• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I finished the horrid rib steak I'd cooked two night's ago.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163549-dinner-2022/?do=findComment&comment=2355875

Trying to masticate it into submission I pulled out a crown.  One of the more expensive steaks I've had in some years.

Why would you keep a horrid steak?  You have plenty of orgeat!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I finished the horrid rib steak I'd cooked two night's ago.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163549-dinner-2022/?do=findComment&comment=2355875

Trying to masticate it into submission I pulled out a crown.  One of the more expensive steaks I've had in some years.

You need to cook it like I cook Costa Rican steaks. I cut them in razor thin strips and make stroganoff or stir fry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Why would you keep a horrid steak?  You have plenty of orgeat!

Wondering the same thing. Not into wasting food unnecessarily but when something is horrible I have learned to bin it with a clean conscience. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, mgaretz said:

Sirloin (not a horrid steak) cooked SV then seared, served with snap peas in butter.

I did not add a steak to my shopping list because the prices make me shudder but your peas looks so good that I did add those!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I did not add a steak to my shopping list because the prices make me shudder but your peas looks so good that I did add those!

The peas weren’t that good, I think they were picked a little too early. Sirloin semi-regularly goes on sale here for $3.99/lb so I stock up, vacuum pack and freeze it. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

29 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

The peas weren’t that good, I think they were picked a little too early. Sirloin semi-regularly goes on sale here for $3.99/lb so I stock up, vacuum pack and freeze it. 

That is too bad. I paid almost as much for the peas as I would have not so long ago for the steak!  I hope they turn out to be good. One day I may adjust to the new cost of beef, just not yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Wondering the same thing. Not into wasting food unnecessarily but when something is horrible I have learned to bin it with a clean conscience. 

Worse, I have another whole steak left from the package.  And the dentist's office is closed today.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Steak tartare?

I'm thinking I might cook it sous vide for a couple days to see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For a weeknight this was good and better than expected. Will not exhaust with a method paragraph, but wish I could give credit for who shared it a few months ago somewhere.  

Oven roasted salmon/shrimp. Sushi grade salmon--rare inside and crispy skin. No albumin--just a tiny bit. Salmon was ice cold/partially frozen when cut, then marinated kept cold. 

New to me sticky rice, 4 sisters

Some call this a SushiCaliforniaBowl. Nah. Maybe with some avocado. I was planning sushi rolls but not happening on a weeknight. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.26.44 PM.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Thanks for the anniversary wishes. The Indian restaurant we went to must have changed owners / chefs since we were there last. It was the lovely naan (actually made to order in their tandoori oven) that we loved, bubbled, layers, light, but these were flat, and appeared to be pre-made and reheated perhaps on the flat top. The buffet was ok, but not up to par of the previous chef. However, it was still a nice evening off from cooking.

The next morning at 9:30, I had a molar pulled. It has given me lots of trouble, so out it came! Soft food was prescribed.

Made a big pot of conger with pork bones and ginger. Topped it up with Century egg, pork floss, fuyu, and Chinese cruellers (softens in the congee). No pictures.

Last night, I made hubby's family's favourite comfort food: creamed salmon with peas (in cream of mushroom soup) with a KD Mac'n'Cheese moat.

1735029743_CreamedSalmonMacnCheese8570.jpg.554202b5bef5b896424e3b29fa0aba6b.jpg

Roofers came at 8 am this morning, so there was no sleeping in. Had picked up 2 cases of B.C Freestone peaches, and got busy making hubby's Nana's Peach Apricot Pineapple Conserve.
Scrambled some eggs, made toast, and had some of the conserve for supper / dessert as one tonight. Just a picture of the conserve in the pot. Will bring to a boil and ladle into sterilized jars tomorrow.                                                          

conserve8578.jpg.0b286573028c3775535143914ec0bc2b.jpg   

Think I will be eating more "chewable" food tomorrow!                            

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

Last night, I made hubby's family's favourite comfort food: creamed salmon with peas (in cream of mushroom soup) with a KD Mac'n'Cheese moat.

Can I assume canned salmon? 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Can I assume canned salmon? 

Oh yes. Would be a waste of fresh salmon.
We love both the canned and fresh. I stockpile Clover Leaf canned salmon whenever they go on sale. Right now I have 14 cans. LOL! 
Hubby will quite often request a can of salmon and toast for lunch. Easy for me!
My Mom always loved canned salmon. She likes to dump the can onto a plate, break the pieces up, add a bit of nicely chopped green onion, then a splash of hot oil.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

55 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Oh yes. Would be a waste of fresh salmon.

