• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Reading about @shain's trip to Thailand had me thinking of previous travels...  In particular, I was thinking about Jay Fai - a street food vendor near Chinatown in Bangkok who was the first street vendor to get a Michelin star.  Long before her star though I had the pleasure of going there based on some discussions I had at the time with some Bangkok local foodies on a travel message board.  She is known for using really high quality seafood in standard Thai streetfood dishes, and executing them really well.  One of the dishes she's known for is her version of Tom Yum Goong - although her version is typically Tom Yum Talay since she uses a few different types of seafood, not just prawns.

I had defrosted some wild caught cod from Wild Fork, and decided to make tom yum cod hang - basically tom yum flavored stir fry.

PXL_20220123_013115418.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.6187e72a722295b4eb3298c07d2cb83d.jpg

Lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves from my garden.

Here's some dishes from Jay Fai:

IMG_3945.thumb.JPG.8ed9952ef475c6fd43c9d58afdbc8bc5.JPG

IMG_3944.thumb.JPG.af609f956a71b03314fe1e0bdd178938.JPG

And some action shots of the lady herself:

IMG_3946.thumb.JPG.4204fa52b0c5083819f9d5b971eff09c.JPG

IMG_3943.thumb.JPG.44de1a05fe3188f1be8ab29e22b0ca84.JPG

Charcoal powered woks with an electric fan underneath when she wants a turbo boost

Amazing.  A good friend has enjoyed her food and praised it as well.

You can see the wok-hay oozing from that dish.  Unreal.  But with a volcano like that powering things, not surprising!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Duvel said:

… or you make it yourself as (visually) outlined here, with the exact (written) recipe here ☺️

Thanks for posting this recipe again. I've made it several times and I'm just not quite satisfied with the texture. Would you clarify again what you mean by soda water. Do you use just sparkling water or is it a mineral water?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thanks for posting this recipe again. I've made it several times and I'm just not quite satisfied with the texture. Would you clarify again what you mean by soda water. Do you use just sparkling water or is it a mineral water?

It’s sparkling water. It makes the resulting loaf a bit fluffier (for a lack of a better work for less dense). Can you describe what issues you have with the texture ? Maybe we can troubleshoot it …

this was my dinner last night :

IMG_0651.thumb.jpg.53110929bf9cd7caf1e629db8863f637.jpg

the color is off a bit , its not really that orange 

TJ's fresh 1/4 loaf bread :  fresh , except Monday's.   good crumb 

and right there in front of me !  Olive Oil ( Kalamata ) granulated garlic and onion , and tuscan Sunset 

\then CSO'd # 6    very tasty 

Turkey Ragu ( iPot'd ) from frozen ' brick's Vacc'd )  chopped in 1/2 while still Fz

and resealed.   much easier to deal w than when thawed  .

Barilla Campanelle , minimal water method , when cooked , the reheated 

TR mixed in .  w TJ's Parmesian-ish and Window Green onions 

the G.O. have not be renewed for quite a while , and at this point are

' very full flavored '      

I was surprised how good this meal was !   the bread is very complementary

and 1/2 TR Brick makes two meals for me

TJ's table red  ( Phigment , now an extra 2 years old !  still , a table wine )

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

On 1/20/2022 at 3:58 PM, Kim Shook said:

Big hugs to you all.  One of the best ways I've found to memorialize loved ones is with food.  I try to call recipes by the names of the people who made them or gave them to me.  Among the 1700+ recipes on my webpage are many eponymous ones from family and friends, including many, many from eG, including @andiesenji, @Ann_T, @C. sapidus, @Darienne, @David Ross, @deensiebat, @Dejah, @Domestic Goddess, @Fat Guy, @gfweb, @Jaymes, @Chufi, @Marlene, @mgaretz, @Norm Matthews, @patti, @suzilightning and, of course, you, @Shelby.  Among others - I'm sure I've missed some.  Some of these folks are still active, some aren't and some are gone completely, but when I come across a recipe or make something, I remember them.  It is a good moment!  

@Kim Shook, thank you. I'm touched to be mentioned with all of these wonderful members who share their meals and recipes with us. 

• Like 4

as an explanation of the ' Brick ' technique :

IMG_0653.jpg.bbce7c85638e79f03285365afa7ab4ce.jpg

I use the semi-disposable containers noted above R  

( can be re-used forever )  for liquids ( stock ) and semi-solids

Turkey Ragu.   After their manufacture , they chill in the container,

then are frozen solid in that same container, then  chamber Vacc'd  :  brick is on the L

I open the bag when still very frozen , the brick comes right out

and chop in 1/2 or what ever amount I plan to use

then  immediately re-vacc , in the same bag.

no muss and no fuss.

