• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

This may be a little bit of an unusual paring but it worked for me.  Matzo balls in chicken stock finished with lemon zest, garlic chives and chili threads.  Served with roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and Villa Manadori aged balsamic vinegar.

IMG_20220126_184416445.thumb.jpg.4870d49185c748cc0993117aea73b689.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Another WW dinner, air fryer egg rolls and fried (brown) rice. You can't see the gloriously orange egg yolk of the local egg I scrambled into it, but the most beautiful egg we've had in a long while.

3749C127-2AEB-4ER62E-BD40-F675B5C2DA65.jpeg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Two recent dinners.

Sirloin steak, cooked SV then seared, served with baked potato and butter.

sirloin-baker2.jpg.a1e5b3208990f5ffa9f2dc6aade90a3a.jpg

Cabbage soup with chuck, tomatoes, onion, cabbage and carrots.  Made in the IP.

cabbage-soup-ip9.jpg.1b594a7d6a7ac1aa3a90a1af0df81e08.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

11 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Two recent dinners.

Sirloin steak, cooked SV then seared, served with baked potato and butter.

sirloin-baker2.jpg.a1e5b3208990f5ffa9f2dc6aade90a3a.jpg

Cabbage soup with chuck, tomatoes, onion, cabbage and carrots.  Made in the IP.

cabbage-soup-ip9.jpg.1b594a7d6a7ac1aa3a90a1af0df81e08.jpg

This is pure comfort in a bowl.

Yo-yo weather!
-30C yesterday then -1C today! It's 11:36 pm and it's -3. Makes for treacherous roads - black ice, and for part of the day, the TransCanada was closed. That's the stretch we have to drive tomorrow - another trip to Winnipeg for medical apptns.

Meanwhile, supper tonight was steamed whole pickerel with ginger, green onion, and cilantro. I get these whole dressed as well as fillets from a fisherman from Gimli, MB  - Lake Winnipeg. Have been coming to our city for several years, 3 times / year. I always stock up. Whole or 1 lb fillet baby pickerel is $10.00.

1198722773_SteamedPickerel6345.jpg.b3c5e892a88bbcac5d15628cfca92b63.jpg

Eaten with stir-fried beansprouts and char siu, and jasmine rice

1323736839_BeanSprouts6344.jpg.f5a7978eafffc58ae16e8689e42eecd1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Barley flavored with pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cumin, chopped pistachios and golden raisins, topped with sautéed red onions, orange pepper and kale, and broiled eggplant marinated in mint and garlic.  Plus some feta cheese, cilantro and pomegranate seeds.  

eggplant.thumb.jpg.b9a6ca3807ddd5917a434ec4f7d6f592.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Sichuan twice cooked mahi mahi

I doubt there is anyone in Sichuan knows what mahi mahi is! I'm not sure I know! 😂

But it sure sounds interesting. I have eaten double-cooked fish, but it was always freshwater fish. But then I love fish - cooked or not!

I'd love to see your recipe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I doubt there is anyone in Sichuan knows what mahi mahi is! I'm not sure I know! 😂

But it sure sounds interesting. I have eaten double-cooked fish, but it was always freshwater fish. But then I love fish - cooked or not!

I'd love to see your recipe.

I'm pretty sure that no one in Sichuan knows what mahi mahi is!!!  But I really like it - it's firm and meaty but flakes and stays juicy, and it's pretty affordable as wild caught fish around here usually isn't.  I'll put the 'recipe' in RecipEgullet - although I don't usually use a recipe for stuff like this - just a rough framework - it's actually quite similar to a mapo tofu, but with less liquid and doesn't need thickening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Barley flavored with pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cumin, chopped pistachios and golden raisins, topped with sautéed red onions, orange pepper and kale, and broiled eggplant marinated in mint and garlic.  Plus some feta cheese, cilantro and pomegranate seeds.  

eggplant.thumb.jpg.b9a6ca3807ddd5917a434ec4f7d6f592.jpg

Love the flavors. I am also a fan  of zucchini w/ mint and garlic.   do the Melissa Clark (as taught by one of her mothers in law (Italian). 1/8" slices, tossed with olive oil and salt and then broiled till begins to brown. Then toss with mint and minced garlic. Sometimes I mix basil and mint or just use basil. Also nice with some yogurt mixed in.

• Like 4

20220127_170625.thumb.jpg.869e515afc63a1f4768f7de48107086f.jpg

When it's bonechillingly cold, and you're frustrated with trying to work because no one will return your phone calls, you revert to comfort food. White beans, cornbread, kraut and cocktail weenies.

And wine.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Continuing my pre-Chinese New Year clearance, tonight's dinner was a sort of leftover bánh mì or three. Made with homemade chicken liver pâté and roasted rabbit meat, plus the usual accompaniments. No pictures, sorry.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Homemade tortillas (I added a pinch of turmeric for bright color). Roasted butternut squash, black beans, cheese. Sauce of rehydrated chipotle, coriander seeds, cumin, lime and a hint of cinnamon. Sour cream. Quickly pickled cabbage slaw.

PXL_20220126_185159494.thumb.jpg.0929fb7609766d679167fd7d2ff41a7a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Soup of celery, fennel, chard. With dried Persian limes, turmeric, baharat, dill, dried mint, coriander, cumin, chili, lemon, some sugar to balance the acidity. Chickpeas, brown rice dumplings.

PXL_20220121_191009634.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Continuing my pre-Chinese New Year clearance, tonight's dinner was a sort of leftover bánh mì or three. Made with homemade chicken liver pâté and roasted rabbit meat, plus the usual accompaniments. No pictures, sorry.

NYTimes has had many LunarNewYear recipes featured recently. Looking forward to trying some new things next week. 

NYTimes Nonya Hokkien Stir-Fried Noodles

Not possible to post the entire e-mail menu of recipes...

• Like 1

Roasted a pasture raised chicken Wednesday---storm prep. Usually a Sunday meal. Chard and collards. Smashed potatoes. Extra credit a frozen packet of wild rice stuffing from the holidays. Then a stock from the carcass. Last night a chicken and wild rice veg ginger soup. 

5 pints of chicken soup for the freezer and 4 1/2 pints of stock. 

Storm prep, check, done. Lots of choices if we lose power. Pantry and freezer good. Stuffed. My stupid odd grain obsession I just want a good white basmati or anything simple. Nada. Lots of noodle choices so that is good. A bag of 'sticky rice'. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.24.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.04.54 PM.png

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1