I am still giggling about this meal which is so not you— at least the you I thought I knew!  
Always have canned salmon in the house. It was a staple when I was growing up in Britain. Now salmon salad sandwiches, salmon patties with parsley sauce.  I have even been known to eat it cold from the can. I don’t consider it the same as fresh salmon. It is a different protein altogether. And that little bone in the canned salmon — oh my God! My husband used to consider that the best. Had to be dug out and given to him. Now I claim that treat. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am still giggling about this meal which is so not you— at least the you I thought I knew!  
Always have canned salmon in the house. It was a staple when I was growing up in Britain. Now salmon salad sandwiches, salmon patties with parsley sauce.  I have even been known to eat it cold from the can. I don’t consider it the same as fresh salmon. It is a different protein altogether. And that little bone in the canned salmon — oh my God! My husband used to consider that the best. Had to be dug out and given to him. Now I claim that treat. 

so funny! It's been so long since I had canned salmon that I forgot about that little bone. The few times in the last 40 years we have opened a can I don't believe my husband even knew that little bone existed. I got to it too fast. Same thing when we have sardines on toast. I confiscate this little spines at once. My justification is that I need the calcium more than he does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Dejah – thank you, ma’am!  I am a gravy/sauce fiend.  I also would be perfectly happy with the onion gravy poured over that good bread.  My mother always said that my turkey gravy was more like hash than gravy.  All the better to load on a yeast roll!

Still working with the potassium issue, of course.  It’s just confounding and seemingly nonsensical.  For instance, raw or cooked from frozen broccoli is considered low potassium, cooked from fresh is high.  Cooked carrots (which I don’t care for) are ok, but raw ones aren’t 😵.  What I’ve kind of settled on most days is being VERY sparing with potassium mg. for most of the day and being a little more free with my main meal.  Still trying to make good choices and watching servings.

Sunday night I made my best-ever fried green tomatoes:

1-IMG_0550.thumb.jpg.1c779e7603ce1304eef639421c2067c4.jpg

Perfectly tender on the inside and crisp on the outside.

With blackberries and sausage gravy and biscuits:

1-IMG_0552.thumb.jpg.888a751939131e95dce1a32d41da39b2.jpg

Tuesday night started with a salad for Mr. Kim and Jessica:

1-IMG_0564.jpg.8b50471d04e681127ab8b625108e81f3.jpg

No romaine for me and I’m not going to make them eat iceberg because that’s what I can have!

Roasted shrimp with Old Bay, saltines, and cocktail sauce:

1-IMG_0566.jpg.0a9e31f70a8a200de6a0a71d43049326.jpg

Whitefish salad from our favorite deli and some leftover fried green tomatoes:

1-IMG_0567.jpg.634db881c034fc9391eb624d0b224fd7.jpg

1-IMG_0568.jpg.0850dd4e273d7e3fe86f006e70eb73b8.jpg

Mr. Kim is supposed to be on vacation this week.  He had a couple of phone meetings Tuesday, had another one yesterday and will be in them most of the day today.  Glad we’re not in Hawaii or something🙄 😠.  But he has managed to do this:

1-IMG_0570.jpg.a18f14086fa8bfb0398acca374197c86.jpg

He had five of these going yesterday. 

What 40 pounds of pork butt looks like pulled:

1-Attachment.jpg.fcc8ddee9a8e1b1ef761813eaac2fff3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

Seabass was so fresh at the market it had the clearest eyes and bright red gills - had to grab some.  Certainly the healthiest, arguably the tastiest way to prep fish (the Chinese got this one right!) - steamed & hot flash sauced 

533D89D6-296A-47FB-9A3D-CAA47B34E9A1.thumb.jpeg.7fcaad0e9783f05403b8858d6c8850b9.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

7 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Seabass was so fresh at the market it had the clearest eyes and bright red gills - had to grab some.  Certainly the healthiest, arguably the tastiest way to prep fish (the Chinese got this one right!) - steamed & hot flash sauced 

533D89D6-296A-47FB-9A3D-CAA47B34E9A1.thumb.jpeg.7fcaad0e9783f05403b8858d6c8850b9.jpeg

Your steamed fish looks great.  But certainly the chinese don't have the lock on steamed fish!  I think I like the Thai style (with lime juice and tons of garlic) even more!

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Your steamed fish looks great.  But certainly the chinese don't have the lock on steamed fish!  I think I like the Thai style (with lime juice and tons of garlic) even more!

Thank you sir.  High praise given your exposure/experience in that genre!

I agree, while they do not have the lock on it, I have to give them props for the concept (unless I am missing something, surely our resident food historian @liuzhou can chime in and clarify!).

When I was still eating alliums, I would be right there with you.  But since I started this FODMAP'ish diet, garlic will beat me up days later - so I will stick to ginger and a bit of green onion 😛

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TicTac said:

First time I had that style was a Chinese woman (not sure her region of origin. It was a neighborhood get together and she had also found a beautiful fish,  That hot oil splash was new to me. There were a lot of other flavors going on in the primarily Vietnamese array so the way this method brought out the sweet delicacy was nice. Also nice you have such a fresh fish available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Thank you sir.  High praise given your exposure/experience in that genre!

I agree, while they do not have the lock on it, I have to give them props for the concept (unless I am missing something, surely our resident food historian @liuzhou can chime in and clarify!).

When I was still eating alliums, I would be right there with you.  But since I started this FODMAP'ish diet, garlic will beat me up days later - so I will stick to ginger and a bit of green onion 😛

Wait a minute... I just noticed... do my eyes deceive me or did you steam that fish without the skin?!?  And aren't green onions alliums also?