• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Grilled salmon over arugula and (leftover) corn/black bean salad.  Dressing: Dijon, lemon juice and olive oil.  Surrounded by a few roasted potatoes.  

salonsalad.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Last night's dinner.
339053738_PennewithfreshtomatoesandacreamsauceMarch12th2022.thumb.jpg.dc29067d3b65241e73117ecfc04faa11.jpg

Penne with fresh tomatoes and a cream sauce with parmesan.
I made this for him recently and served it with grilled halibut. He liked the pasta sauce so much that he actually ate leftovers for lunch the next day.
I asked him yesterday before leaving for work, what he might like for dinner and he suggested pasta with the same sauce.
Very simple sauce. I sauted some mini plum tomatoes in olive oil and a bit of butter.
When they had softened I added a couple of minced cloves of garlic, dried basil and heavy cream.
Seasoned with salt and pepper and let simmer until the cream had reduced.
Used the back of a wooden spoon to squish the tomatoes. Added some fresh grated parmesan cheese to the sauce, and just before serving added fresh chopped basil.
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

I am „refurbishing“ our rooftop terrace*. After spending all day carrying building materials two stories up I was prepared to order something in because I literally couldn’t lift a knife anymore. 

Unfortunately little one was feeling a bit under the weather (maybe vaccination side effect ?) and really needed his Pizza & Movie night. And take-out/delivery pizza was not an option (according to him). So …

Mushrooms & salami (as seen in pretty much every Sunday pizza post from me)

63A55CD9-49E2-41A1-A6F8-D6B6BD6D7ED6.thumb.jpeg.7944241e4d0c6bf5a4d3f84685585543.jpeg

The @weinoo special: Hawaii (based on fresh pineapple) with sweet ham just added post bake for maximum flavor …

12593ADB-1139-493C-8DF5-EF29D52CBD9A.thumb.jpeg.9e614dd3f4a5ab9b731a27fa9b583a72.jpeg

Brussel sprouts and Serrano ham (post bake). Pretty good, too …

2546BC7D-7D37-44FE-A61C-ED251BD2A7FE.thumb.jpeg.f1a51cbf7bfb28fece9f939a565cedf4.jpeg

5EB93185-021D-428D-A040-C17BC758FC08.thumb.jpeg.e31b97cc00736a628553c420301954e4.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching the new Pixar movie „Turning red“ - fun movie. I went straight into a hot bathtub afterwards …

—-

*refurbishing might not be the right term. We have a lovely huge south-facing rooftop terrace that in all the years living here we haven’t used even once. So I‘ll build a deck, a pavilion and maybe some area for growing herbs. Plus electricity, water, etc. … The only issue with that is the „rooftop“ part, that comes with free work-out 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

The @weinoo special: Hawaii (based on fresh pineapple) with sweet ham just added post bake for maximum flavor …

It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine!

• Haha 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Seared tuna (Wild Fork), charred asparagus and Korean glazed potatoes

20220313_182342.thumb.png.477a430160cf88561801c3833d3f460a.png

Your new photographic technique is interesting.    I'm not sure it's showing off your plate to any benefit.    i get hung up on style rather than substance.   But carry on.   It's not you, it's me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Mushrooms & salami (as seen in pretty much every Sunday pizza post from me)

Okay, you did it to me again! I made bao with a with a Japanese ginger beef filling for lunch so I hadn't planned on much of anything for dinner. But that pizza made me so hungry for pizza that I just had to do it.

20220313_185920.thumb.jpg.5dc747df1486f5a065f22364f9221324.jpg

Olives, salami, two kinds of mozzarella, parmesan and anchovies. Yes, I love cheese. I always order extra cheese when I get it out.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

19 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Your new photographic technique is interesting.    I'm not sure it's showing off your plate to any benefit.    i get hung up on style rather than substance.   But carry on.   It's not you, it's me.

Lol. My phone has an app that I use occasionally to hide crappy plating. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It's odd for me in that when I click on the picture, it comes up with a black background which is stunning! In the post, it shows up on a white background which I don't care for nearly as much.

• Like 2

Variation on Ropa Vieja - as with any “famous” dish there tend to be as many various/recipes as there are cooks. But this one was interesting as normally the rice is cooked and served separately but here the broth used to cook the beef was also used to cook the rice and ultimately everything was mixed together. The flank steak was cooked in a mixture of beef broth, celery, onion, garlic, sherry vinegar, soy sauce, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika which later gave great flavor to the rice.

1F2050B9-8C6A-400D-A05E-74B1165C086C.thumb.jpeg.b37c762eb222ee82167164a09811c7be.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

It's odd for me in that when I click on the picture, it comes up with a black background which is stunning! In the post, it shows up on a white background which I don't care for nearly as much.

Me too.

I've had one end up carrying the black through long ago, but now they are all white.

28 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't care about the photography, although it is amazing, I'd like to know more about those potatoes. They look delicious.

They were tasty. A bit of a flavor bomb, though.  I wouldn't pair them with something mild.

The web-derived (seriouseats?) recipe was (from memory)

-halve and shallow fry new potatoes till golden on the cut side

-boil potatoes in a mix of 3 tbsp water, 2 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar and a garlic clove, smashed.  Obviously I used a small pan where this just covered the potatoes.  I don't see why water couldn't be added as needed since it gets boiled down anyway

I fished out the clove toward  the end 

-cook the potatoes until the liquid has turned syrupy and slosh around to coat.

-LET THEM COOL a bit

Thinking back I don't see t he need for shallow frying, cooking face down on a oiled sauté pan ought to be enough since the potato will cook fine in the boiling syrup.  In fact , though browned from frying, it wasn't noticeable in the product

I only made it once.  I could see adding a bit of heat to the sauce

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1