• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

@Duvel I just snorted out my drink at Petit Billy. So male goat milk cheese? Just reading the term evokes those smelly often ill-tempered creatures. Smelly!!! (well unlss they get fixed aka castrated)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

Forgot to take picture. 

A satisfyingly easy meal last night after a cool and cloudy day (it went to 70 but didn't feel like it).

These white beans from Spain are so smooth and creamy.  I rinsed about half of them, left the rest in their goopy bean juice.

I fried a hot Italian sausage with some sliced shallot over super-high heat until both were caramelized, added the beans to heat thru.  After plating I added some toasted pine nuts (we get little pinkish ones here).  

We can buy these alubias at several stores here, including Walmart MX.  If you see them on your store shelves you should give them a try.  

alubias.jpg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Forgot to take picture. 

A satisfyingly easy meal last night after a cool and cloudy day (it went to 70 but didn't feel like it).

These white beans from Spain are so smooth and creamy.  I rinsed about half of them, left the rest in their goopy bean juice.

I fried a hot Italian sausage with some sliced shallot over super-high heat until both were caramelized, added the beans to heat thru.  After plating I added some toasted pine nuts (we get little pinkish ones here).  

We can buy these alubias at several stores here, including Walmart MX.  If you see them on your store shelves you should give them a try.  

alubias.jpg

We buy jarred Spanish beans all the time - absolutely love them. As you say, they’re really nice and creamy - so much better than canned beans which I usually find very chalky. 

Out online supermarket carries the brindisa brand - chickpeas, white beans, gigantes and lentils. They’re all lovely and really make a meal. 

Just wish they weren’t so expensive! About £5-6 a jar here. 

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

Forgot to take picture. 

alubias.jpg

This actually a well known brand in Spain, normally easy to find in the shelves of supermarkets. I have try other products from them, not that one, and they are nice.

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Hey, how come Heinz gives THEM a mayonnaise with garlic and caramelized onions but doesn't give it to US in the States??

Heinz is huge and in a lean market they may test newbies but over time Ithink they have seen their mixed flavor products float and lose helium soon. $$$ https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/americas-third-largest-food-company-210820554.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookBot said:

Hey, how come Heinz gives THEM a mayonnaise with garlic and caramelized onions but doesn't give it to US in the States??

The one reason we cruse through a local "Pic and Save" that sells salvage/excess inventory is that we fall over product that we never see in our urban carriage trade market.   All kinds of unusual, possibly test products, that we hanker for when they're gone but can never find at normal retail.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad w/ Pin Nut Vinaigrette from The Food Lab.

20221218_170351.thumb.jpg.6f57abe862b84d286a0b50a1d0509c9a.jpg

We had oranges and grapefruit so figured we'd try this out.

Not sure we'll ever make again.  I prefer to eat my citrus by it self and the pine nuts are a bit odd.

It looks pretty at least :)

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Down and dirty tonight after a day of baking and wrapping. Sheet pan dinner with pork tenderloins coated in hoisin sauce and green beans and halved baby potatoes tossed with salt, pepper and olive oil. Did the trick.

sp dinner.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

46 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Down and dirty tonight after a day of baking and wrapping. Sheet pan dinner with pork tenderloins coated in hoisin sauce and green beans and halved baby potatoes tossed with slat, pepper and olive oil. Did the trick.

sp dinner.jpg

I wouldn't call that "down and dirty"!  (Unless, of course, you were referring afterwards to the cook.)

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, &roid said:

We buy jarred Spanish beans all the time - absolutely love them. As you say, they’re really nice and creamy - so much better than canned beans which I usually find very chalky. 

Out online supermarket carries the brindisa brand - chickpeas, white beans, gigantes and lentils. They’re all lovely and really make a meal. 

Just wish they weren’t so expensive! About £5-6 a jar here. 