P.S.:  Bricks are very easy to stack in the freezer .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

On 1/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, Smithy said:

Apologies for following up days after the fact, but this beautiful dinner caught my eye and I'd like to try it. How did you go about coating and cooking that halibut, please?

Guidance on the potatoes would not be amiss either, but it's the fish I'd especially like to try making.

@Smithy, the potatoes are simple.  While the oven is heating up to 450°F, I peel and cut the potatoes ( I use russets) into wedges or cubes. 

Rinse in cold water and dry well.   Add some olive oil to the hot pan. 

Toss in the potatoes, coat with oil and roast turning once or twice until golden, crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.   

Season with salt and pepper or your favourite mix.   Sometimes I add a few cracked garlic cloves in while roasting as well. 

The recipe for the Parmesan Crusted halibut can be found here.......https://thibeaultstable.com/2010/10/11/parmesan-crusted-halibut-2/

@Tropicalsenior, I'm so glad that you made hamburger buns from that recipe.  I was thinking that it would probably be a great dough for hamburgers as well.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

It’s sparkling water. It makes the resulting loaf a bit fluffier (for a lack of a better work for less dense). Can you describe what issues you have with the texture ? Maybe we can troubleshoot it …

That could have been my problem. I used a sparkling mineral water. It could have been that my mixture wasn't emulsified enough because in order to keep it cold enough I may not have mixed it thoroughly.** It was more the texture of meatloaf with quite a lot of air pockets.

**Disadvantage of working in a tropical kitchen.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That could have been my problem. I used a sparkling mineral water. It could have been that my mixture wasn't emulsified enough because in order to keep it cold enough I may not have mixed it thoroughly. It was more the texture of meatloaf with quite a lot of air pockets.

There are basically three factors you might look into:

1) Temperature (as you suggested): if you come above 10 oC the emulsion you create by viciously beating the meat mixture is prone to break.

2) Not beating enough or having too coarse minced meat. You need to get to that uniformly pink sticky mess state. The meat mixture needs to behave like a dough.

3) No phosphates. You need to use baking powder with phosphates added, because these retain the water in the mixture when it cooks …

Hope this helps - PM me if we want to look into your next trial 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking along with the "cook-off".

Miso-Madeira marinated flat wings.

bkxbwZ4.jpg

Lemongrass-fish sauce-Madeira marinade.

A8tRqWA.jpg

Remove the cartilage, crape flesh down with a small but not flimsy knife and twist off the smaller bone. Make sure to sharpen the knife before starting. Marinate the wings overnight, best to smear the marinade all over the inside and out.

QlcahIN.jpg

I make this every summer and cook on the Weber in the garden.

B2JIx6m.jpg

Udon noodles

nU2JmSZ.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

15 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Cooking along with the "cook-off".

Miso-Madeira marinated flat wings.

bkxbwZ4.jpg

Lemongrass-fish sauce-Madeira marinade.

A8tRqWA.jpg

That looks very yummy - please feel free to post your method & this great outcome directly in the Cook-Off as well 🤗

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

you make it yourself as (visually) outlined here, with the exact (written) recipe here ☺️

I guess it is time for us to make it ourselves - looking over your pics and recipe I have a question about your minced pork - did you use regular store bought ground pork or (double) grind it yourself to have better control over how finely it is ground ?

• Like 1

Vegetarian stuffed red bell peppers. Kasha (finally used up the box), mushrooms, onions/garlic, carrots. Little bit of cheese mixed in and on top. 

E90183B4-8029-49F7-BB51-B7C26BA1728E.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Had cooked a whole package of fresh Shanghai noodles a couple of days ago. Used the leftover up tonight with some stir-fried mixed vegetables and a whole pile of spicy tomato shrimp.
I peeled hubby's shrimp, but I like mine shell on. - taste better that way. He doesn't know how to stuff the whole shrimp in his mouth then spit out the shells as I do. 🤪
Short cuts today: shrimp were seasoned, tossed with oil and cornstarch, fried up in a hot wok, then added spicy ketsup and some salsa I had left in a jar.

2007502871_ShrimpNoodles6334.jpg.f66377a450d55b83eb1e9fb8b89a42e3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com