• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

We don’t often have sweet potatoes but I needed some for a curry base recently so had half a bag left over. 

Me and youngest kitchen porter decided to make some gnocchi with them which were delicious. Fried in some brown butter with a bit of sage and served with a tomato sauce to cut though the richness a bit. They had a great light texture, much nicer than “normal” potato ones I’ve made.  

C22EC288-C0C5-47F3-9F7F-AA4E23A718BD.jpeg

5F27239F-CCA5-4DC4-9EFD-3E60C791385D.jpeg

They were nice and rustic thanks to KP’s cutting!

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 5

12 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Do you have ikan bilis available where you are?

Yes, you can buy them easily here in Asia shops. I prefer the more mellow taste of mackerel (plus it is local, so a lot cheaper) …

• Like 1

We got quite a lot of cabbage, carrots and onions from local CSA farm. I've made coleslaw of course. Also made some cabbage rolls that lasted a couple of days. And Molly Stevens' World's Best Braised Cabbage which lasted us for a few nights. And haluska/haluski, which I'm sure some people here will know, is an Eastern European dish of luscious slowly sautéed onion, cabbage and butter which is then mixed in with cooked egg noodles and sometimes served with sour cream.

All very good, but I have to admit to getting a bit tired of cabbage at this point.  🙂

Cabbage rolls.

IMG_20200709_194234.thumb.jpg.031a8201e036a7436be04e9e24fdfa67.jpg

Molly Stevens' cabbage and carrots leftovers on Day 2 or 3. I always use more carrot than she suggests and also more (homemade) chicken stock. We had some pork sausages on the side. 

1939116918_PXL_20221112_035006587.PORTRAIT(1).thumb.jpg.297c34d054ef458045806685589bfde1.jpg

Haluska/haluski with some sour cream on the side. Hard to see the cabbage, but there was a fair bit in there. My husband had some leftover striploin with his, I just had this on its own. 

PXL_20221127_031433051.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.a236eae4af8ca0d79a19cd5cf9493694.jpg

I have a bit of cabbage left. Maybe make some soup with it? 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

After the Thanksgiving cook-a-thon I didn't want to do much on Friday.  

My frozen sauce with a leftover slice of green bean, blue cheese mushroom tart and a shrimp salad to use up the leftover shrimp.

thumbnail_IMG_3504.jpg.8340949d772fe4357555fcceb479e2dc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3503.jpg.d14804d1e94e63a705443fe424bb5489.jpg

And last night, the real reason for making turkey.  Sandwiches.

thumbnail_IMG_3515.jpg.14a5231b808ebfff19abec3b75da0341.jpg

Don't worry.  I had my usual 4 fries after the picture.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

We got quite a lot of cabbage, carrots and onions from local CSA farm. I've made coleslaw of course. Also made some cabbage rolls that lasted a couple of days. And Molly Stevens' World's Best Braised Cabbage which lasted us for a few nights. And haluska/haluski, which I'm sure some people here will know, is an Eastern European dish of luscious slowly sautéed onion, cabbage and butter which is then mixed in with cooked egg noodles and sometimes served with sour cream.

All very good, but I have to admit to getting a bit tired of cabbage at this point.  🙂

Cabbage rolls.

IMG_20200709_194234.thumb.jpg.031a8201e036a7436be04e9e24fdfa67.jpg

Molly Stevens' cabbage and carrots leftovers on Day 2 or 3. I always use more carrot than she suggests and also more (homemade) chicken stock. We had some pork sausages on the side. 

1939116918_PXL_20221112_035006587.PORTRAIT(1).thumb.jpg.297c34d054ef458045806685589bfde1.jpg

Haluska/haluski with some sour cream on the side. Hard to see the cabbage, but there was a fair bit in there. My husband had some leftover striploin with his, I just had this on its own. 

PXL_20221127_031433051.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.a236eae4af8ca0d79a19cd5cf9493694.jpg

I have a bit of cabbage left. Maybe make some soup with it? 

I've been craving cabbage rolls for weeks.  Yours look amazing!

I'd definitely make soup.  Uses up a lot.

• Thanks 1

I'll call this one Gilded Lily Gumbo.  The turkey and sausage gumbo was made with homemade andouille sausage and SV/smoked turkey leg quarters in a rich chicken stock.  The gumbo was finished with lump crab and shrimp sautéed in butter and turkey meat from the wing. 

IMG_20221127_121625955_HDR.thumb.jpg.a239d590149bb9e35f973eb1760e07bb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

10 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

I'll call this one Gilded Lily Gumbo.  The turkey and sausage gumbo was made with homemade andouille sausage and SV/smoked turkey leg quarters in a rich chicken stock.  The gumbo was finished with lump crab and shrimp sautéed in butter and turkey meat from the wing. 

IMG_20221127_121625955_HDR.thumb.jpg.a239d590149bb9e35f973eb1760e07bb.jpg

Uh yeah.  This looks delicious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too much meat the past couple of days, I needed something lighter. Quick soup with pantry ingredients - boxed stock with asian flavors, baked tofu, rice noodles, seaweed, carrots, roasted broccoli florets. DH enjoyed it also.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Spent a good part of yesterday and today preparing a birthday dinner for my nephew who is staying with us. Feta/hot honey/pistachio bites and veggies with home made ranch dip for appies. Pulled pork, mac and cheese, broccoli mushroom casserole, coleslaw, caesar salad and brioche buns. My 2 daughters and their SO's, my husband and I and the birthday boy. Well, birthday boy came up around 2:00 to say that he had taken a Covid test (he's had a sore throat for a couple of days) and it's positive. So my daughters will come for a masked visit on the deck and I have prepared the food for their two households to go. It's not ideal, but it is real. What can ya do? My husband and I will eat with nephew at the long dining room table with us at one end and he at the other. Like royalty! Husband and I are vaxxed and boosted (as is nephew) and since we have already been around him and sharing meals for the last few days, it doesn't feel too risky...