I **think** Mexico has good trade agreements with Spain, Italy as the prices on specific products here are often less than what I've seen them sell for in US.  These beans are 43 pesos, or $2.20 USD, mas or menos.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

good trade agreements with Spain, Italy as the prices on specific products here are often less than what I've seen them sell for in US.

Oh, how I envy you. Since the beginning of the pandemic we are seeing less and less imported foods. The problem is twofold. First is trade agreements, the only one that they seem to have a good trade agreement with is China. Second is shipping and customs. Much of the food comes overland from The States and it all has to pass through Nicaragua. Trucks can sit on the northern border of Nicaragua for over a week before they decide whether to let them through or not. Two restaurants here, Chili's and Outback almost went out of business because their food all came in overland and by the time it got here it was outdated or ruined. The second problem here is

Customs. Many of the store managers complain that Customs is so slow that the food sits on pallets in warehouses and by the time it reaches the store it is almost past its sell by date. Food prices here go up daily in Costa Rica is now one of the most expensive places to live in Central America.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Sad 3

On 12/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, Smithy said:

Oh, how I want some of that! Right now! I think I'll have to go on a search for duck...smoked or otherwise...but I also think it will be pointless in my current location.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Still enjoying the spoils of our Strasbourg visit, while entertaining our Japanese house guest …

Tonight: Côte de Boeuf, reverse seared …

661DC3E2-3D9C-4337-A982-B9CD60ACA2AE.thumb.jpeg.739cb7a5612d325bb142a0d03f83abd5.jpeg

Nailed it 

8CC5C1E6-05F4-4D8A-94DE-3C7921F8E0EA.thumb.jpeg.67ad75b92cab1f00c807021b62d48f4f.jpeg

Served with haricots verts …

32C276DD-A3C4-49DC-989A-B18D3E0245CD.thumb.jpeg.35c334b24a23c12e67c231a62a6a2bba.jpeg

Potato croquettes (commercial) …

9EFFB503-F6F6-4047-BE40-8B4E3580839C.thumb.jpeg.1d064d162b44d896296f75a285371c3b.jpeg

… and a sauce made from the pan drippings, butter, cream and shallots plus a fantastic Roquefort compound butter.

48A98647-66C8-4A88-8C7B-334B0047DDB6.thumb.jpeg.1e1eb751e6f280ff028ced439ae92d0e.jpeg

A  contemporary German red to go with it …

48DB0E21-C874-4B8F-8616-F5242F2F8EC4.thumb.jpeg.4bac67bc7184b5786062a51d0af2e145.jpeg

No complaints !

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

14 hours ago, Honkman said:

Very nice beef stew from Nik Sharma’s Season cookbook with red wine, verjus, pomegranate molasses, tomato paste, cinnamon and bay leaves. The briefly braised pearl onions were nice bursts of balancing flavors. Served with savoy cabbage braised with duck fat and over rice.

I love Nick Sharma’s book but what is making my mouth water on your plate is the duck fat braised cabbage over rice. I could make short work of that.

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Potato croquettes (commercial) …

They look amazingly good. Are they similar to our Tater Tots? “Tater tots are grated potatoes formed into small cylinders and deep-fried, often served as a side dish.” We buy them frozen and either shallow fry or bake them for serving. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Well, dang. I meant to add with that, is there an Asian market anywhere close? Those are my go-to for duck.

Not that I've found so far. Good suggestion, though - and with this population size maybe I haven't looked properly. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wouldn't call that "down and dirty"!  (Unless, of course, you were referring afterwards to the cook.)

@JoNorvelleWalkerI was too tired to be down and dirty after dinner. It's just a phrase that I use to alert the family not to expect anything spectcular. Kind of like my dear late mother's expression of a quick house clean - "a lick and a promise."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2992447A-DAD1-46B3-A560-3102DBCE2291.thumb.jpeg.a7838d0639cc1567f67ba47b02518cbc.jpeg

chicken Kyiv (purchased) cooked in the air fryer with a side of cheesy broccoli. (No idea about the blue reflections in the top right hand corner.)

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog