• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

17 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Recently picked up some Kirkland chicken thighs from Costco.   Nasty stuff as it’s mechanically separated thighs with  a lot of little pieces.    Cooked up one pack after cleaning it up.    Tossed it on the smoker.  Not too bad but the rest was dealt with today.  Due to the mess when opening the packages, I cleaned and ground up the rest and made chicken thigh patties.   They tasted ok but too much effort.  I’ll not buy them again.  I have a couple trays of chicken thigh burgers in the freezer which will be vac packed  for later use.  

Had I not had a grinder I would have tossed them due to the time to deal with them 

Costco has slipped badly in our area. Wegman's has better meats and better prices

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

with the lean little critter - do you have a marinade or method tip esp for the grill. I have only braised.

I used the same marinade I use on lamb...olive oil, lemon juice, fresh rosemary and dijon mustard.  Marinated 24 hours.  

I grilled it not so much by time, but by instant thermometer.  Pulled pieces off as they hit 150 and let rest and they rose to 160.  I rested 15 minutes.  The larger pieces took about 20 minutes and the smaller legs maybe 12??  It's hard to take temperature on smaller pieces.  

This was smaller rabbit (1.08 kg) than the one I braised on Thanksgiving (1.5 kg).  The smaller one was more tender.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, Shelby said:

Shrimp tortellini with crawfish boudin and my canned green beans

How in the world do you find crawfish boudin in Kansas???  I'm in the South and I can't even find it in the Carolinas.

(Although, now that I think about it, I'm probably only as far from Louisiana as you are, mile-wise.)

• Like 1

I came across a new recipe earlier this week that I just had to try.

I do love cabbage in any form and this one reminded me of Pennsylvania Dutch soup my Mom used to make that I've never been able to fully re-create.

Mine is cooking away in the crockpot now.

Recipe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CookBot said:

How in the world do you find crawfish boudin in Kansas???  I'm in the South and I can't even find it in the Carolinas.

(Although, now that I think about it, I'm probably only as far from Louisiana as you are, mile-wise.)

I order it from LA 😬

I usually do a big order around this time of year --I give some to my in-laws for Christmas.  I love this place--The Best Stop In Scott

We can't even get regular boudin here.  Our friend from Georgia can just go to to Wal-Mart and find it.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Delicious 1

Added some demi glace to the dish, I always add mushrooms. I often add celery but not this time. I defrosted some venison stock, I added 1 cup to the dish and reduced the rest with 1/2 a Knorr's bullion cube. Ladled a little across the plated dish. It was very solid.

20221211_154329.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

2 hours ago, Kerala said:

Never had meatloaf. I've eaten a nut roast and I've eaten a burger- is it somewhere in between?

Well, I’ve never had nut loaf so I couldn’t say. It’s like a burger but mine has oatmeal, onion, carrots and celery cooked in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Just simply steak and baked potatoes tonight.  I always take the potato out of the skin so I can eat the skin last lol 

steak.jpg

steak and potato.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Still pretending to be in Indonesia today, as it's 40degrees and raining here.....

PXL_20221212_001740629.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.487dbaa0dc1971fd8b4096de190cdb3d.jpg

Sambal udang kecombrang. Sambal = chilli, udang = shrip, kecombrang = torch ginger.  There's a lot of variations of sambal udang - this one was made using torch ginger flower, which I've had in my freezer forever.... It's really aromatic in a floral kind of way. The head on shrimp were deep fried which made the head and shell really crunchy, and really shrimpy! Plus I have a whole load of shrimp head fat oil now!

PXL_20221211_201802046.thumb.jpg.363185192d8332971102804237126c02.jpg

Torch ginger defrosting

And some kuih....

PXL_20221212_005000176.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.fa1d637cfed8302d31637a62fb2aa749.jpg

PXL_20221212_010522706.thumb.jpg.96668898a280564a853f6dbb84569f5d.jpg

Shrimp head oil

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

On 11/28/2022 at 1:12 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

Interesting. Would you please elaborate.

It's a Beef on Weck sandwich adapted as a pizza- pizza with beef, provalone, and a cream/horseradish sauce with caraway seeds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1