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

I have not made this in quite a white :

Tomato-Brie toasties

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.c3f89f2500ffcc0dbe1c556b455fd641.jpg

ready for the CSO.  I lightly toast the bread first , add Kalamata OO 

a light sprinkling of Penzy's  sandwich sprinkle  ( think garlic bread-ish )

then the cut tomatoes and brie

IMG_1948.thumb.jpg.0c1bee6e9fc909551d5e4c051dbff609.jpg

plate

IMG_1950.thumb.jpg.2b42b5c0541caaa9d8d3752e066254d4.jpg

these were surprisingly good , far better than the pics.

the good news for me is that Tj's has all the ingredients , most of the time.

No fresh local bakery bread on Monday .

each layer needs a tiny tweek  but not much.

more broiler time to get that brown bubbly top

or an added torching . Brie was cabinet aged for a few days,

tomatoes brown bag aged 

@rotuts You have a CSO and an APO.  Lack of fresh local bakery bread is no excuse.

Dinner here is coleslaw, bedroom aged Sunset Organic Campari, pork loin* sandwiches -- two nights in a row.  I am not complaining.  Mayonnaise is Hellmann's.

In winter I store my organic cabbage downstairs by the front door.  For anyone wondering, toilet paper is on the landing.  @Dave the Cook might not be thoroughly convinced but toilet paper is related to food.  Moreso sometimes than I might like.

* blessings to @Shelby

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ham tonight with mashed potatoes and broc and hollandaise.   Ham and I have a bit of a love/hate war going on.  Sometimes it works for me , sometimes not.  Don't ask me why.  We've mostly called a truce since I've been doing it in the slow cooker and the juices reduced and thickened make a lovely sauce as well.  I use orange juice in the bottom of the cooker and make a paste of brown sugar, honey, balsamic, dijon and of course a splash of bourbon, and spread that on the ham whilst it's cooking 

ham.jpg

ham and sauce.jpg

broc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

38 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Ham tonight with mashed potatoes and broc and hollandaise.   Ham and I have a bit of a love/hate war going on.  Sometimes it works for me , sometimes not.  Don't ask me why.  We've mostly called a truce since I've been doing it in the slow cooker and the juices reduced and thickened make a lovely sauce as well.  I use orange juice in the bottom of the cooker and make a paste of brown sugar, honey, balsamic, dijon and of course a splash of bourbon, and spread that on the ham whilst it's cooking 

ham.jpg

ham and sauce.jpg

broc.jpg

I've been craving ham.  I love your broccoli cheese too :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, &roid said:

Beautiful! Great to get them to fall in love with cooking young. All three of our adult children started cooking young. We've got two more in the house that are catching on.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

All the wonderful Thanksgiving meals being share here on all the FB groups, made me hungry for a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings.
Presalted the chicken on Friday. Made the dressing before leaving for work this morning.
820660119_RoastChickenDinnerNovember27th20222.thumb.jpg.e840234d1c6ed9c79d823a436f492743.jpg
Chicken went into the oven when I got home from work. Moe had turned it on so it was preheated to 500°F before I got home.
While the chicken roasted in the big oven, the dressing was baking in the CSO.
341122394_RoastChickenDinnerNovember27th20221.thumb.jpg.aee5788851b9e40dc105030a324836d3.jpg
Sides were mashed potatoes, gravy, steam rutabaga and fresh green beans.
I got home from work  about 5:30 and we were having dinner at 6:40.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 5

12 hours ago, CookBot said:

which made me wonder if the yellow split peas found in standard American markets could be used.

Yes, that's the same thing. The green type can also be used, but is less appealing to the eye. 

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

13 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Yes! I was thinking of Marcella Hazan's Rice & Smothered Cabbage Soup. Did@weinoomention it recently? I think someone did. 🙂

I mentioned the smothered cabbage for sure, and I think it's the base for that soup!

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@JoNorvelleWalker 

'' @rotuts You have a CSO and an APO.  Lack of fresh local bakery bread is no excuse. ''

of course you are correct .  

I try to rest on Mondays .

and some other days .

and having these ingredients 

right in front of me 

doesn't even slow me down.

and , w the CSO and a refrigerator 

both you will need 

I have very good bread 

just not crunchy aromatic bread .

Im happy !

F.D : the Local has a few other styles 

Ill look into it .

• Like 2

21 hours ago, &roid said:

We don’t often have sweet potatoes but I needed some for a curry base recently so had half a bag left over. 

Me and youngest kitchen porter decided to make some gnocchi with them which were delicious. Fried in some brown butter with a bit of sage and served with a tomato sauce to cut though the richness a bit. They had a great light texture, much nicer than “normal” potato ones I’ve made.  

C22EC288-C0C5-47F3-9F7F-AA4E23A718BD.jpeg

5F27239F-CCA5-4DC4-9EFD-3E60C791385D.jpeg

Love that! I have some sweet potatoes left that I didn’t cook for the casserole Thanksgiving. May try this with one (they’re ginormous) of them.

Very cute kitchen porter!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com