said:

 

I've never had green garlic before, but I have a bunch of ramps right now. Do you think they'd work in this dressing? Would they be (heh) wildly different, or only slightly?

 

I'm pretty sure you could make a nice dressing with the ramps. I don't know when I've had ramps, they aren't native to this region! Maybe taste and add a bit of garlic to the dressing as well, if needed. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A quick, easy chicken schnitzel with salt and a squeeze of lemon. 

Sour cream and sweet chilli sauce for the wedges.

IMG_20220528_184014.thumb.jpg.05d8e3208387a7a21f7643649c867174.jpg

 

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Do you make yours from scratch or like a premade paste?

I confess I use a jar from Thailand. 😉

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

 

I've never had green garlic before, but I have a bunch of ramps right now. Do you think they'd work in this dressing? Would they be (heh) wildly different, or only slightly?

 

I'm the opposite. Green garlic is common here but I've never seen, never mind tasted, ramps. 

 

I'm sure the dressing would work with the ramps, but be different.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
873582086_SmokedSalmonandChampagneMoesBirthdayMay28th20222.thumb.jpg.52b55e3da1e907139692144e4da98a64.jpg
Moe's Birthday Dinner.
I had planned to make Osso Bucco, but he decided he would be happy
640203998_SmokedSalmonandChampagneMoesBirthdayMay28th2022.thumb.jpg.168fe0700ed52378d78cf5802f4318d3.jpg
with homemade Rye bread with smoked salmon and a bottle of Champagne.
 
207676833_SmokedSalmonandChampagneMoesBirthdayMay28th20221.thumb.jpg.cea0c12f8317821fa306e9b1a6388129.jpg

 

Daaang, I'd be happy with that too. Happy birthday to Moe! Best wishes to both of you! (and I'd still be happy if you wanted to relocate here)!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pork chop, cooked in the NFG, along with the first corn on the cob of the season, microwaved in the husk.  I don't expect much from fresh corn this early but it wasn't half bad!  Followed by a couple of glasses of Zin, one from Paso Robles and another from who knows where.

 

nfg-pork-chop19.jpg.27572a7630f1d58a924dd473cfb409eb.jpg

 

  • Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Captain said:

A quick, easy chicken schnitzel with salt and a squeeze of lemon. 

Sour cream and sweet chilli sauce for the wedges.

IMG_20220528_184014.thumb.jpg.05d8e3208387a7a21f7643649c867174.jpg

 

I confess I use a jar from Thailand. 😉


You monster !!! Desperately looking for an „excommunicate“ button 😜

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Pizza & Movie night (sans the movie) …

 

Little one went for a trial training of climbing today with a neighbor kid. Then they went on playing somewhere in the neighborhood. I had of course prepared everything for having the pizza ready by 18.00h. Luckily the mom of said kid invited herself to stay at our place while the kids were terrorizing the village. After an initial Mojito she found that pizza didn’t sound half as bad, so she participated in …

 

“Meatlovers“ - grilled pork neck, sweet ham, bacon, Spanish salami. 
 

6969B227-53A5-44C0-829F-2E0DE6A0D36A.thumb.jpeg.e717b9d6267362ebf851f53bce08bc4f.jpeg

 

„Silence of the clams“ - (Jarred) clams, garlic, more garlic, oregano, fresh parsley and Pecorino.

 

D6BD48E7-29C0-4D9D-AB36-DC7EE88743EA.thumb.jpeg.3a39c5f76f59b0556e81008c910ed691.jpeg

 

“Say cheese“ - Edamer, Mozz, Pecorino, Brie, Boursin.

 

CCB8BA44-60C3-453D-A34E-572401E28BE1.thumb.jpeg.709491d976ed7afe3ee78c6505dd4d75.jpeg

 

Just before going to bed, little one got a reheated slice of „Say Cheese“, which he enjoyed. I concluded the day enjoying some content from my newly arranged Whiskey shelves in the mancave. I am a simple person …

 

1D139520-9962-4BE1-A5A7-8A4A0B5B259D.thumb.jpeg.1e5d9735235b066a87414120aca3fc20.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...